Page 90 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140190 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    56M for Bond, sigh as it is below the expected numbers of 60m.

However it is still within the Bond pattern. Bond was never going to make as big as Venom or other mega home base USA franchise like MCU films such as Shang CHI or even Black Widow on opening weekend.

Bond in comparison with Venom/MCU films sort off reminds me of the so called YA era, when Hunger Games used to do better than the Harry Potter movies at the USA box office, this was not because Hunger games was a bigger or more influential franchise, It was because Hunger Games was a USA based franchise and harry potter was totally and unapologetic British even to the point, JK Rowling said, she wanted only British and Irish actors in the harry potter roles.

Bond is a very influential 50+ years franchise, However it still been a British series does have its pros and cons in the domestic USA market as Harry Potter movies did.
    The situation between James Bond and Harry Potter movies are different.

Harry Potter movies are produced by WB which is an American company. JK Rowling sold conditional movie rights to Harry Potter to WB.

James Bond movies are not produced by American studios. They are produced by Eon Productions which is a British company and is distributed by American studios. It's kind of like how the first three Superman movies were produced by the Salkinds (who owned the film rights to Superman at the time) and were only distributed by WB.

Eon Productions get millions of pounds in tax credits from the UK for that reason. It's a complicated arrangement with Bond but the long and short of it is the producers and distributors of the movies make most of their bank outside the US.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-10-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Terrible for Bond. Adults have not returned to theaters, and may never return. Adults appear to prefer streaming services.
    You also have to factor in a few other things..

Dallas, Texas- We had a 3 day week (kids got a fair day this Friday and NEXT Friday), Texas vs OU game and State Fair. NHL preseason is going on and everyone is ta full capacity. Same with NBA Preseason.

So that would hurt the box office for around here.
    I am sure other areas might have had something that would eat up profit.

Another thing in Texas-we still have 18 drive thru movie theaters. All have show double features for $7-8.
    Meaning James Bond was sharing a screen with either Candy Man or Free Guy or Venom or Shang at a few of them.

Not sure if that double feature is true outside of Texas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    While Bond USA box office may have fallen a little short, I do think it will have legs at the box office. I will be very surprised if the film drops more than 50% in the coming weeks, which should lead to a domestic of maybe 130-150 million, which will not be bad giving the circumstances.

Astonishing Member

Yea looking at the opening numbers for Bond films none have really blown the box office up domestically opening weekend. They all do pretty well. But 56 million for a bond film isn't to bad especially with covid stuff going on. I always had the impression that they did better in the states than they actually do. I guess Skyfall was the one that really kicked butt. But even that only opened at 88 million.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea looking at the opening numbers for Bond films none have really blown the box office up domestically opening weekend. They all do pretty well. But 56 million for a bond film isn't to bad especially with covid stuff going on. I always had the impression that they did better in the states than they actually do. I guess Skyfall was the one that really kicked butt. But even that only opened at 88 million.
    Exactly.

It's not a big opening by any stretch (it's actually a little low) but Bond movies aren't that big in the US. The highest grossing bond movie ever (Skyfall) is the only Bond movie to get over $300 m domestic (none of the others even came close). But like I explained earlier, they don't really need to be very big in the US given the nature of Bond ownership and distribution.

They generally make most of their box office internationally. Skyfall grossed around a massive $800m outside the US and even the much criticized Spectre did $679m outside the states.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-11-2021 at 10:36 AM.

Yeah bond was never as big here. They said that in some newer bond films only about 22% of it's world box office is america so it gets it's money overseas most of the time.

Skyfall only 25% and specter only 27% box office in america. So this is nothing new. The post hype for venom hyped this film up however.

Other box office new shang chi hits $400m ww.

New gundam movie makes 2.2 billion yen (US$19.57 million) in japan.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...office/.178350
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-11-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

It reinforces that for US theaters and anyone who believes in the theatrical experience, Marvel needs to keep churning out hits because there's nothing else that can get paying butts in seats like they can.

Bond makes $7m on monday.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This is why 2021 has seen a number of films really not do good and Hollywood seems to understand that. Black Widow , Shang-Chi and others would have done a lot better than they did. Films with duel releases on streaming has taken a big piece as well. So its a year where studios have to release something to theaters. Because theaters are gonna go up in flames unless they do.

Its why since spring 2020 I haven't done a box office weekly thread or anything planned where I discuss bombs etc. Because this year is a write off deal.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Retired

China has a population of almost 1.5 billion people; India has a population of nearly 1.4 billion people. China's movies are at the top of the box office charts; I don't know if I've ever seen India's movies on the box office charts at all. I've always been told that India has the largest film production in the world. Bollywood movies are not just popular in India, but in other countries. Where I live there are a few South Asian movie theatres--we've even had India film festivals where some of the biggest Bollywood actors have come to make personal appearances. Is it just that there are so many Bollywood movies that no one movie makes enough money to be reported? Or is it that the ticket prices are so low? Yet I would imagine in China that the ticket prices aren't very high, either. Poverty is widespread in India, but it's also widespread in China. Is it that India's box office is not being reported? What's the explanation?

Ultimate Member

I thought Indian, or at least Hindi, film industry is one of the biggest in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    China has a population of almost 1.5 billion people; India has a population of nearly 1.4 billion people. China's movies are at the top of the box office charts; I don't know if I've ever seen India's movies on the box office charts at all. I've always been told that India has the largest film production in the world. Bollywood movies are not just popular in India, but in other countries. Where I live there are a few South Asian movie theatres--we've even had India film festivals where some of the biggest Bollywood actors have come to make personal appearances. Is it just that there are so many Bollywood movies that no one movie makes enough money to be reported? Or is it that the ticket prices are so low? Yet I would imagine in China that the ticket prices aren't very high, either. Poverty is widespread in India, but it's also widespread in China. Is it that India's box office is not being reported? What's the explanation?
    India consists of many regions and movie tastes differ pretty much between them so a movie that is successful in one region doesn't necessarily play well in others. Bollywood is actually only a part of the country's film industry and its films succeed mostly in the Hindi speaking part of India, other regions (Punjab, Bengal, et cetera) prefer movies made by their own regional industries.

Then you have to factor in the extreme poverty and therefore low ticket prices. In contrast to China there is not such a big middle class willing to spend their money in cinemas.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I think Tamil, Telegu and Malayalam cinema are also pretty big

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Skyfall had so many things going for it.

- general good word of mouth

- An actually well done artistic movie in terms of film making

- Daniel Craig finally came into the role. No doubt his best performance as the character

- Skyfall collided with Bond's 50th anniversary and the publicity and marketing of the film really sold this angle. Skyfall was not just a film, it was a celebration of 50 years of Bond on the big screen

Put all this 4 recipes together and you get some impressive firsts for Bond at the box office, such as

1. A billion Dollar plus world wide gross

2. Crossing the 300 million dollar mark at the USA domestic box office

3. UK highest grossing film of all time until Force Awakens
    Last edited by Castle; 10-13-2021 at 09:16 AM.