Page 16 of 420 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Why would people return to theaters when instant VOD is now a thing? Universal already announced it, others will follow suit. Theaters only advantage up to now was their exclusivity window.
    The advantage of theaters is one that VOD will never be able to touch. The sense of participating in an event.

There is still waaaay too much crappy stuff making its debut on video for high quality, big budget movies to risk being associated with that mix. And people will continue to want to stand in line, buy $9 popcorn, and cheer and cry with a crowd any time The Next Big Movie is released. People want to share the experience, and that's not likely to change any time soon.

Granted, I think the theaters are trying to rush people back a bit too early, and many chains will go under, be bought and repurposed. But when the crisis is over, they'll be back, perhaps stronger than ever as people seek to regain what they lost for so long.

I don't know that I support chains that boycott Universal for releasing straight to VOD, but if Universal continues to do that after it's safe, it would be a bigger problem for Universal than theaters.

It will be interesting to see the showdown if the situation is still occurring on the release date of No Time To Die. I suspect by then Universal will have already given in and we won't see that film on VOD until mid-2021

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    The advantage of theaters is one that VOD will never be able to touch. The sense of participating in an event.
    You can solve that if your invite a bunch of people over.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Not many home entertainment spaces can support more than 10 people.

Retired

Copyright restrictions limit how many people may be shown a movie. I vaguely recall a recent case where a charity was charged a bundle for showing a movie at a gathering of parents and children--they played the movie just so the kids had something to do while the adults were busy with the charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Copyright restrictions limit how many people may be shown a movie. I vaguely recall a recent case where a charity was charged a bundle for showing a movie at a gathering of parents and children--they played the movie just so the kids had something to do while the adults were busy with the charity.
    I remember this. if it is the same case I am thinking of a school showed a group the Lion King cartoon. Disney went after them for Copyright and wanted the school to pay the 250 dollar fee that they change for showing a movie at an event like that. Disney relented and backed off (I think because of bad press) and the school said they would not do this again.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I remember this. if it is the same case I am thinking of a school showed a group the Lion King cartoon. Disney went after them for Copyright and wanted the school to pay the 250 dollar fee that they change for showing a movie at an event like that. Disney relented and backed off (I think because of bad press) and the school said they would not do this again.
    That's it. I had forgot those details, so thanks for reminding me.

It wasn't even disney. The company that did that also works with many other movie studios.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/media...ool/index.html

Emerson Elementary School in Berkeley was fined $250 by licensing firm Movie Licensing USA for "illegally screening" the film at a "parent's night out" fundraiser last year.

Movie Licensing USA, which manages licensing for Disney and other major studios, informed Emerson's faculty via email that the company had "received an alert" that "The Lion King" was screened during an event on November 15. The school received the email more than two months after the event.

Disney CEO Bob Iger has apologized to a California elementary school after it was charged $250 for showing the studio's 2019 remake of "The Lion King" during a fundraiser event.

"Our company @WaltDisneyCo apologizes to the Emerson Elementary School PTA," Bob Iger, Disney's CEO, tweeted on Thursday. "I will personally donate to their fund raising initiative."

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Disney's lawyers would have no way of knowing of me having a viewing party if I chose to do that.

Astonishing Member

Not during a pandemic.

Ultimate Member

Disney's lawyers would have no way of knowing of me having a viewing party if I chose to do that.
    Correct.

And Disney is not going to risk bad press over it. There are some things not worth fighting over.

Also a school district can get a license to do that. I forget what it is called but we have it that allows for any movie to be shown. Most teachers don't show an entire movie to be begin with and most are linked to a lesson plan.

City Dallas has shown movies to large groups of people at the Margret Hill bridge. Not sure if they have a permit for that.

Why would people return to theaters when instant VOD is now a thing?
    I would rather watch at home than be in a theater.

I am sorry but you get TIRED of hearing about folks rumored or plotting to shoot up movie theaters over certain movies. I had to put up with that with Fantastic Four. It kept me away from The Force Awakens. It almost kept me away from Black Panther & Into Spiderverse.

Spiderverse remains the last movie I saw in theaters.

Retired

It seems like Movie Licensing U.S.A. is the guys monitoring activity. Someone at the school function must have dropped a dime. I would guess that with so many people flash-gramming and tweety birding, information is being gathered all the time without our knowing.

Back in the 1980s, in Edmonton, I belonged to an informal group of movie buffs and we would lease film reels to watch, usually in one of our apartments. We'd each chip in a few bucks, but I think the leasing fee was a lot higher than whatever money we put in the pot--there were a few in our group that had deeper pockets and were willing to cover the extra cost. I got to see a lot of obscure movies that way--this was before such movies were widely available on VHS, DVD or streaming. Movies like SHOCK CORRIDOR and GUN CRAZY.

Extraordinary Member

Some interesting on demand box-office this week. Not actual numbers but looks like some movies that were assumed bombs have been doing pretty well on demand. Bloodshot in particular.
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/video...0-list-a175698

Unless we see actual numbers, we don't know if they even made enough to break even.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Thanks to all that money they spent buying out carmike, building prime buildings, making a-list and others things that would have paid off this year but they were shut down, amc is in bad shape.

Unlike the other movie chains that are doing better amc will have to do really really well this july to stay open due to all the money they spent last year. Amazon could still buy them but if not they have to do well unlike the other chains that didn't go on a buying spree last year.

Astonishing Member

I am really into drive inns today, even better than actual cinema. Its great to lay in the car, shoes off, can talk if I want without annoy any others besides a friend or wife.

I hope it stays open, even if cinema is opening again.