Page 358 of 420 FirstFirst ... 258308348354355356357358359360361362368408 ... LastLast
Results 5,356 to 5,370 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

Curious how the audience thought of A Wrinkle in Time and it got a B from CinemaScore, which is actually considered 'Shaky'. I liked it.

Brie Larson's statement was wrong because it shows that she has no proper understanding of what critics are meant to do. Critics aren't supposed to give dumb movies a pass just because kids may enjoy them. If the screenplay, dialogue, directing, acting and other criteria are subpar then this should be pointed out by critics regardless whether the target audience cares about it.

The target audience can choose to ignore the critics as they obviously did in case of the awful Super Mario Bros. Movie, so I don't see what Larson's problem is. It's just that in the case of AWIT audiences also weren't exactly blown away by its quality as the bad CinemaScore shows, so there's no point in blaming critics for its failure.
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 08-16-2023 at 01:42 AM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    That's all Brie meant you can't please everyone, so you try to at least please your core audience and everyone else if they like it great if not it Wasn't Made for Them.
    Problem is just when the core audience is to small for he budget they attach to the movie.

Extraordinary Member

Boy did Disney mismanage Rachel Zegler. She just couldn't stop digging herself and her movie into a ditch ever time she said anything about it. I mean doing a live action remake of a much older animated classic, itself based on a Brothers Grim folktale about a German princess with skin "as white as snow" is okay I guess, if a bit lazy.

But then going out on the red carpet and doing other interview in which you utterly trash the movie your own is based on, (and of course the folktale it was based on), saying you hated pretty much everything about it, isn't the way I would have gone. She seems an utterly unpleasant person, unlike her co-star, Gadot.

Oh well, it will be a very short movie, ending when Gadot asks the mirror her question. It will just reply with the obvious answer, "Well, you are, Diana!", and then Gadot will be satisfied, ignore Show whatever and her random Willow casting rejects. It does sort of beg the question of why then Zegler took the part if she hated the original so very much. Or even the concept of the original.

Doesn't send a good sign, even ignoring her specific comments which give a fair idea of what to expect from the movie. It also begs the question of why Disney did it, considering they obviously share her view of the original. I wonder if there is anything unusual about the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, (the remake is just called Snow White now IIRC)?

Hmmm....let's see here. Okay, Walt's first animated feature, that's nice, but Disney seems the opposite of nostalgic. Hmmm....okay, HERE'S something. The original remains Disney's highest grossing animated movie ever, adjusted for inflation. IIRC, it was close to a couple billion in today's money. Well, somehow I don't think this one is going to even come close.

Stars used to be well managed by studios on their pressers. They didn't say a thing that wasn't personally approved by the studio for the most part, and it largely worked. Now we have them sandbagging their own movies before they're released.
    Last edited by achilles; 08-16-2023 at 09:42 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Problem is just when the core audience is to small for he budget they attach to the movie.
    I haven't seen a Wrinkle in Time and I probably never will.

She wasn't really commenting on its success just that some critics simply don't connect with certain material at times. A different set of eyes on those movies might appreciate them differently. She was talking about critics and she's right in many ways.

However, why that sort of movie had that massive budget was...interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I haven't seen a Wrinkle in Time and I probably never will.

She wasn't really commenting on its success just that some critics simply don't connect with certain material at times. A different set of eyes on those movies might appreciate them differently. She was talking about critics and she's right in many ways.

However, why that sort of movie had that massive budget was...interesting to say the least.
    Here's the thing even with budgets if Zack Snyder got in front of a crowd of his fans and said "I made my DC films for you the fans not the critics" the room would go nuts with applause. Larson basically says the same thing by pointing out if a middle-aged white guy doesn't like something well sometimes it's not for you and she gets flack.

Ultimate Member

Here's the thing even with budgets if Zack Snyder got in front of a crowd of his fans and said "I made my DC films for you the fans not the critics" the room would go nuts with applause. Larson basically says the same thing by pointing out if a middle-aged white guy doesn't like something well sometimes it's not for you and she gets flack.
    Exactly this.

Lots of directors (particularly in the superhero space) say their movies are for the fans and no one really bats an eyelid.

Maybe it's the way Larson said it but her words were inherently not unusual.

Ultimate Member

https://us.yahoo.com/entertainment/k...105345551.html

South Korean police said on Wednesday that they had found evidence that the box office performance of 323 films over the past five years had been inflated. Seoul Metropolitan Police said that, as a result, they had referred 69 people from major exhibition chains and 24 film distribution companies to prosecutors. The prosecutors will determine whether or not to proceed with criminal cases.
    In collusion with film distributors, the accused theater officials allegedly entered inflated ticket sales information onto the Korean Film Council’s box office compiling service [Kobis] from March 2018 to June this year to boost the box office rankings of the movies released at their theaters,” police said, according to the semi-official news agency Yonhap. “The accused falsely reported tickets at certain show times were sold out and, as a result of the alleged rigging, a total of 2.67 million viewers were overcounted.”
    No US box office but wow....

Exactly this.

Lots of directors (particularly in the superhero space) say their movies are for the fans and no one really bats an eyelid.

It's not at all about the way she said it lol it's about who she specified (race/gender) and that she's a woman saying it.

Extraordinary Member

Exactly this.

