Page 61 of 420 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

Well reporting on Box office numbers isn't exactly exciting in this day and age anyway here is an update on top 5 domestic ( not including streaming and all that jazz)

Fast and Furious- 157.8 million
    A Quiet Place 2- 156 milion
    Black Widow- 140.8 million
    Godzilla vs Kong - 100 million
    Cruella- 84 million

Nothing really spectacular coming this weekend unless you consider Snake Eyes spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    To further back up the significance of the Disney+ release one could look at the box office in BW's biggest market that has no Disney+ yet. In South Korea BW is shown exclusively in theaters and it had only a modest drop of 54% in its second weekend. https://variety.com/2021/film/asia/k...in-1235022684/ It also already became the most successful movie of the year in South Korea, beating F9 after only two weeks.
    In addition to this: In France the second weekend drop was also good with 50%. As French laws don't allow a day and date streaming release the movie is shown exclusively in theaters there. So we have two markets without simultaneous Disney+ release and the second weekend holds were pretty good there. But yeah, the big drop in the US has nothing to do with streaming and instead stems from Americans realizing that Ant-Man and Black Widow are exactly the same movie and opting to watch their Ant-Man blu-ray from the shelf instead of going to the cinema. What a profound "analysis"...
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Well reporting on Box office numbers isn't exactly exciting in this day and age anyway here is an update on top 5 domestic ( not including streaming and all that jazz)

Cruella- 84 million

Nothing really spectacular coming this weekend unless you consider Snake Eyes spectacular.
    Might be a weak weekend box office coming up.
    SJ2 has already fallen of the cliff.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-22-2021 at 07:00 PM.

BANNED

Cruella- 84 million

I think Snake Eyes is a better bellwether of theater strength than Black Widow. BW had a brand behind it, a behemoth. Snake Eyes has the potential to be a great film with great word of mouth, that no one's heard of before.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I think Snake Eyes is a better bellwether of theater strength than Black Widow. BW had a brand behind it, a behemoth. Snake Eyes has the potential to be a great film with great word of mouth, that no one's heard of before.

I don't know if Snake eyes has same day streaming or even who would do it. Not comparable. I doubt it does anything like 80 million. In fact nowhere close.

BANNED

I don't know if Snake eyes has same day streaming or even who would do it. Not comparable. I doubt it does anything like 80 million. In fact nowhere close.
    I'm not suggesting it needs to do BW numbers. But if it does impressively it means something. If it doesn't, that means something too. Really just trying to say that BW has always been a poor stake in the ground to measure COVID recovery.

Astonishing Member

I'm not suggesting it needs to do BW numbers. But if it does impressively it means something. If it doesn't, that means something too. Really just trying to say that BW has always been a poor stake in the ground to measure COVID recovery.

I dont know what your definition of impressively means.

BANNED

I dont know what your definition of impressively means.
    Let's imagine instead what the studios definition of impressive means.

Astonishing Member

Let's imagine instead what the studios definition of impressive means.
    I don't know what that is either. What I do know is it won't make anywhere near what it could have made in a normal year.

Box office--space jam 2 will not release in china theatres!

Also old and snakes eyes both getting not great reviews. Will that hurt both films this weekend?

Astonishing Member

Yeah people always assumed it would be huge every day and twice on weekends just for being MCU, but it's a one-off, in-between Avengers movies flick at the end of the day, instead of a linear continuation installment like Godzilla vs Kong or Fast 9. If BW ends up doing less than one or both of them in worldwide box office, I'd chalk it up to that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    RIP if true. It needed to make business similar to Godzilla vs Kong to be worth the expense, and without China now that's almost impossible.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

Also old and snakes eyes both getting not great reviews. Will that hurt both films this weekend?

This weekend aint gonna be pretty.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Yeah people always assumed it would be huge every day and twice on weekends just for being MCU, but it's a one-off, in-between Avengers movies flick at the end of the day, instead of a linear continuation installment like Godzilla vs Kong or Fast 9. If BW ends up doing less than one or both of them in worldwide box office, I'd chalk it up to that.

Fast 9 got released in China. BW did not. Its not comparable. Fast and Furious 9 made 215 million dollars alone in China.

What do you know people are coming back after week one.