Page 207 of 420 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217257307 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,105 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Wakanda passed MOM yesterday on the US/Canada dailies ($303.7 vs. $302.7 after 12 days).

Ultimate Member

It looks like everything except BP2 is bombing this thanksgiving.

Strange World is really flopping hard. It really looks like Disney just dropped that movie with minimal marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Strange World is really flopping hard. It really looks like Disney just dropped that movie with minimal marketing.
    Something about that film just didn't work for me.

Like the voicework, the animation, the humor...it just didn't feel ambitious or interesting enough despite the premise.

Ultimate Member

And Disney needs to be called out on that.

I saw the movie yesterday at 10 am and I was the only one in the theater.

It's showing right now in that same theater. There are 14 folks watching out of 207 seats.

I looked up future showings at another theater. 44 seats were preordered out of 66 seats. 44 seats in total for 3 showings.

6 showings for Today through 28th and 29th-December 1.

Now Disney will use this as an EXCUSE to not do black male let alone LGBTQA+ led films. Yet look how little they have done for this film.

They need to be ROYALLY roasted for this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I saw the movie yesterday at 10 am and I was the only one in the theater.

It's showing right now in that same theater. There are 14 folks watching out of 207 seats.

I looked up future showings at another theater. 44 seats were preordered out of 66 seats. 44 seats in total for 3 showings.

6 showings for Today through 28th and 29th-December 1.

Now Disney will use this as an EXCUSE to not do black male let alone LGBTQA+ led films. Yet look how little they have done for this film.

Roasted like Thanksgiving turkey.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well a big factor that why were not seeing a big media push for Strange World is...Disney pulled it from 20+ regions and a number objected to a gay character involved. So Disney knew this film was a remote long shot to make any money and had 2 options.

- Put the big media push behind Black Panther 2 .

- Put it behind an animated film that won't be in 20+ regions to draw.

They went with Black Panther 2.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Something about that film just didn't work for me.

Like the voicework, the animation, the humor...it just didn't feel ambitious or interesting enough despite the premise.
    Honestly, the trailers didn’t rope me in at all.

Also, the reviews of the movie are good but not great.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well a big factor that why were not seeing a big media push for Strange World is...Disney pulled it from 20+ regions and a number objected to a gay character involved. So Disney knew this film was a remote long shot to make any money and had 2 options.

- Put the big media push behind Black Panther 2 .

- Put it behind an animated film that won't be in 20+ regions to draw.

They went with Black Panther 2.
    That’s probably it.

It’s like Disney knew the film was going to bomb and they simply took the hit.

It doesn’t help though that the movie is hitting Disney+ very soon. Disney’s muddled approach to their animated movie releases has almost completely killed that area of the business. Considering the animated movies is really Disney’s cornerstone (given their overall family friendly image), it’s something they’ll need to sort out very soon.

Honestly, the trailers didn’t rope me in at all.

Also, the reviews of the movie are good but not great.
    I saw one review that criticized them for relying too much on jokes undercutting the stakes and emotional moments (AKA the Love and Thunder problem).

Strange world didn't have great trailers. It made the film feel like a treasure planet "wait for video" type film.

My sister just got back with her daughter. "Was it good?" "It's weird!" My sister fell asleep, and she never does that! She said it's "average". Niece thought it was "OK" and my niece is really easy to please with cartoons!

They were the only ones in their showings! No one else was there! On a disney animated film at thanksgiving! Not good.

It’s a pretty dark picture for the film business, which has been in a slump since mid-summer and is still grappling with the aftershocks of COVID closures. The holiday box office is shaping up to be down about 10% from last Thanksgiving when ticket sales topped out at $142 million. That was a far cry from pre-pandemic Thanksgiving results. In 2019, for instance, the Turkey Day frame generated $263.3 million in sales. The exhibition business did have some reason to celebrate after news broke that Amazon plans to spend $1 billion to make 12 to 15 movies that it will release in theaters. The internet giant has toggled between embracing cinemas and focusing primarily on feeding its streaming service. Its latest shift in strategy is a boon for exhibitors, as the announcement goosed their stocks.

Theater operators could be getting a silent assist from “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery,” the follow-up to Rian Johnson’s hit 2019 whodunit. However, Netflix isn’t reporting grosses for the movie, which is playing in 600 North American cinema.
    https://variety.com/2022/film/news/b...bs-1235441630/

Theatres really needed a knifes out 2 wide release this weekend!

Edit--this film will be the worst animated disney thanksgiving opening in history!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ps-1235269474/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 11-24-2022 at 07:52 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Strange world didn't have great trailers. It made the film feel like a treasure planet "wait for video" type film.

My sister just got back with her daughter. "Was it good?" "It's weird!" My sister fell asleep, and she never does that! She said it's "average". Niece thought it was "OK" and my niece is really easy to please with cartoons!

What trailers? I saw NONE outside of youtube.
    Posters? NONE.
    I saw one of the books in a comic book store.
    Just sniffing on Ebay-it seems there is more stuff for this movie outside the USA than in it.

I didn't even know about the cups and toppers or El Capitan theater gift set.

The first black male lead (let alone LGBTQA lead) and this is what they do.

They were the only ones in their showings! No one else was there! On a disney animated film at thanksgiving! Not good.
    I was the only one in mine and I went to the FIRST 10 AM showing.

I looked up other showings since you have to choose your seat before paying online at theaters.

I saw 44 purchases for 3 shows. In a theater built for 207.

That is a fireable offense.

And I say that as someone who saw the movie and probably will get the blu-ray (thank you Target's buy 2 get 1 free sales).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The first black male lead (let alone LGBTQA lead) and this is what they do.
    Does Soul by Pixar count?

Very odd for a studio to spend this much money with minimal promotion.

Extraordinary Member

Bob chapek and kareem daniel were responsible for this,but now they are out, so too late.
    Bob iger is in now and he is going to right the ship for disney and animation like he did before.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Bob chapek and kareem daniel were responsible for this,but now they are out, so too late.
    Bob iger is in now and he is going to right the ship for disney and animation like he did before.
    There is no way that chapek is at fault, the pre/production of the movie must have started way before he became the ceo.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    There is no way that chapek is at fault, the pre/production of the movie must have started way before he became the ceo.
    Chapek was ceo for two years.
    So there was plenty of time to promote it better etc..
    I have not been not paying attention to this but Some here say it was not that well promoted.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-25-2022 at 08:37 AM.