Page 82 of 420 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Dune highest opening film this year in france. Film hits $35,000 on only 33 screens! Dune off to a good start.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/dun...163334.article

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Not her voice, she is just inane.
    Eh, I've only seen two of her videos to date, and her speculations in them weren't wildly out there. Maybe in other videos she's gone off the deep end, just that in the two I've seen her speculations, while not necessarily mine, are plausible. She does seem a bit loud and energetic though, I prefer my youtubers a bit slower paced.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Not her voice, she is just inane.
    Inane and at times offensive.

I used to watch her videos way, way back and I got turned off completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I've only seen two of her videos to date, and her speculations in them weren't wildly out there. Maybe in other videos she's gone off the deep end, just that in the two I've seen her speculations, while not necessarily mine, are plausible. She does seem a bit loud and energetic though, I prefer my youtubers a bit slower paced.
    That's part of it. She throws out speculations as if they are facts, with nothing to back them up but things she pulls out of her a$$.

After 5 minutes I felt like I learned nothing and wanted to quote The Dude. "Well, that's like just your opinion Man."
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Dune highest opening film this year in france. Film hits $35,000 on only 33 screens! Dune off to a good start.

Hopefully a sign of things to come and it can do as well elsewhere.

After The Suicide Squad and Malignant, the studio doesn't deserve to keep getting more "quality bombs".

Dune needs to do well in Europe as that kind of movie is more likely to resonate with European audiences than with US moviegoers and furthermore it's playing exclusively in theaters there, whereas the US run will be hampered by HBO Max. That said, a good result in Europe wasn't enough to make Tenet a success. A quick China release would be crucial.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

If we are talking of Grace Randolph, you have to realise she is an industry shill, along with many others of them in that range. Although sometimes when I agree with her, it is because at that moment I feel she is been more objective and yes, her voice can be loud and irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

Authentic Word of mouth can really help build the film until its USA release, I feel this is what was always going to help Dune do well away from its supposed other competitor Eternals that is already a guarantee hit.

That been said, Dune does looks or is trying to be artistic piece of film making, very much like Mad Max Fury Road and a significant amount of the reviews are pointing to that for now, so WB would be wise to play on that with marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Hopefully a sign of things to come and it can do as well elsewhere.

After The Suicide Squad and Malignant, the studio doesn't deserve to keep getting more "quality bombs".
    From context I think "quality bomb" means a film that is well reviewed but doesn't do well financially?
    Yeah, WB has gotten a few of those lately. Weirdly their less well received/reviewed films have made the most (GvK, MK). Worryingly the path to financial success for them might just be to go dumb and less quality if this pattern holds out.
    Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Dune needs to do well in Europe as that kind of movie is more likely to resonate with European audiences than with US moviegoers
    How so? What "kind" of movie is it, and what differs between Europe and US audiences? Genuine question, I don't really know how international audiences vary. The extent of my knowledge on the subject is just "everyone loves MCU and Disney remakes" judging by how much they make, and that's about it - and that just speaks to how the domestic/global is similar in some ways as opposed to where they differ.

Astonishing Member

From context I think "quality bomb" means a film that is well reviewed but doesn't do well financially?
    Yeah, WB has gotten a few of those lately. Weirdly their less well received/reviewed films have made the most (GvK, MK). Worryingly the path to financial success for them might just be to go dumb and less quality if this pattern holds out.
    Yeah exactly what I meant. Mortal Kombat is actually being considered for a sequel. I wouldn't mind especially if it's better/bigger and all that, but at some point some hard decisions are going to be made if it keeps up.

The risk with Dune is how comparatively cult it is going to be, released this year among superhero universe entries and a new James Bond movie. The trailer sells a gorgeous sci-fi adventure but people know it's not Star Wars and the novel is not Harry Potter. I heard a woman ask out loud "what is that" when the worm appeared in the trailer, and that's the most recognizable thing I knew about the thing beforehand (well that and David Bowie).

Yeah exactly what I meant. Mortal Kombat is actually being considered for a sequel. I wouldn't mind especially if it's better/bigger and all that, but at some point some hard decisions are going to be made if it keeps up.

The risk with Dune is how comparatively cult it is going to be, released this year among superhero universe entries and a new James Bond movie. The trailer sells a gorgeous sci-fi adventure but people know it's not Star Wars and the novel is not Harry Potter. I heard a woman ask out loud "what is that" when the worm appeared in the trailer, and that's the most recognizable thing I knew about the thing beforehand (well that and David Bowie).
    Yeah, I read about them planning a MK sequel yesterday. I'm not particularly interested. I mean, clearly I will watch it, and I hope it's better than the last one, but after that one I kind of know what to expect now in terms of quality, and it's largely meh. I thought parts of it were good, Sub-Zero had some great scenes, honestly everything to the point where he freezes off Jax's arms was a strong movie in my opinion. After that...oof. Not great. Not great at all. At least it's not dead to me like Legendary's MonsterVerse after GvK, never been more upset at a movie.

