Page 236 of 420 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286336 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Forget it Jake, it's China.
    Exactly this.

There's little point in discussing their reasoning considering the country is being run by an absolute brutal dictatorship.

Marvel needs it with Ant Man potentially losing the top spot this weekend.

Mighty Member

I been seeing that some sits has ant man 3 not doing good.I dont get that I thought It was a great movie to start phase 5.i agree phase 4 wasn't great but spider-man no way home and doctor strange 2 were really good movies

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Marvel needs it with Ant Man potentially losing the top spot this weekend.
    There's literally nothing they can do though. Marvel is going to have to rebuild in China and that will likely take some time, in the meantime, they have to deal with the cards they've been dealt.

If Ant-Man 2 drops hard and/or doesn't end up doing very well, or even flat-out flopping then it is what it is. It's really not the end of the world, Marvel has pretty much-done something that was hitherto impossible (they literally made the biggest movie ever and are the first film studios to get the best pic nomination for a superhero film) and there were always going to be hiccups along the way. I mean, Marvel is opening Ant-Man to over $100 million (let that sink, Ant-man is opening to OVER $100 million), which suggests that interest in the brand is still ridiculously high. As I said if it disappoints or flat-out flops (which is unlikely), it's for Marvel to take the feedback, and go back and look at what they could be doing wrong and improve.

The problem with discourse in the US is that everything is viewed through a political lens which turns every discourse around certain blockbuster movies toxic. Since Marvel and Disney had dared to include LGBTIQ characters and increased female representation, the usual contingent have turned against them. Nothing anyone can do about that, it is what it is, what Marvel has to do is simply take the feedback and see how they can improve their movies because the interest in the brand is still quite clearly there despite what the usual crowd wants to suggest.

EDIT: It's quite interesting that everyone seems to be taking interest in the box. In years past, people just watched what they watched without really caring about the box office but since the "culture wars" and "online rivalries" have blown up, it seems everyone and their families are analyzing box office without much context I must say.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-23-2023 at 06:23 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    There's literally nothing they can do though. Marvel is going to have to rebuild in China and that will likely take some time, in the meantime, they have to deal with the cards they've been dealt.

If Ant-Man 2 drops hard and/or doesn't end up doing very well, or even flat-out flopping then it is what it is. It's really not the end of the world, Marvel has pretty much-done something that was hitherto impossible (they literally made the biggest movie ever and are the first film studios to get the best pic nomination for a superhero film) and there always going to be hiccups along the way. I mean, Marvel is opening Ant-Man to over $100 million (let that sink, Ant-man is opening to OVER $100 million), which suggests that interest in the brand is still ridiculously high. As I said if it disappoints or flat-out flops (which is unlikely), it's for Marvel to take the feedback, and go back and look at what they could be doing wrong and improve.

The problem with discourse in the US is that everything is viewed through a political lens which turns every discourse around certain blockbuster movies toxic. Since Marvel and Disney had dared to include LGBTIQ characters and increased female representation, the usual contingent have turned against them. Nothing anyone can do about that, it is what it is, what Marvel has to do is simply take the feedback and see how they can improve their movies because the interest in the brand is still quite clearly there despite what the usual crowd wants to suggest.

EDIT: It's quite interesting that everyone seems to be taking interest in the box. In years past, people just watched what they watched without really caring about the box office but since the "culture wars" and "online rivalries" have blown up, it seems everyone and their families are analyzing box office without much context I must say.
    Its cause they are 31 movies in and no one has ever seen anything like this. And its like the barbarians standing outside the gates of Rome looking in

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Maybe. But honestly its just typical February or really any movies not released in the Summer or Holidays numbers. You will see that in March to with the big movies that come out. Big weekends and big drops during the week. Its why in general ( not always) the biggest movies are released in the Summer or X-mas although its a little odd now they release earlier in the summer from April to July. August is usually a graveyard for some reason. Some pro box office guy could explain why that is.
    I'm just sad for the people involved in Ant-Man 3 if this movie performs badly. I don't like seeing people "failing". CinemaScores don't affect how I enjoy movies. And it's weird. I've actually changed my opinions a few times about movies after watching them again. Sometimes I need time to determine if I actually like shit or not. But I think the writing is on the wall for Quantumania after that CinemaScore came out. I'm not sure if it can outperform Ant-Man 2 at this point.

If Ant-Man 2 drops hard and/or doesn't end up doing very well, or even flat-out flopping then it is what it is. It's really not the end of the world, Marvel has pretty much-done something that was hitherto impossible (they literally made the biggest movie ever and are the first film studios to get the best pic nomination for a superhero film) and there were always going to be hiccups along the way. I mean, Marvel is opening Ant-Man to over $100 million (let that sink, Ant-man is opening to OVER $100 million), which suggests that interest in the brand is still ridiculously high. As I said if it disappoints or flat-out flops (which is unlikely), it's for Marvel to take the feedback, and go back and look at what they could be doing wrong and improve.

