Page 1 of 420 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Default The Box Office

I notice this forum didn't have thread this for I thought it good place to have thread where you can talk about

-Box Office numbers and success each weekend
    -Box Office Surprises which movie can out of nowhere and did good
    -Box office Tracking
    -General Movie news

Anyways first up to Bat

Sonic The Hedgehog’ Runs Faster With 4-Day Of $64M+

-Fans save this movie in my opinion,This look like it was going to be a gigantic bust but listening to fans to reworking the cgi and some good follow up marketing I think created a market for Sonic .

- Harley Quinn :Birds of Prey has made about 16 million domestically so far this weekend and they believe the number will end around 18 or 19 million, So it is domestic gross right now is about 48.5 million

- Early forecast is tracking Onward at 44 million, The Invisible Man at 20 to 25 million, and Ben Affleck "The way back" at 7 million

Ultimate Member

That Sonic thing is shocking.

I never for one day thought the movie would break out big like this.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

$64 million for Sonic? Wow! Didn’t see that coming. I suspect the studio probably didn’t either. Contrary to that old sports adage about how if general managers listen to fans, they end up sitting with them, in this instance, studio executives made the right call in taking criticisms about Sonic’s look to heart, and that resulted in a smash hit.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Sonic has A cinemascore with Audiences and 95% verified Audience score on Rotten Tomatoes which means people generally like the movie. For me nothing about that trailer scream it was must see but my guess on the Sonic is that an audience got invested in Sonic after the changed the cgi stuff.

I don't think the next two weekends have particular strong movies, Sonic could do really good at the box office. I thought it would be Harley Quinn BoP capitalizing on the weak competition but looks like Sonic will be one doing it.

Incredible Member

Good thread.

I'm with everyone else, Sonic is a huge surprise. I'm happy its doing well as I think it's a good example for future films to follow. I appreciate the director, he wasn't so full of himself that he listened to fans and changed the design. That's rare and I'm ecstatic that he's being rewarded for it. Also happy to see Jim Carey be Jim Carey which is what I've seen from alot of the good reviews.

I think it'll do good until Onward comes out. Although I haven't seen anything from the trailers that make me interested in that film, can't ever count out Pixar to make a good quality animation.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-16-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That Sonic thing is shocking.

I never for one day thought the movie would break out big like this.
    It deserves to be a hit for listening to the fans.

Looks like Sonic is doing even better. It will get like 67M over 4 days.

Retired

How can they say what the domestic gross will be by the end of Monday, when it's only Sunday morning? Not that I doubt the prediction--it just seems odd, since usually we have to wait until Sunday morning just to get the three day estimate.

I am surprised that SONIC did so well. It makes sense that families have been waiting for a good family movie to see over a long weekend--but with the all troubles and delays for SONIC, that suggested the movie wouldn't be so good.

Why would that be a surprise?

Sonic is not just a video game franchise, it had quite a few animated series, it totally could roll out as a fun family movie, and the redesign has been great.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Insane opening for Sonic, pretty bad drop BoP. Huh. Did anyone see this coming? I mean, I doubt anyone was expecting a remarkable hold for the latter, but anything above 40% for the 3-days portion of a Holiday weekend is... not good.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Insane opening for Sonic, pretty bad drop BoP. Huh. Did anyone see this coming? I mean, I doubt anyone was expecting a remarkable hold for the latter, but anything above 40% for the 3-days portion of a Holiday weekend is... not good.
    Yeah, I wasnt expecting BoP to drop that much. Whete it came in at 81 (ww) opening weekend I was expecting around mid 60's for the second. Asnit is a WW second weekend of barely 50 making it limp to 140 total WW gross after 11 days is pretty damn bad.

I on the otherhand always expected Sonic to do well. Thats one Ive been waiting for more than any MCU or DC film. I left the theatre with a sore face from smiling and laughing so hard on that one.

I have a strong suspicion that the Initial sonic design was a marketing stunt. It would always be a decent sell though, dudes the second biggest gaming mascot out there, a huge part of 90s nostalgia AND features Jim Carrey climbing his way up again.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Looks like Sonic could be on top for awhile as I don't think the new version of Call of the Wild starring Harrison Ford (this Friday) or another remake of The Invisible Man (next Friday) will unseat the current box office champ.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Coming out this week

Emma
    Starring Anya Taylor-Joy, Tanya Reynolds, Johnny Flynn, Mia Goth
    Budget ????

The Call of the Wild
    Starring Karen Gillan, Harrison Ford, Cara Gee, Dan Stevens
    Budget 109 million

Brahms the Boy II
    Starring Katie Holmes, Owain Yeoman, Christopher Convery, Ralph Ineson
    Budget???? The original "The Boy" had a 10 million budget made 64 million worldwide
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-17-2020 at 04:43 AM.

Boxofficeguru.com is estimating that, after its 48% drop in its sophomore weekend, HARLEY QUINN: BIRDS OF PREY will finish its run at about $95M domestic.

Production budget: $82M.
    Domestic + international marketing budget & distribution costs: just under $200M
    Total cost: about $275M (per Variety)

So, to break even domestically, HQBOP needs to make $164M in USA+CAN (b/c the local theaters keep 50% of profit). To break even globally, it needs to make at least $300M in sales (b/c the abroad theaters keep between 60% - 75% of profit, depending on country).

If all of this is accurate, then HQBOP will be deemed a financial flop by the people who invest in movie making.

That seems a shame.