Page 85 of 420 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Dune and bond get ok for china release. That should help dune.

https://www.joblo.com/no-time-die-an...e-dates-china/

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Holy mackerel! Malignant isn't a normal horror flick like the marketing might suggest: it's a wacko Sam Raimi-esque '80s style tongue-in-cheek splatterfest! You won't wanna miss this one, folks. Get in at the ground floor of a cult classic instead of watching it five years from now on a friend's recommendation (the usual way you see a cult film).
    The film hit #1 on the streaming charts so it seems like word-of-mouth is doing the film a lot of favors.

I also loved the movie, lol. My kind of horror film.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Shang chi has now passed black widow.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=1cd5f53d62e6

Dear evan hansen has grossed $800,000 thurs.

https://www.thewrap.com/dear-evan-ha...ay-box-office/

Shang chi keeps on going. Still hanging onto only a 40% drop.

Saturday AM Update: As predicted, Disney-Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings refused to slow down, firmly holding No. 1 with a $3.6M Friday, which alone makes the Destin Daniel Cretton-directed feature the highest grossing title during the pandemic ahead of Black Widow with a $186.7M domestic running total. By the end of tomorrow, Shang-Chi should gross $12.8M through thee-days, a great -41% hold, and a running total of $196M. What’s Shang-Chi‘s ultimate domestic endgame? Just under $250M seems quite conceivable.

According to box office analytics corp EntTelligence, Shang-Chi saw 19% of its patrons attending after 9PM on Friday and near 16% showing up before 3PM.
    https://deadline.com/2021/09/dear-ev...hi-1234843679/

Shsng chi $360m ww. Has passed black widow and now thor, captain america first avenger, incredible hulk .

Presuming it doesn’t get clobbered by the quadruple whammy of Venom 2 (October 1), No Time to Die (October 8), Halloween Kills (October 15) and Dune (October 22), it’s looking at a domestic finish of $225-235 million. That’ll put it over the likes of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($203 million in 2014), Thor: The Dark World ($206 million in 2013), X2 ($214 million in 2003), Venom ($214 million in 2018), Ant-Man and the Wasp ($216 million in 2018).

If it ends up closer to $235 million, then it’ll pass the unadjusted likes of Logan ($227 million in 2017), Doctor Strange ($232 million in 2016), X-Men: Days of Future Past ($233 million in 2014) and X-Men: The Last Stand ($234 million in 2006). I’m guessing if it’s close enough that Disney will keep it in theaters long enough to pass Doctor Strange, but I’m also guessing that pre-release heat from Eternals (November 6) will give it a slight boost as we saw with Black Panther (prior to Avengers: Infinity War) and Captain Marvel (prior to Avengers: Endgame). Speaking of, just because those MCU origin stories nabbed $700 million in 2018 and $426 million in 2019 doesn’t mean Shang-Chi would have otherwise pulled similar grosses.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=6b9c383a63da

On the other hand it's not good new for collage students playing high schoolers as Dear Evan Hansen‘s cries next to cats.

Meanwhile, Universal’s Dear Evan Hansen, arguably the most prolific major studio release on the fall schedule since Shang-Chi, is not doing well after a $3.3M Friday, including $800K Thursday previews, for an awful $7.5M in the No. 2 spot at 3,364 theaters; a lowly result which isn’t that far from Universal’s previous big Broadway feature take Cats which died promptly off a $6.6M opening over the Christmas 2019 holiday. Dear Evan Hansen, I hear, is on a 17-day theatrical window, especially with these numbers. Imax repped close to 20% of the musical’s weekend ticket sales.

If there’s anything positive to say about Dear Evan Hansen, it’s that the teen dramatic musical cost significantly less than Cats, a net $27M after Georgia tax credits versus Cats’ $90M net. Dear Evan Hansen‘s demise at the domestic B.O. comes as no surprise after critics promptly ravaged it following its TIFF premiere with a current Rotten Tomatoes score of 33%.

The fans of the Tony-winning Benj Pasek & Justin Paul musical did show up on Friday and Thursday, though not en masse, hence the A- CinemaScore. Initially, I heard off Thursday previews that the Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak was 82% and a 60% definite recommend, it’s now fallen to a 78% positive with a 57% definite recommend. Despite my enjoyment and consistent emotive cry while watching this 2 hour and 20 minute feature, this movie about a teenage boy with a social anxiety disorder who means to do good, but falls greatly short of that following the school bully’s suicide, doesn’t exactly spell escapism at the movie theater at a time when people want to have the time of their lives, away from the gloom of the lingering pandemic. It’s the stacked deck of fanboy IP in October of Venom: Let There Be Carnage, No Time to Die, and Dune that has many excited.
    First in the heights now this. People just don't want musicals right now i guess.

Next week saints of newmark, venom 2, spirited away rerelease and addams family 2 all out on the same day. Let the battle begin!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    First in the heights now this. People just don't want musicals right now i guess.
    Maybe they’re just not worth a trip to the theater. Evan Hansen definitely looks like a TV movie.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Shsng chi $360m ww. Has passed black widow and now thor, captain america first avenger, incredible hulk .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=6b9c383a63da

On the other hand it's not good new for collage students playing high schoolers as Dear Evan Hansen‘s cries next to cats.

Next week saints of newmark, venom 2, spirited away rerelease and addams family 2 all out on the same day. Let the battle begin!
    That's just a tone deaf review on Even Hanson. Comparing Hanson to the bomb that was Cats which came out with out any hindrances to seeing it in one of the highest grossing years to a small film released during a pandemic is just silly, unless you're trying to highlight just how bad Cats was.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Update so far.
    Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
    WORLDWIDE
    $363,359,084
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3490022913/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Maybe they’re just not worth a trip to the theater. Evan Hansen definitely looks like a TV movie.
    It has terrible reviews. He is way too old to be playing a believable High school student. Translation from stage to film yes its fun to have the original actors. But, it simply isn't believable and takes you out of the film. Plus it has heavy subject matter. If I am risking a trip to the theatre right now it sure wouldn't be for this.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    It has terrible reviews. He is way too old to be playing a believable High school student. Translation from stage to film yes its fun to have the original actors. But, it simply isn't believable and takes you out of the film. Plus it has heavy subject matter. If I am risking a trip to the theatre right now it sure wouldn't be for this.
    eh, it has a 92% audience score so it's safe to say that the things that "bothered" the critics weren't troubling for viewers.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    eh, it has a 92% audience score so it's safe to say that the things that "bothered" the critics weren't troubling for viewers.
    It is not safe to say since people didn't go see it. Which is the issue. Why didn't more go see it? For that question you have to look at the subject matter, the casting, marketing as well as the obvious pandemic general cinema audiences matter.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    It is not safe to say since people didn't go see it. Which is the issue. Why didn't more go see it? For that question you have to look at the subject matter, the casting, marketing as well as the obvious pandemic general cinema audiences matter.
    Why didn't more people see it? It's a pandemic and it's not a big action set piece blockbuster so even under the best of circumstances it was never going to be a huge block buster film. This is what I meant above about reviews on attendance being tone deaf and missing the mark above, this was always going to be a low to mid-tier film...and it's weekend gross is pretty much that for a covid audience.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 09-26-2021 at 01:29 PM.

[QUOTE] unless you're trying to highlight just how bad Cats was. [/QUOTE

No just used cats as it's a musical that bombed. Nothing to do with how good or bad the movie is. We had three musicals not do well in a roll.

Ultimate Member

Has anyone here seen it? Or the original version?

Will no time to die make $90m ww?

https://deadline.com/2021/09/no-time...nd-1234845794/