Page 77 of 420 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Lol I came in to say basically the same thing. This only helps her case.

Why does it help her case? Does her contract state that Disney can only release it in movie theaters?

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    It doesnt matter if BW would have made more or less. All that matters is what is on the contract and how that is interpreted. They made an agreement with the theaters to do Shang Chi theater only. They didn't with Black Widow. Scarlett either has a case or she doesnt. But how Shang Chi is doing isn't relevant.
    Of course it does...

If you are asserting that your piece of the "Theatrical..." profit was hobbled by same day streaming?

How this film just opened is the perfect way to do so.

Why does it help her case? Does her contract state that Disney can only release it in movie theaters?
    0art of her case is that Disney cost her money. This helps prove that could be true. It's not only about the contract but also what it means if the terms were not met.

Astonishing Member

It doesnt matter if BW would have made more or less. All that matters is what is on the contract and how that is interpreted. They made an agreement with the theaters to do Shang Chi theater only. They didn't with Black Widow. Scarlett either has a case or she doesnt. But how Shang Chi is doing isn't relevant.
    BW was always going to make more money than Shang Chi since she's a more known and popular IP. Posters here are pointing out that SC opened with a 45 day theatre window and whatever it ends up with that figure multiplied by much more if BW had the same opportunity. However there was no way BW was going to hit all the marks that would have given Scarjo her 50M because it didn't open same time in China, COVID, and the lack of tickets sold internationally.

But Shang Chi did open with a much worse opening date(labor day) and probably worse COVID conditions(more cases). Either way both films did or are doing great in these conditions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    BW was always going to make more money than Shang Chi since she's a more known and popular IP.
    That's rather like saying Captain America was always going to make more than Guardians of the Galaxy. While agree with ScarJo's case, this is not a good argument for it

Astonishing Member

BW was always going to make more money than Shang Chi since she's a more known and popular IP. Posters here are pointing out that SC opened with a 45 day theatre window and whatever it ends up with that figure multiplied by much more if BW had the same opportunity. However there was no way BW was going to hit all the marks that would have given Scarjo her 50M because it didn't open same time in China, COVID, and the lack of tickets sold internationally.

But Shang Chi did open with a much worse opening date(labor day) and probably worse COVID conditions(more cases). Either way both films did or are doing great in these conditions.

Well logically I guess BW was suppose to make more money based on her being a more well known OP. But there isn't always a straight line there. I mean Black Panther made more money than Iron Man 3 and all three captain America movies. So I mean yea you can say, BW "should have" made more money based on a formula. But If you were to ask me what "should" make more money Captain America the winter solider, or Guardians of the Galaxy the first movie. I would have bet you good money that Cap would have made more money. And I would have lost.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    That's rather like saying Captain America was always going to make more than Guardians of the Galaxy. While agree with ScarJo's case, this is not a good argument for it

Yea I just typed that same thing lol

BANNED

Yea I just typed that same thing lol
    Astonishingly fantastic minds think alike

Astonishing Member

Should have probably pointed to Bastard's links where BW was the most anticipated movie of the year by far in a few polls. But I'm happy Shang Chi had such a great opening in a weekend where most movies open horribly. Either way if SC has much better holds posters are going to point to the theatre only and will multiple the end box office of SC with some figure they have in their head of how much BW should have ended up with.

BANNED

Should have probably pointed to Bastard's links where BW was the most anticipated movie of the year by far in a few polls. But I'm happy Shang Chi had such a great opening in a weekend where most movies open horribly.
    I am not sure what the remainder of your post is saying, but I wonder if the quoted part suggests that GotG was more anticipated than Captain America?

I am not sure what the remainder of your post is saying, but I wonder if the quoted part suggests that GotG was more anticipated than Captain America?
    Civil War had twice the opening weekend B O that GOTG did. It also beat GOTG 2.
    IM 3 and Ragnorak also beat GOTG opening by a wide margin.
    So easy to see BW opening much bigger without streaming.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-05-2021 at 06:47 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Civil War had twice the opening weekend B O that GOTG did. It also beat GOTG 2.
    IM 3 and Ragnorak also beat GOTG opening by a wide margin.
    So easy to see BW opening much bigger without streaming.

Captain America was coming off the Avengers one of the biggest movies of all time. Guardians which no one ever heard of beat Winter Soldier at the box office. And Winter soldier was is regarded by many as one of the top marvel movies. I think Black Widow probably does beat it without streaming and in reality did beat it because for whatever reason people just like to ignore streaming money. But there is no sure thing with these Marvel movies as one movie just smokes another one. I mean if someone would have told me Black Panther was going to make almost as much as Avengers Age of Ultron and actually made more in the states ( a lot more) I would have called them insane.

But Black Widow did make more than Shang Chi. But if people ignore streaming then it didn't. So here is the real question for movie companies like Disney. Say Shang Chi did have a same day release and only made 50 million but made 40 million streaming. Is that better or worse? I mean its worse for the theaters, but for the Disney company? Well I don't know.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 09-05-2021 at 09:18 PM.

My search showed Civil War at $1.15 billion, and GOTG at $772 million.
    Where do you see GOTG beating Civil War?

And GOTG made its money with staying power once people knew how good it was. It's opening was not as big as the other Marvel movies I showed above,
    Leads me to think BW would have made much more at the box office if not for streaming.And that would have been more $ for Scarjo.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-06-2021 at 06:09 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    My search showed Civil War at $1.15 billion, and GOTG at $772 million.
    Where do you see GOTG beating Civil War?

And GOTG made its money with staying power once people knew how good it was. It's opening was not as big as the other Marvel movies I showed above,
    Leads me to think BW would have made much more at the box office if not for streaming.And that would have been more F for Scarjo.
    Sorry I mean Winter soldier.

And again. I have not seen Shang Chi. I want to. But not going to the theaters. So from me at least Disney lost 30 bucks. Not that I think they are sweating it
    Last edited by inisideguy; 09-05-2021 at 09:20 PM.

We can assume they were equally anticipated until you bring up facts (like I did for BW and Shang-Chi) that lead us to believe otherwise. I checked the teaser trailer views in the first 24 hours and they were pretty similar with 23.5 million for CA:WS and 22.8 million for GOTG so that doesn't point to Cap's movie being much more anticipated. And it's not like GOTG outgrossed WS by a huge margin, both ended up in the 700-800 million range.

And as I already said, for Scarlett's case the opening weekend isn't that important. The notion is that the parallel streaming option hurts a movie's legs at the box office which is illustrated by BW's big drops on subsequent weekends. So Shang-Chi having good holds in the upcoming weeks and overtaking BW's result in the end despite a lower opening is basically what proves their point. BW has a multiplier of 2.2, Shang-Chi is projected to have a multiplier higher than 3, it's obvious that streaming is the main reason for the difference.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.