Page 78 of 420 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Extraordinary Member

Box Office: Marvel’s ‘Shang-Chi’ Crushes Labor Day Weekend Records With $90 Million
    Marvel’s “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” capped off Labor Day weekend at the box office with a bang. The superhero action adventure, starring Canadian actor Simu Liu, had an even bigger debut than expected, collecting $90 million in its first four days of release and setting a new high watermark for the holiday weekend.

Since Labor Day is traditionally a slow weekend at the box office, the film’s three day total of $75.5 million from 4,300 theaters blew past previous the record set by 2007’s “Halloween” and its $30.6 million start. Despite concerns the delta variant would keep audiences at home, “Shang-Chi” notched the second-biggest opening weekend of the pandemic, behind only “Black Widow” with $80 million. Impressively, it ranked ahead of Universal’s “Fast & Furious” sequel “F9” ($70 million) and Paramount’s “A Quiet Place Part II” ($48 million), both of which opened earlier in summer at time when COVID-19 looked like it might eventually abate.

At the international box office, “Shang-Chi” amassed $56.2 million in key markets such as France, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom and Japan. The film doesn’t have a release date in China, which is an important territory for Marvel movies. Globally, “Shang-Chi” has made $146.2 million so far.

“‘Black Widow’ showed what a Marvel movie can do in pandemic conditions, and that release had the additional burden of a streaming option,” says David A. Gross. “For Marvel, ‘Shang-Chi’ is a creative departure, and at a cost of over $150 million, the results are very good.”

Unlike “Black Widow,” which debuted simultaneously on Disney Plus, “Shang-Chi” is playing only in theaters for its first 45 days of release before it lands on-demand. Disney CEO Bob Chapek called its theatrical-only release an “interesting experiment” and indicated its ticket sales would influence plans for future releases, such as “Eternals,” which is scheduled for Nov. 5.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...rd-1235057013/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Box Office: Marvel’s ‘Shang-Chi’ Crushes Labor Day Weekend Records With $90 Million

Wow I didn't know this one didn't have a release date in China either. What is going on with that stuff over there?

BANNED

Shang CHI box office is definitely strong. There is no way anyone can spin this as a big negative.

Without the pandemic, it could have easily cleared 100m in 3 days alone, without the 4 day holiday period. I do think it is now near impossible for an MCU Disney movie to flop hard.

Also Has the Disney CEO Bob Chapek taken his crappy statement back about calling the movie an experiment?

And venom 2 has moved---Up to start of oct!

Shang chi did good you say?

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/v...up-1235057019/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Shang CHI box office is definitely strong. There is no way anyone can spin this as a big negative.

Without the pandemic, it could have easily cleared 100m in 3 days alone, without the 4 day holiday period. I do think it is now near impossible for an MCU Disney movie to flop hard.

Also Has the Disney CEO Bob Chapek taken his crappy statement back about calling the movie an experiment?
    I think without the Pandemic it make 150 million in the USA and Canada over 4 days. I really do.

Well see if it has a big drop off like SS and BW did.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Well see if it has a big drop off like SS and BW did.
    Those films were released same day on streaming. The circumstances are not the same

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Those films were released same day on streaming. The circumstances are not the same
    It can still have a big drop off from what I have read been told from people who saw it the movie was just okay/good.

Film has a 98 aud score on rt! That's better then many other mcu films! So people do like it!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sha..._the_ten_rings

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Film has a 98 aud score on rt! That's better then many other mcu films! So people do like it!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sha..._the_ten_rings
    Cinemascore A.

Plus RT AUDIENCE average rating is 4.8 out of 5.
    That's 4 1/2 stars out of 5.
    Really close to 5 stars.
    Last edited by mace11; 09-06-2021 at 08:04 PM.

The $83m for shang chi 4 weekend was wrong! It made $90m! WW $146.2m.

“‘Black Widow’ showed what a Marvel movie can do in pandemic conditions, and that release had the additional burden of a streaming option,” says David A. Gross. “For Marvel, ‘Shang-Chi’ is a creative departure, and at a cost of over $150 million, the results are very good.”
    So $150m to make and it made $146.2m first week! Not bad!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 09-06-2021 at 07:25 PM.

Astonishing Member

Damn, and I have to wait for Disney to stream it, because no one of my friends is interested to see Shang chi in the theaters. This is the first Marvel movie where I cannot get one friend to watch it with me, even my oh so loyal wife told me: Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Damn, and I have to wait for Disney to stream it, because no one of my friends is interested to see Shang chi in the theaters. This is the first Marvel movie where I cannot get one friend to watch it with me, even my oh so loyal wife told me: Nope!
    You can go to the theater alone. I often do with movies my wife doesn't want to see.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Hilariously, the "gater" channels on Youtube are still trying to spin Shang-Chi into being a flop.

Good lord, these people are delusional and terribly dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Hilariously, the "gater" channels on Youtube are still trying to spin Shang-Chi into being a flop.

Good lord, these people are delusional and terribly dishonest.
    Hate is one hell of a drug.