Page 47 of 420 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

BANNED

Yep, it was great watching at home. We all got up a few times and started dancing. Can’t do that in a theater.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    So Cruella has made 10 million in China after opening there last Sunday. That's not a great number but it was initially projected to make a pitiful $5 million for the entire run, so it at least supports that it's a good word of mouth movie.
    No more spin but Cruella does not seem to be doing well. Although I am more worried about artistic outcome going forward. Not sure Disney would want more sort of Cruella kind of movies.

Also Black Widow is next, I hope the MCU fans at least come out in full support for that film.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Yep, it was great watching at home. We all got up a few times and started dancing. Can’t do that in a theater.
    Cinemark Tinseltown.

You can get up, and dance all you like.

As long as you sit towards the front or in the back? No one is going to say a thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Cinemark Tinseltown.

You can get up, and dance all you like.

As long as you sit towards the front or in the back? No one is going to say a thing.
    You try that, it won’t be pretty for you

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    No more spin but Cruella does not seem to be doing well. Although I am more worried about artistic outcome going forward. Not sure Disney would want more sort of Cruella kind of movies.

Also Black Widow is next, I hope the MCU fans at least come out in full support for that film.
    I'd like Cruella to do well in the end because the alternative is possibly Disney getting the signal they should just release shot by shot remakes moving forward. Since I assume they're still going forward with stuff like Hercules.

And also because if they have to wait until Black Widow while Paramount, Warner and Universal steal their thunder in theaters, that cements them as the MCU studio plus food scraps properties.

You try that, it won’t be pretty for you
    You've obviously never set foot inside of the people's theater.

Dancing is just peachy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

You don’t have to worry about the MCU fans, they definitely will come out. The question is will everybody else come out..

In the Heights was predicted to open at $20 million, but only opened at $11 million, possible reasons are
    1. Not a blockbuster: non blockbuster movies are having a difficult time at the box office.
    2. HBO MAX: people has the choice to go to the theaters or watch at home. Streaming has become more popular than the experts believed.
    Most likely is reason 3 though:

3. Musical movies don't have big opening weekends, they tend to make profit by bringing in solid money on a steady basis for many weeks.

The Greatest Showman had an even worse opening weekend than In The Heights of 8.8 million, went on to make 174 million domestic.

La La Land started in a limited number of theaters so its opening weekend isn't comparable but the first weekend it played in roughly 2.000 theaters brought in only 14 million, yet it ended up with 151 million domestic.

The big question is how the box office will look in the Fall when the blockbusters are not being released.
    You mean the fall when No Time To Die, Dune and Eternals will be released? Those aren't blockbusters?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Let’s speak facts. The excuse about “musical don’t have a big opening” don’t fly here.
    The fact is ITH was predicted by box office experts to open at $20 million, that’s with covid and HBOMax.
    The fact is it open at $11 million, only a little more than half as predicted.
    There is no excuses, it just the sign of the times.

Retired

I watched the first twenty minutes of IN THE HEIGHTS and then turned it off. Maybe as a Broadway musical it's great--I watched a youtube on the musical that pointed out why it was important--but the movie felt too neat and sweet. Everyone's nice, everyone's beautiful, everyone's happy.

Let’s speak facts. The excuse about “musical don’t have a big opening” don’t fly here.
    The fact is ITH was predicted by box office experts to open at $20 million, that’s with covid and HBOMax.
    So the actual history of movies in the same genre isn't facts, but random people that claim to be experts making predictions are? That's kind of the opposite of what a fact is.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I present facts and you just come up with your usual babblings that are backed up with nothing but your opinion. That's discussing with you in a nutshell.

Also you are cherrypicking arguments how they suit your agenda. I didn't see you highlight the difference between predictions and actual results when The Conjuring 3, A Quiet Place 2, Mortal Kombat, Demon Slayer, Godzilla vs Kong all had better opening weekends than predicted. Now that a film did worse than predicted you suddenly present this as proof for anything.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

As I said before, it’s silly to compare 2021 gross to previous years, because ticket prices are much higher. Comparing ITH to other musicals released in previous years just don’t fly.
    This chart shows why you shouldn’t compare year vs year. Box office goes up, while attendance goes down.
    96DBE65D-CF60-42EA-B6D7-82354B1EAE25.jpg
    Last edited by luprki; 06-14-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    I present facts and you just come up with your usual babblings that are backed up with nothing but your opinion. That's discussing with you in a nutshell.

Also you are cherrypicking arguments how they suit your agenda. I didn't see you highlight the difference between predictions and actual results when The Conjuring 3, A Quiet Place 2, Mortal Kombat, Demon Slayer, Godzilla vs Kong all had better opening weekends than predicted. Now that a film did worse than predicted you suddenly present this as proof for anything.
    Or how he badmouthed Wrath of a Man's opening not realizing it wasn't really bad for a non-blockbuster Ritchie or Statham movie, especially in the middle of a pandemic. And now that it's approaching $100 million worldwide he's been all cricket sounds about it.

As I said before, it’s silly to compare 2021 gross to previous years, because ticket prices are much higher. Comparing ITH to other musicals released in previous years just don’t fly.
    Even adjusted from 4 years ago inflation The Greatest Showman's domestic opening wouldn't be above 10 millions today. Money is money as far as the studios are concerned. Don't work there.

HBO max it looks like is not to blame this time as the film bombed on hbo max also! No one cared to watch it for free also! Many says the ads didn't help telling nothing about the plot and no big name stars like greatest showman had. So what we have here is a classic "iron giant" and "john carter" case of a mis promoted film no one really cared about!

Ouch for in the heights. In other words even if things had been as they were pre virus the film it looks like would have done the same!

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...ax-1234995410/