Thread: The Box Office

Extraordinary Member

Box Office: ‘Eternals’ Reigns Supreme With $71 Million Debut
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/m...ts-1235106813/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Box Office: ‘Eternals’ Reigns Supreme With $71 Million Debut
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/m...ts-1235106813/
    It seems that Eternals is doing better internationally. It was previously projected to make about $80m+ but looks like it will make $90m+ this weekend.

Extraordinary Member

I hope in the future some folks here could post sources on how much each movie that come out needs to break even,make a profit etc..
    Example-

How Much Eternals Cost To Make (& How Much Box Office To Be A Success)
    With Marvel's Eternals arriving in theaters, we take a look at how much the film cost to make and what it needs to earn for box office success. quote- Eternals' reported production budget is around $200 million. That figure makes it one of the pricier non-Avengers movies in the MCU recently. Shang-Chi cost $150 million to make, while Spider-Man: Far From Home cost $160 million. Captain Marvel's budget was between $150-175 million. In the last few years, Black Widow and Black Panther were MCU solo movies that cost $200 million to make.
    The general rule of thumb is a film's breakeven point is its production budget doubled. This means Eternals would have to gross around $400 million globally in order to recoup its costs. Right now, it has a good chance of hitting that mark.
    A handful of Hollywood blockbusters have passed that threshold worldwide, including Shang-Chi ($423.6 million) and No Time to Die ($606.7 million). Black Widow earned $379.6 million, but its gross was affected by the hybrid Disney+ release where viewers paid to watch it via Premier Access. Given the popularity of the MCU and the gap between studio tentpoles since No Time to Die opened, there should be demand for Eternals. However, there are some factors working against it.

https://screenrant.com/eternals-movi...ess-breakeven/

The reason i bring this up because i seen some youtube channels(and you know who they are)making stuff up, like eternals need 500 million to break even etc.and that's not true of course.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-07-2021 at 06:35 PM.

Astonishing Member

The reason i bring this up because i seen some youtube channels(and you know who they are)making stuff up, like eternals need 500 million to break even etc.and that's not true of course.
    Apparently this movie's budget is 200 million. Makes sense to me but, what's your estimate on this breaking even assuming it doesn't play in China like is expected?

Astonishing Member

I hope in the future some folks here could post sources on how much each movie that come out needs to break even,make a profit etc..
    Example-

I hate internet things that try to judge if Movie x is profitable. Whatever movie it is you have a budget and then you have a box office. At one time you had dvd sales whatever. Now you have things moving right to Disney plus or HBO max ect. But even before that you had these movies moving to TNT or AMC or ABC whatever. No one keeps track of licensing long term. Its really not relevant. If movies make money they make money. Some movies make no money at release. I was just thinking of Disney's Hocus Pocus as an example. Made no money box office. But long term? Its made that company a ton of money.

Example-

In these Covid times I think the metrics are different it’s gonna be a combination of box office and eyeballs on D+. Judging something solely off box office doesn’t really work atm.

Example-

Screenrant isn't a reliable source. And that rule of thumb is nonsense as the production budget of a movie doesn't include the marketing cost. Eternals cost rather 300 million overall (likely more as I've never seen a studio release three spots a day for two weeks prior to release), so how can roughly 200 million revenue (that's what the studio keeps after the theaters' share) mean that it breaks even?

If Eternals ends its theatrical run with 400 million it hasn't recouped its cost. Maybe it will reach the break even point with added revenue from home video release and TV licensing but to claim that a movie recoups its cost by doubling its production budget is wrong.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Ultimate Member

Movie studios are notoriously secret about how much a movie makes as actual profit.

They tend to be very dubious and in some cases flat out dishonest about their movie accounting. There have been several cases of studios actually downplaying a movie’s success because of royalty payments and the likes. A very prominent case was the defunct 20th Century Fox maintaining that blockbusters like Aliens didn’t make them profit most likely because they didn’t want to make back end payments to some people involved in the movie. I believe Sigourney Weaver actually sued the company back in the day (I really can’t remember).

Deadline in recent times has tried to compute how much movies make as profit but they generally acknowledge it as rough accounting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Movie studios are notoriously secret about how much a movie makes as actual profit.

They tend to be very dubious and in some cases flat out dishonest about their movie accounting. There have been several cases of studios actually downplaying a movie’s success because of royalty payments and the likes. A very prominent case was the defunct 20th Century Fox maintaining that blockbusters like Aliens didn’t make them profit most likely because they didn’t want to make back end payments to some people involved in the movie. I believe Sigourney Weaver actually sued the company back in the day (I really can’t remember).