Yeah, Dune's going to have an uphill battle just because the franchise is niche vs Marvel, DC, Disney, Star Wars, etc. Modern film is dominated by more established/classic/even nostalgic IP.

Warner Bros/Legendary’s Dune is off to an epic start at the box office in France. The Denis Villeneuve-directed adaptation of Frank Herbert’s classic world-building 1965 novel grossed $1.55M in its first day on Wednesday (including Tuesday night previews). This is the market’s fourth best launch day of all time for the month of September.

The Wednesday haul also makes it the best Day One for Villeneuve ever in France. Total admissions were 181,316 — grosses were pumped up by overperforming premium formats. The first 2pm screenings in Paris on Wednesday set a new benchmark for the pandemic.
    This weekend is the beginning of international box office rollout for Dune; a total 24 markets will be in play through tomorrow. Of the majors alongside France, that includes Germany, Russia and Italy which opened today, and Spain which goes tomorrow.

Pre-weekend industry projections pegged Dune launching in the mid-$20M range for the session. We’ll know more as the days roll along.
    https://deadline.com/2021/09/dune-op...ce-1234838181/

Shang chi nearing $150m in america. Candyman catching up to demon slayer with $49.243m. It's universals highest grossing horror movie of this year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=46dae37a24eb

How so? What "kind" of movie is it, and what differs between Europe and US audiences? Genuine question, I don't really know how international audiences vary. The extent of my knowledge on the subject is just "everyone loves MCU and Disney remakes" judging by how much they make, and that's about it - and that just speaks to how the domestic/global is similar in some ways as opposed to where they differ.
    I think European audiences are more open to - for lack of a better word - artsy blockbusters without your usual fast pacing, humor and non-stop action. Villeneuve's prior movie BR 2049 made more money in the UK, France, and Germany than smaller MCU movies whereas its US gross was far lower than even that of The Incredible Hulk and that one's US result is already poor compared to the rest of the MCU.

Regarding that and the day and date HBO Max release I'd be surprised if Dune reached 100 million USD at the US box office. Hope I'm wrong as I really want to see the sequel get made.

What is David Bowie's connection to Dune?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Speaking of Dune's place as a competitor among the sci fi adventures and comic book films. let me just say the competitive spirit shot has been fired by the director. The director of Dune, Denis Villeneuve thinks many Marvel movies are copy and paste. He is not a marvel movie fan and does not take their movies seriously as artistic movies.

https://www.nme.com/news/film/denis-...copies-3047720

‘Dune’ director Denis Villeneuve says “too many” Marvel movies are “cut and paste” copies

Hopefully, Dune is a movie he will get to put his money where his mouth is. So far just from a trailer judgement , Dune does look much much stronger than Eternals as a movie and it looks more fresh than James Bond No time to Die, though perhaps I admit the reason i am partially also saying this is because, Skyfall always felt like the best climatic high point of Daniel Craig's Bond movies.

I hope for Dune that does translate well to money, that is the gorgeous sci-fi adventure trying to be unique and more artistic because when you don't have a Disney machine media backed up franchise like the MCU or a decade long running film series like James Bond, where the actors get rebooted every 10-15 years and can still maintain a good level of box office success, it can be very though to sell a movie as a blockbuster of those kinds of magnitude , especially also if you name is not Steven Spielberg, James Cameron or Christopher Nolan either.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-17-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    I think European audiences are more open to - for lack of a better word - artsy blockbusters without your usual fast pacing, humor and non-stop action. Villeneuve's prior movie BR 2049 made more money in the UK, France, and Germany than smaller MCU movies whereas its US gross was far lower than even that of The Incredible Hulk and that one's US result is already poor compared to the rest of the MCU.

Regarding that and the day and date HBO Max release I'd be surprised if Dune reached 100 million USD at the US box office. Hope I'm wrong as I really want to see the sequel get made.
    Ah, think I understand that. Still action blockbusters, but slower burn action blockbusters. I...miss those kinds of movies. The MCU is nice, but lord I need something less fast and quippy to contrast that while staying in the action genre.

BANNED

I do miss slow burn blockbusters. This is what James Cameron is so great at just from a good artistic level and I just cannot help but post this scene from titanic as the perfect definition.

We don't see this kind of blockbusters anymore. they are slow burn but it is worth the wait.

It is darm shame because Cameron only makes a movie once every like 10-20 years now and Spielberg seems over blockbusters, but the Titanic kind of Blockbusters need to come back.