I think the culture wars influencing entertainment is a more recent phenomenon for sure. We watch movies and shows to avoid shit like that. Many more recent reviews of these films veer into anti-vaccine sentiments and objections to teaching very young children about sexuality in schools. So there's no escapism from that stuff now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I think the culture wars influencing entertainment is a more recent phenomenon for sure. We watch movies and shows to avoid shit like that. Many more recent reviews of these films veer into anti-vaccine sentiments and objections to teaching very young children about sexuality in schools. So there's no escapism from that stuff now.
    Yeah, it makes discussing certain stuff rather difficult.

Stuff like the new Star Wars trilogy (which I didn't even like) and the recent Rings of Power were almost impossible to discuss because of all the culture wars stuff. I mean, I have to shield my children from stuff that's ostensibly made for them because of the toxicity online.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but it's hard to listen to people that simply appraise stuff through a political lens.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I'm just sad for the people involved in Ant-Man 3 if this movie performs badly. I don't like seeing people "failing". CinemaScores don't affect how I enjoy movies. And it's weird. I've actually changed my opinions a few times about movies after watching them again. Sometimes I need time to determine if I actually like shit or not. But I think the writing is on the wall for Quantumania after that CinemaScore came out. I'm not sure if it can outperform Ant-Man 2 at this point.
    Why are you sad? As far as we know everyone got paid. This is the third Ant-Man movie. I’m still surprised Ant-Man got a movie at all much less three. Not outperforming the second movie is not the end of the world. Disney is gonna be ok. There is no reason to be sad.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Why are you sad? As far as we know everyone got paid. This is the third Ant-Man movie. I’m still surprised Ant-Man got a movie at all much less three. Not outperforming the second movie is not the end of the world. Disney is gonna be ok. There is no reason to be sad.
    Exactly this.

It really isn't the end of the world if the movie flops. Marvel/Disney will be fine, it is what it is.

Marvel built their record off the back of well-received films, if some of its movies underperform, they need to assess what's wrong and retool.

Yeah, it makes discussing certain stuff rather difficult.

Stuff like the new Star Wars trilogy (which I didn't even like) and the recent Rings of Power were almost impossible to discuss because of all the culture wars stuff. I mean, I have to shield my children from stuff that's ostensibly made for them because of the toxicity online.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but it's hard to listen to people that simply appraise stuff through a political lens.
    Oh, I totally believe in the freedom of speech, but man I wish folks would focus their criticisms about the movies/shows themselves without getting into "identity politics". Folks can't even have a rational discussion about entertainment these days without getting into shit that is controversial and polarizing. It's very annoying.

Astonishing Member

Holy god people relax lol. Its like some funeral here Quit getting caught up in all this negative stuff. It will be ok. Its a movie. Its doing ok. The last movie made 850 million dollars the one before that 750 million the one before that 950 million the one before that 1.9 billion. . LOL. What in Sam Hill is happening to people.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    I guess I'm a bit of a softie. I'm sure folks got paid, but as I said before, I don't like seeing people disappointed. I remember during lockdown Michael Douglas being so excited about doing a third Ant-Man movie, but I read in interviews he just wants to be killed off now. Loved him in the other Ant-Man and Avengers movies (he seemed to be enjoying himself then). I also feel bad for Kathryn Newton. Some of the reviews of Quantumania were pretty harsh on her. She's a young girl, and she seemed so excited to become a superhero. I'm happy Jonathan Majors is getting major props though.

I do think Marvel Disney needs to make their movies/shows a bit more friendly to general audiences/average television viewers. I think the nerds/geeks are used to heavily serialized comic book storytelling, but casuals and normies are just being overwhelmed at this point. I don't know how Marvel Studios fixes this.

The Guardians are beloved by both MCU stans and casual audiences so I think the GOTG 3 will do really well at the box office.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 02-23-2023 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Holy god people relax lol. Its like some funeral here Quit getting caught up in all this negative stuff. It will be ok. Its a movie. Its doing ok. The last movie made 850 million dollars the one before that 750 million the one before that 950 million the one before that 1.9 billion. . LOL. What in Sam Hill is happening to people.
    People are so eager to claim the doom and failure of the MCU to claim some sort of superiority bragging rights by getting to say "See, I was right!"

It's like sitting at a red light (especially one notorious for being a "long red light") and saying "OK, green...now!"...and then "...now"...and then..."nnnnnnnow!"

Eventually you'll get it right, but you have to look at all the times you were wrong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    People are so eager to claim the doom and failure of the MCU to claim some sort of superiority bragging rights by getting to say "See, I was right!"

It's like sitting at a red light (especially one notorious for being a "long red light") and saying "OK, green...now!"...and then "...now"...and then..."nnnnnnnow!"

Eventually you'll get it right, but you have to look at all the times you were wrong.
    No one has any context for anything. A few years ago it was Eternals. Then they hit with Spider-man no way home. Now everyone wants to jump on here. The whole thing is ridiculous. You have Guardians coming up and then Into the Spider verse which although not MCU is going to be huge. Then Marvels and we will see how that does. Im sure people will love to try and destroy that one. These are movies not the war in Ukraine.

Things ebb and flow. Want proof. Watch the hype coming up for Mandalorian. 2019 people were declaring Star Wars dead. I think at the same time Mandalorian was hitting and people couldn't stop talking about it. Granted it was not a movie but people loved it. Andor has been a critical hit. A bunch of people saying negative crap about things all the time is sooooooo easy.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 02-23-2023 at 11:14 PM.