Page 44 of 420 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    On a regular day, Fast 9 should have gone over a billion by now. We will just have to wait longer for the first billion dollar film in a post COVID ERA.
    What do you mean, please explain?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    What do you mean, please explain?
    I believe the fast and the furious 9 would have made over a billion by now or be nearing that in the international market in a 3 week span but I don't think F9 may even cross 500m-700m because COVID is still a serious problem in some countries.

I do think there would be a pause and a big special celebration in the film industry when we get the first film to make over a billion dollars after COVID is no longer an issue.

it's strange because coming into the 2000-2010, a film making a billion was a big deal then it became meaningless in the mid to late 2010s, now Hollywood is begging for it again in 2021 because COVID really hurt the industry.

F9 is only playing in seven markets right now, there's no way it would have come close to one billion with only seven markets (US not among them) even in pre-pandemic times...

That said I believe F9 will miss the billion mark at the end of its run significantly, but that's only partly due to covid. That franchise is past its peak and in decline.
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 06-09-2021 at 04:01 PM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I believe the fast and the furious 9 would have made over a billion by now or be nearing that in the international market in a 3 week span but I don't think F9 may even cross 500m-700m because COVID is still a serious problem in some countries.

I do think there would be a pause and a big special celebration in the film industry when we get the first film to make over a billion dollars after COVID is no longer an issue.

it's strange because coming into the 2000-2010, a film making a billion was a big deal then it became meaningless in the mid to late 2010s, now Hollywood is begging for it again in 2021 because COVID really hurt the industry.
    Thanks for your explanation.
    I know on this thread and another thread there is celebration because a couple of films is doing good at the box office, but if they take a look at the overall box office they’ll realize the overall box office is not doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    F9 is only playing in seven markets right now, there's no way it would have come close to one billion with only seven markets (US not among them) even in pre-pandemic times...

That said I believe F9 will miss the billion mark at the end of its run significantly, but that's only partly due to covid. That franchise is past its peak and in decline.
    Even still it should be at least $500 million by now.

Astonishing Member

I know on this thread and another thread there is celebration because a couple of films is doing good at the box office
    You mean the two threads whose sole purpose is talking about box office? And get real, Godzilla vs Kong surpassed the global box office of its immediate predecessor (which wasn't released in the middle of a pandemic), AQPII matched pre-pandemic tracking (showing a year of closed theaters don't change a lot of people minds all that much) and is well on the way to profitability with a several times higher budget than its pre-pandemic predecessor (in addition to greenlighting a spin-off), Demon Slayer made more in North America than a pre-pandemic Dragon Ball movie while being a global smash hit already, and just off people heads a couple under the radar smaller movies proved its possible for studios to release non-blockbuster movies and see them triple their budgets without streaming transactions.

All of that is 1) more than a couple movies and 2) not some kind of gut feeling garbage but stuff people can see, or fact check, for themselves before posting.

Meh I don't care enough to see how much those territories gave to the previous Fast movie, but the Chinese at least hated F9 compared to the previous one and that has nothing to do with the pandemic. A movie being received worse than others will always be a thing regardless of platform.

As usual you are just making something up without backing it up with anything. Not even the previous installments of the franchise made 500 million in three weeks in the seven markets F9 is playing right now so your claim is just nonsense.

The only one of the seven markets that shows a significant decline to previous movies of the franchise is China but that has nothing to do with cinemas having general trouble as you make it out to be. Cinema in China is as huge as ever, this year the Chinese movie Hi, Mom made 821 million USD in China alone, that is one of the biggest box office results a movie has ever had in one single market. So it's obvious that the Chinese box office is in a very good shape and if F9 isn't meeting the expectations there then that's on the movie and not on cinemas having trouble.

As I said that franchise is in decline, the quality of this new installment seems to be rather low as it is getting a pretty bad reception (although I find it hard to imagine how it could possibly be worse than the previous installments but that's just me) and on top of that John Cena made a comment about Taiwan that could have led some Chinese to boycott the movie, so there are plenty reasons why F9 is "only" doing good and not great in China (still made more than 200 million at this point which is more than most Hollywood movies gross over there) other than the doomsday scenarios for theaters you hope for.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Haven’t made anything up, just go back to the previous F&F movies

Haven’t made anything up, just go back to the previous F&F movies
    I just told you that the previous movies of the franchise didn't make 500 million in three weeks in these seven markets either so your claim has no basis at all.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-09-2021 at 05:34 PM. Reason: watch it

Astonishing Member

As I said that franchise is in decline, the quality of this new installment seems to be rather low as it is getting a pretty bad reception (although I find it hard to imagine how it could possibly be worse than the previous installments but that's just me) and on top of that John Cena made a comment about Taiwan that could have led some Chinese to boycott the movie, so there are plenty reasons why F9 is "only" doing good and not great in China (still made more than 200 million at this point which is more than most Hollywood movies gross over there) other than the doomsday scenarios for theaters you hope for.
    It makes even less sense to talk about the last Fast installment regarding pandemic effects in the theaters industry when you look at Godzilla vs Kong, also released in China this year. That franchise is doing the opposite there, upswinging from previous films.

BANNED

I just told you that the previous movies of the franchise didn't make 500 million in three weeks in these seven markets either so your claim has no basis at all.
    Go back and check the actual numbers

Variety confirms peter rabbit 2 has aready made back the cost it was to make it at $45m and it's not even in america yet!

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...nd-1234991481/

Astonishing Member

Where are you directing posters to go back to? Because I don't see you're linking to any of your own posts, or any hard data that you'd have reasonably posted earlier today when you decided to randomly weigh in on how a theaters only Fast movie seeming to perform poorly in just a few international markets made you feel fair to jump on looking down on other posters in other threads observing (with actual data) how individual releases are faring well in theaters when at home streaming is available for the total numbers.
    Last edited by Wildling; 06-09-2021 at 07:54 PM.

BANNED

I know on this thread and another thread there is celebration because a couple of films is doing good at the box office, but if they take a look at the overall box office they’ll realize the overall box office is not doing good.

Actually the box office is going better than expected. 3 films have done over 400m at the world wide box office.
    Also it seems like the china market is going strong. which is strange because I would think COVID was still a problem there.

Both demon slayer and doraomon have made over $500m also and detective conan is almost $90m and peter rabbit 2 just made it's budget back before coming to america also.

As for fast 9 in china the film is getting not good reviews plus the whole john cena china thing and a big one is doraomon who is like mickey mouse in many counties and films do really well. It's got alot fighting it but still came in first in china again but is switching back and forth with doraomon.

Don't mess with doraomon or detective conan films overseas. Conan crushed endgame and iw like a bug in japan! Marvel learned the hard way!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 06-10-2021 at 05:59 AM.

BANNED

Yes. the factual numbers don't lie

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...ross-1-billion

Fast and the Furious 7 was the fastest film to get over a billion at that time in 2015. it did it in 17 days which is even less than 3 full weeks than I had thought.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-10-2021 at 07:50 AM.