It was the way she said it. But also the fact that she said it at all. It IS a business at the end of the day after all, and it is on the stars to promote the movies they're in properly, and that means avoiding controversy. Disney which used to draw audiences from across demographic lines now seems to almost want to limit it's own audiences. A bit puzzling to me.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

It boggles my mind why people aren't grasping why Larson got flack for that

You shouldn't directly alienate fans...especially a major part of the demographic. 44 year old male (mixed). I consider growing up in the 80s as the jackpot for having a childhood. Our generation grew up with Super Heroes, Horror Icons, Music Legends, etc. Of course we want to experience those nostalgic memories again. Her saying that shows she has zero idea what the hell she's talking about. When you insult them, guess what'll happen? A huge chunk of them won't like you back.

Somebody like Larson is not someone I picture as the target audience for comic book/sci fi/horror fans. And even if she was one (which I highly doubt) she can push and push her little message, but the demographic she's trying to reach is still the minority. I notice the ones making the loudest noises are the small groups. They just have one hell of a megaphone.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 08-16-2023 at 10:24 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It was the way she said it. But also the fact that she said it at all. It IS a business at the end of the day after all, and it is on the stars to promote the movies they're in properly, and that means avoiding controversy. Disney which used to draw audiences from across demographic lines now seems to almost want to limit it's own audiences. A bit puzzling to me.
    OK, I'll go and see the speech and see how she said it, but the words weren't inherently controversial because she was referring to critics not audiences.

That's probably why it didn't affect Captain Marvel's success at all. If she'd said that most "white fans" don't get it, then I'd understand the controversy. I'm not a professional film critic and most of us here aren't, so her comments don't really apply to us.

Actors, writers and directors talking about critics not getting certain movies has always been a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    It boggles my mind why people aren't grasping why Larson got flack for that

You shouldn't directly alienate fans...especially a major part of the demographic. 44 year old male (mixed). I consider growing up in the 80s as the jackpot for having a childhood. Our generation grew up with Super Heroes, Horror Icons, Music Legends, etc. Of course we want to experience those nostalgic memories again. Her saying that shows she has zero idea what the hell she's talking about. When you insult them, guess what'll happen? A huge chunk of them won't like you back.

Somebody like Larson is not someone I picture as the target audience for comic book/sci fi/horror fans. And even if she was one (which I highly doubt) she can push and push her little message, but the demographic she's trying to reach is still the minority. I notice the ones making the loudest noises are the small groups. They just have one hell of a megaphone.
    79 is in my callsign because it's the year I was born 44 also and a proud 80's kids IMO that and the early 90's were best decade ever to be a kid sorry everyone else but really was. We had GI Joe, Transformers, Go-Bots, Mighty Orbots, Voltron, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, She-Ra, New Adventures of He-Man, Jemm, Babar, Thundarr, James Bond Jr., Real Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Tigersharks, Camp Candy, Heathcliff and the Cadillac Cats, Inspector Gadget, Centurions, Rainbow Bright, Pound Puppies, Turbo Teen, Dino Riders, Dinosaucers, Denver the Last Dinosaur, Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, COPS, Pup Named Scoopy Doo, Laff A Lympics, Scooby Doo and the 13 Ghost, Tom and Jerry Kids, Mr. T, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Count Duckula, Captain N and the Game Masters, Mask, Teen Wolf, Bill and Ted, Superfriends, Rambo, Robocop, Hulk 82, Spider-Woman, Spider-Man 81 and Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Smurfs, Snorks, Back to the Future, Gummy Bears, Kidd Video, Raccoons, Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Tailspin, Goof Troop, Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, Flintstone Kids, Jetsons, Bionic Six, Dennis the Menace, Police Academy, Life With Louie, Bobby's World, Beetlejuice, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Tick, X-Men, Spider-Man, FF, Ironman, Incredible Hulk, Swamp Thing, Toxic Avenger, Killer Tomatoes, the Beginning of the DCAU, Freakazoid, Fievel's American Tail, Little Mermaid, Pinky and the Brain, Defenders of the Earth, & TMNT. It was GOD DAMN GLORIOUS.

Speaking of the TMNT I haven't seen the new movie will check it out once free on some streaming platform. If I like it great if not oh well, I just kids today like it because they're the target audience kids not 40 somethings.

I read most DC and Marvel books growing up but not all because they weren't all my cup of tea, and some were books that had long runs and large fanbases. No every DC or Marvel film/tv show will be to my liking simply because it's not my cup of tea and thus while a Marvel/DC fan I'm also not the target audience of said product.

The LOTR films and Harry Potter Series are good movies but if I gave a review, it'd be Lukewarm at best because I don't like fantasy and they're a choir to sit thru for me and thus my opinion is biased, but then again, I'm not a fan it wasn't made for me so maybe you wouldn't want my opinion and I wouldn't be offended by that.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 08-16-2023 at 11:26 AM.

Ultimate Member

Blue Beetle is getting very good reviews.

That's good news and should help with its box office prospects.

Blue Beetle is getting very good reviews.

That's good news and should help with its box office prospects.
    I really hope it helps the box office.

This is a good test for the superhero fatigue vs bad movie fatigue argument. Here is a superhero flick getting very good reviews, so let’s see if people show up.