Deadline in recent times has tried to compute how much movies make as profit but they generally acknowledge it as rough accounting.

Yea to me its just a goofy debate that goes around in circles. I mean if a movie has a 150 million dollar budget and makes 10 million at the box office we can be pretty sure its a bomb. But when everyone starts speculating about oh its got a 200 million dollar budget and plus marketing costs and this cost and that cost well it needs to make at least 700 million and 400 million has to be US dollars because those theaters give a bigger cut but euros don't mean as much it goes into this insanity. The studios know if a movie made money. Plus long term lord knows. I mean how many people signed up for Disney plus just to watch Marvel movies? Or Star Wars? Or Disney animated movies? I mean no one calculates that. But Disney sure does.

Hollywood has a long history of big movies not making money. That is why actors with clout become Producers and get Gross profits, not Net Profits, because Studios figured out ways for movies to never turn a profit.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Screenrant isn't a reliable source. And that rule of thumb is nonsense as the production budget of a movie doesn't include the marketing cost. Eternals cost rather 300 million overall (likely more as I've never seen a studio release three spots a day for two weeks prior to release), so how can roughly 200 million revenue (that's what the studio keeps after the theaters' share) mean that it breaks even?

If Eternals ends its theatrical run with 400 million it hasn't recouped its cost. Maybe it will reach the break even point with added revenue from home video release and TV licensing but to claim that a movie recoups its cost by doubling its production budget is wrong.
    Depends on what tv shows you are running those ads on.

If you are doing Fox's Sunday night and not say CW's Sunday (or any day for them)-you are paying more.

I mean I did not see any ads for this movie during Dallas Mavericks nor Dallas Stars games-I am sure that was not the case with say the New York Knicks.

And I think the bottom line of what folks want is for the movie to make money and shut up the echo chambers that can't standing see POC and LGBTQA as leads.

The same folks who will scream look at Steel and Catwoman as reasons to NOT do Black Panther 2 or Static, Yet are SILENT at John Carter, Lone Ranger and others that forever rotate on HBO and other services and have been big time bombs.

I mean Tubi Tv is sure showing a lot of FLOPS for free.

$20m for clifford.

Venom 2 hits $200m in america.

Extraordinary Member

‘Eternals’ Powers $27M+ Second Weekend; ‘Clifford’ Louder With $22M 5-Day: Is Theatrical Hybrid Model Really The Answer For Family Movies? – Update
    Sunday AM Writethru: After Saturday AM update…Despite the worst reviews ever for a Marvel movie, and a B CinemaScore, the second weekend of Disney/Marvel’s Eternals didn’t implode, hitting $27.5M for the weekend, very close to where we saw it yesterday morning. That’s a -61% decline from its opening weekend, which is at the higher end of projections. The pic made $7.8M Friday, -75%. Through ten days, the Chloe Zhao-directed movie will stand at an estimated $118.8M. Worldwide is $284.1M.

Paramount/eOne’s Clifford the Big Red Dog, is much higher than studio ($15M-$17M) and industry projections, despite its availability on Paramount+ with $22M in five days and $16.3M. The movie is on an exclusive theatrical window in Canada, which repped 6% of the weekend’s ticket sales and unlike Paramount’s release of Paw Patrol, has No. 2 circuit Regal as part of its 3,700 theater count.
    https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternal...ce-1234873514/

You still have certain youtube channels calling eternals a flop and fell at 75% over the weekend when you look at thier titles.
    They want to desperately for the eternals to fail,and in fact the mcu to fail.
    They were attacking stars wars and now alot videos are attacking the mcu and disney etc..
    Last edited by mace11; 11-14-2021 at 08:43 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

‘Eternals’ Powers $27M+ Second Weekend; ‘Clifford’ Louder With $22M 5-Day: Is Theatrical Hybrid Model Really The Answer For Family Movies? – Update

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternal...3514/#comments

You still have certain youtube channels calling eternals a flop and fell at 75% over the weekend when you look at thier titles.
    They want to desperately for the eternals to fail,and in fact the mcu to fail.
    They were attacking stars wars and now alot videos are attacking the mcu and disney etc..

To be fair here a lot is due to the terrible critical reviews that Eternals has gotten. Given its reception and that its starting to wind down (Ghostbusters and Resident Evil will take more attention in 2 weeks) its gonna be the worst performing Marvel film. It will likely only do around $160-175 million domestically.

Marvel films is a license to print money and took some gambles that made franchises like Guardians of Galaxy , Black Widow , Ant Man and Shang-Chi. This one was a rare blip on radar and didn't hit well. Its one of those rare misses the studio made.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.