Page 344 of 420 FirstFirst ... 244294334340341342343344345346347348354394 ... LastLast
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I totally forgot that haunted mansion was out next week. I’ve only seen like one trailer, seems a little odd.

Yeah, I remember hearing since I was kid, about ‘Barbie giving girls eating disorders.’ My mom wasn’t even much of a feminist and she would still complain about no brown haired Barbies. I don’t think most people, even right leaning people really consider Barbie very ‘feminist’.
    Haunted Mansion might be another troubled release if it cost too much to make, because Jungle Cruise didn't give me the impression Disney park movies are blockbusters. It looks fun with DeVito and all but I'm not sure if people now like family friendly horror rather than the real article (like the last Insidious sequel which is doing more than $100 million worldwide currently).

About Barbie, rest assured that even if blonde Margot Robbie is initially presented as stereotypical Barbie, the movie features as many diverse, capable and even crazy/weird Barbies as they could fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Haunted Mansion might be another troubled release if it cost too much to make, because Jungle Cruise didn't give me the impression Disney park movies are blockbusters. It looks fun with DeVito and all but I'm not sure if people now like family friendly horror rather than the real article (like the last Insidious sequel which is doing more than $100 million worldwide currently).

About Barbie, rest assured that even if blonde Margot Robbie is initially presented as stereotypical Barbie, the movie features as many diverse, capable and even crazy/weird Barbies as they could fit.
    Haunted Mansion’s budget is estimated to be around $157 million. Both Barbie and Openheimer have gotten great reviews and I’m sure will have positive word of mouth, so they could both have a very strong second weekend. Haunted Mansion could be in trouble.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Haunted Mansion’s budget is estimated to be around $157 million. Both Barbie and Openheimer have gotten great reviews and I’m sure will have positive word of mouth, so they could both have a very strong second weekend. Haunted Mansion could be in trouble.
    The budget again. And let's not forget the tight schedules here, because rather than Haunted Mansion I'd bet more on the movie about giant killer sharks (and at least another sea cryptid) coming out on the following weekend, The Meg 2, which is also marketed as more fun than grindhouse. And about MI, having to share screens with Barbie and Oppenheimer on the following weekend while having gone overbudget might not have been optimal but since Cruise supports theatrical recovery he should take solace in that at least because right now theaters are benefitting more than the studios with some overbudgeted tentpoles. Compared to late last year, do you remember? When for several months it was the theaters suffering from big movies delayed by pandemic post-production issues. Hopefully the actors strike doesn't cause something similar or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I don’t think most people, even right leaning people really consider Barbie very ‘feminist’.
    Ben Shapiro (and I believe every YouTube grifter who makes a living from hating on "woke" movies) made a 43 minute video ranting about Barbie's "woke" agenda...
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

According to Box Office Mojo, through Friday, Barbie dropped a nuke on Oppenheimer, earning $70.5 million while Christopher Nolan's epic came in a distant second with $33 million.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/?ref_=bo_nb_di_mojologo
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    According to Box Office Mojo, through Friday, Barbie dropped a nuke on Oppenheimer, earning $70.5 million while Christopher Nolan's epic came in a distant second with $33 million.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/?ref_=bo_nb_di_mojologo
    But Barbie is in more theaters and has more showings. Barbie is obviously a phenomenon, But a movie about a WWII science project doing this well, against what could be the hit of the summer is pretty good. I don't think anyone is thinking Oppenheimer will actually compete against Barbie for top B O.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Barbie is 114min vs Oppenheimer's 180min. FWIW I'll probably enjoy Barbie more than Oppenheimer.

Astonishing Member

Holy crap MI7 brought in 19 million for 2nd weekend, a 64 percent drop. Its a freaking disaster. Behind Indiana Jones now.

Ultimate Member

Conservatives are going into a complete meltdown over Barbie.

No surprises there. It's bears repeating that they are so laser focsed on Disney because some idiots told them to while other studios are putting more overtly woke stuff in their films. I don't think Disney has ever made a movie as overtly progressive as Barbie (seriously, the films entire plot is based off of stuff the US right wing loathes).

Some conservatives are enraged because Barbie has a trans actor which is ridiculous because a few movies this year had trans actors in them but they didn't react to them because they didn't know (Evil Dead Rise had a trans actor in one of the lead roles for example) and their followers weren't told to go after them. It's all so silly.

Regarding MI-7, it's drop was pretty catastrophic and as Insideguy pointed out is Indiana Jones level (I think it's doing worse than Indy 5 domestically). This is another film that's underperformed and might actually lose money if that reported budget is correct because I can't see the movie covering its production budget domestic (I.e grossing over $300m in the US) or doubling it globally (I can't see it hitting $700 m ww either).

That being said, upcoming weeks and months look a little barren and that could help it.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-23-2023 at 09:06 AM.

Opper overperformed to nuke $80m. Highest opening for a nolen film!

Barbie rules theatres with an incredible $155m however some think it's $160m. We will find out who is right monday but that's an amazing opening.

All films this weekend combined box office made $300m.

Barbie cost a net of $128M before P&A, while Oppenheimer cost around $100M.
    https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-off...er-1235443828/

So, barbie already made its production cost back and needs to make its marketing budget back after one weekend!

Also from box office reddit--

Looks like toy story doing well as well.

