Page 343 of 420 FirstFirst ... 243293333339340341342343344345346347353393 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,145 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Re:Barbie.

It's interesting how the biggest movies of the summer feature diverse casts and non-white male leads.

Apart from Oppenheimer, most movies direct towards older males have been put through the meat grinder this summer.

People need to stop questioning these studios for going woke, the numbers speak for themselves.
    tbh I don't think ppl going to SMB,GTG, Spiderverse 2 or Barbie see those movies as woke.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Barbie just looks like a fun , leave your brain at the door type film and people need fun in these times. It really feels like some wild 80s type film.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    MI7 is screwed because it has to go up against the biggest movie event of the year on its second weekend. The numbers for Barbie and Oppenheimer are absolutely bonkers. The Barbenheimer hype practically overshadowed MI7 completely. On top of that it lost all IMAX screens to Oppenheimer and most other PLF screens to either Oppenheimer or Barbie.

To make things worse one can assume that Sound of Freedom also takes away some of the potential moviegoers from MI7. Top Gun: Maverick with its unapologetic patriotism and militarism was the rare case where people from Republican states who usually avoid liberal Hollywood nowadays flocked to movie theaters to see it. If Tom Cruise was hoping these guys would come back for his next movie he now has to realize that they rather choose Sound of Freedom.

That said, the last MI movies never did great numbers at the domestic market, it's a franchise that relies on the international box office. But the Barbenheimer hype is also huge in Europe and Latin America so it'll likely affect MI7 there, too.
    True. But honestly even without those big movies its opening 5 day was barely better than Indiana Jones. So it wasn't blowing the doors off of anything before that. Now its buried.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Barbie just looks like a fun , leave your brain at the door type film and people need fun in these times. It really feels like some wild 80s type film.
    Well, it's made by Greta Gerwig, who generally writes with a feminist and satirical angle, so I'm not sure about it being a "leave your brain at the door" movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    It is clearly what the usual suspects would label ultra-woke, even getting a bit preachy with its message. I didn't mind that and liked it but for the anti-woke crowd it's a prime example for a movie that preaches "hate against men".

They don't matter though, the target audience loves it and gave it an A CinemaScore so chances for it to become this year's second billion dollar movie are pretty good.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    These drops for Mission Impossible are awful. Its running behind Indiana Jones pace. Who predicted this?
    I think MI will rebound. I don't think Barbi will keep going and Oppenheimer will peter out quick.

Mighty Member

The release pattern of Sound of Freedom is weird.

People are going to see it but from Angel Studios website, it looks like their "pay tickets forward" plan has sold about $120 million worth of tickets (approximately). How this should counted regarding its box office is up for debate.

All this being said, the movie's theater count has been going up, that means that people are definitely going to see it. It's not showing where I live but where it's available it appears people are indeed watching it.
    There is no denying that people are definitely going to see Sound of Freedom, but even conservative Twitter accounts shown that some theaters have been empty.

How does the "pay tickets forward" plan actually work if Angel Studios are buying full screens, even if they are near empty it still counts as sold out so theaters will increase the number of movie screens base on ticket sales not the number of of actual people seated in the theaters.

News--

Regal has to make a virtual queue for online tickets due to how much demand barbie and opp is having!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c..._queue_due_to/

This is no way home like stuff!

China has to increase barbies showtimes!

In #China’s #BoxOffice, local exhibitors played catch up, increasing #Barbie ’s screenings on SAT from 9k to 16k,due to strong WOM. The film grossed 2.8M on SAT,up huge +133% from 1.2M FRI Opening Day, for a 4M cume. For SUN, $1.7M in pre-sales alone & screenings increased to 25k!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c..._played_catch/

Early Weekend Estimates: BARBIE ($165-170M+) and Nolan’s OPPENHEIMER ($75-80M+) Drive Historic Weekend as ‘Barbenheimer’ Craze Takes Over Cinemas
    https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...0m_and_nolans/

May be $80m now for oppi and barbie may hit $165m to $170m.

Astonishing Member

Just a note about Oppenheimer, most of the audience that turned up for it were in the 18-34 range.

That is very, very surprising. I would have thought the audience for the movie would be much older.
    I'd like to think Florence Pugh having a notable role in it has to do with it. And maybe The Kids have been getting into Nolan in latest years.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I think MI will rebound. I don't think Barbi will keep going and Oppenheimer will peter out quick.
    I think you are in for two bad surprises then. All indicators point to the opposite. Barbenheimer came to stay.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    China has to increase barbies showtimes!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c..._played_catch/
    Funny how they no longer care that Simu Liu has a prominent role in that movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    There is no denying that people are definitely going to see Sound of Freedom, but even conservative Twitter accounts shown that some theaters have been empty.

How does the "pay tickets forward" plan actually work if Angel Studios are buying full screens, even if they are near empty it still counts as sold out so theaters will increase the number of movie screens base on ticket sales not the number of of actual people seated in the theaters.
    I would suspect it depends on where it is being shown.
    I would suspect in larger cities you might have near empty theaters but in smaller to mid cities I bet it's fuller.

Ultimate Member

I am looking at my theater and the 10:30 PM showing has 20 seat already paid for. 11 is at 4. Barbie as 18 showings.
    Barbie will have 20 showing this week.
    Barbie's 9:25 showing has 40 seats already paid for.
    At another theatre-the SPANISH language showings are all SOLD OUT.

Oppenheimer only has 9.
    Oppenheimer is DONE for the night. 8:30 was the last showing.
    At ANOTHER theater every showing of the movie is sold out. INCLUDING a 2 AM showing.

Sound of Freedom has 5.
    At that other theater-all the Spanish showings are SOLD OUT.
    The last showing is 3 away from being SOLD OUT.

MI7 has 6.

Elemental was done for the day with only 3
    Spiderverse was done with 2 showing.
    Little Mermaid & Transformers had 1.
    NONE of these showed after 4:25.
    No Flash or Indy.

In fact The Flash is DONE at Cinemark.

As of right now Friday 7/25/2024 Barbie will have only 4 while Haunted House has 8.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    tbh I don't think ppl going to SMB,GTG, Spiderverse 2 or Barbie see those movies as woke.
    Agreed. Pretty much all the movies have pretty diverse casting. The blockbusters are pretty diverse, the losers are pretty diverse, the meh are pretty diverse.

Astonishing Member

I totally forgot that haunted mansion was out next week. I’ve only seen like one trailer, seems a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah, I remember hearing since I was kid, about ‘Barbie giving girls eating disorders.’ My mom wasn’t even much of a feminist and she would still complain about no brown haired Barbies. I don’t think most people, even right leaning people really consider Barbie very ‘feminist’.