I was curious to see how well all the movies were doing at my local theater during Barbenheimer weekend, so I went on the presale app to see. It's a Regal in a suburban Southeast area, with 4D, 3D, RPX, and IMAX

Barbie - At least 2 showings every hour from 9 am to as late as 10:40 pm, as well as 3 RPX screenings. Almost every seat is sold out in the morning, afternoon, and early night, and even the 9 and 10 pm showings are half full. 2 of the 3 RPX screenings are full, and the third one (9:55 pm) has a handful of tickets sold

Oppenheimer - 1 RPX, 3 Imaxes and one regular showing every 2 hours. All 3 Imaxes are near-sold out as well as the RPX, and all the regular showings are near-sold out save for the 10 pm one

Mission Impossible - One regular showing an hour, plus 4 4D showings. Regular showings mostly have filled up the back rows, but aren't filling up the front rows like Barbenheimer are, and the same can be said for the first 2 4D showings (the latter 2 4D shows only sold a handful of tickets)

Insidious - Five showings, but they're all dead and have only sold 2-3 tickets each. (If the management at this theater is smart, they should get rid of Insidious and give more showings to Sound of Freedom and Oppenheimer)

Elemental - Five showings, which have each sold a few tickets, with the exception of the 12:30 showing that's sold a dozen

Toy Story (Reissue) - Five screenings. The morning one is near-sold out, while the middle three have sold a handful and the 10 pm one is dead

Spiderverse - Four showings, with the 3:20 selling more tickets than any of the Elemental shows and the others ranging from decent to a 10:15 pm showing with no tickets sold

Indiana Jones - Four showings, but they're all over the place, ranging from a near-dead morning and late night showing to a 70% full 2:30 showing and half full 6:15 showing

Sound of Freedom - Only 3 showings, but all 3 showings only having a few seats left in the front row. This theater is close to a few conservative neighborhoods, so I'm honestly surprised there's only 3 showings a day considering how well they're selling

The Little Mermaid - Three showings, that have only sold four tickets combined

No Hard Feelings - Two late-night showings. One sold a few tickets, the other sold none

Transformers - A singular 10:20 am showing, which has sold 3 tickets. That's more than The Little Mermaid could say at least...

Joy Ride - One showing at 10:05 pm. Zero tickets sold. Yikes.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...t_local_movie/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 07-23-2023 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Conservatives are going into a complete meltdown over Barbie.

No surprises there. It's bears repeating that they are so laser cused on Disney because some idiots told them to while other studios are putting more overtly woke stuff in their films. I don't think Disney has ever made a movie as overtly progressive as Barbie (seriously, the films entire plot is based off of stuff the US right wing loathes).

Some conservatives are enraged because Barbie has a trans actor which is ridiculous because a few movies this year had trans actors in them but they didn't react to them because they didn't know (Evil Dead Rise had a trans actor in one of the lead roles for example) and their followers weren't told to go after them. It's all so silly.

Regarding MI-7, it's drop was pretty catastrophic and as Insideguy pointed out is Indiana Jones level (I think it's doing worse than Indy 5 domestically). This is another film that's underperformed and might actually lose money if that reported budget is correct because I can't see the movie covering its production budget domestic (I.e grossing over $300m in the US) or doubling it globally (I can't see it hitting $700 m ww either).

That being said, upcoming weeks and months look a little barren and that could help it.
    Awww boo hoo Barnie will play a violin for the woke broke crowd. Impossible should have picked a better release date.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Awww boo hoo Barnie will play a violin for the woke broke crowd. Impossible should have picked a better release date.
    Yeah, Paramount should have picked a better date.

For all the talk about Barbie being a surprise, the IP is one of the most popular in the world and my understanding is that Barbie still generates billions in revenue annually for Mattel. The movie was always going to be an event even if it didn't open as big as it did. Oppenheimer is Nolan movie, his name attracts audiences. Tenet made over $300m ww in the midst of covid lockdowns, the man is a draw and he shoots for IMAX and premium screens which MI-7 banked upon.

Paramount should have seen these signs and moved MI-7 to a safer date

EDIT: Barbie toy sales have exceeded a billion dollars for the last 3 years. It generated about $1.5 billion in revenue last year.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-23-2023 at 08:30 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think Barbie is like Mario, hits nostalgia and still appeals to kids.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Ben Shapiro (and I believe every YouTube grifter who makes a living from hating on "woke" movies) made a 43 minute video ranting about Barbie's "woke" agenda...
    That’s nice, I said ‘most people’ (as in ‘normal people’ who don’t have YouTube channels) I’ve mentioned before that I live in red state, I haven’t heard or seem anyone complaining about Barbie or calling it woke. The local movie critic said it funny and cute.
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 07-23-2023 at 09:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

Paramount clearly made a mistake with the date. They probably underestimated Barbie as well. Banking on Cruise coming off the huge TG:Maverick they likely thought all other films should be wary of us. Instead of picking a safer window. Too many options with the numbers Barbie and Oppenheimer are pulling. I planned to actually see MI-7 in Theatres but haven't made it yet.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Paramount clearly made a mistake with the date. They probably underestimated Barbie as well. Banking on Cruise coming off the huge TG:Maverick they likely thought all other films should be wary of us. Instead of picking a safer window. Too many options with the numbers Barbie and Oppenheimer are pulling. I planned to actually see MI-7 in Theatres but haven't made it yet.
    I don't think anyone felt Barbie would be a huge global hit last year. Plus given WB Discovery's issues ...I'm sure people were whispering how it could do so/so and Mission Impossible would have a good 2-3 week run and its main competition was Oppenheimer. So no one then gave it serious thought.

Its just Barbie and Oppenheimer became these "global must see" films with a number of people going to see both films same day. It became that deal.

What is wild is Oppenheimer could have been a Warner Bros Discovery film too. Nolan ended his deal with WB over the decision to place the 2021 film slate on HBO Max then. So both these films could have been a BOOM for WBD had that not happened.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.