Page 87 of 420 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Shang Chi would have made at least $100 million more in China.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Not sure if you are talking about domestic or worldwide? The points you bring up are certainly a factor regarding the domestic total. I still believe the box office proved robust enough to have more than one big movie playing successfully at the same time. And it looks like the opening weekend will be really big, the 60 million projections seem too low, instead it could become the biggest opening weekend of the year so far. And with an 80 million+ opening a total of 200 million+ is pretty much locked for a theater exclusive title if audiences don't wind up hating it, which doesn't seem to be the case here. My guess is that the domestic totals of Venom 2 and Shang-Chi will not be far apart.
    Have we seen more than one big film do well at the same time this year? Granted, things are slightly better now than they were earlier in the year but I don't see it as a robust market place for films yet. I guess we'll see soon though, I'd certainly like to be wrong here as it would hopefully mean more big releases in the near future but I'm in a pessimistic mood so I don't see that happening.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Have we seen more than one big film do well at the same time this year? Granted, things are slightly better now than they were earlier in the year but I don't see it as a robust market place for films yet. I guess we'll see soon though, I'd certainly like to be wrong here as it would hopefully mean more big releases in the near future but I'm in a pessimistic mood so I don't see that happening.
    Not on subsequent weekends but the openings of F9 and Black Widow were only two weeks apart and it didn't stop them from becoming the second and third highest grossers of the year so far.

Of course subsequent weekends like with Venom 2 and No Time To Die is a slightly different case so we'll have to see. Have a feeling it's going to hurt Bond more than Venom though. Ironically Venom 2 had a September 24th release date at first before they moved it to October. That would have been a clearly better environment with two weeks without serious competition instead of only one.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Dear even hanson dropped 78%!

Bond heading for a $113m ww opening.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time...nd-1234847227/

Venom 2 now heading to $71m opening in america!

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...nd-1235079482/

Also if you have not seen it go see spirited away in theatres this weekend. It's a really good animated film.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-02-2021 at 02:07 PM.

What are you talking about, No Time To Die did not get released in China yet.
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 10-02-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Oops. Yup that was my mess up. Fixed it.

Called it, Venom 2 has the highest opening weekend of the pandemic with 90 million. That's 10 million more than the opening of the first one in 2018.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/venom-l...ce-1234847950/

Yeah thats great for venom.

“We are also pleased that patience and theatrical exclusivity have been rewarded with record results,” Sony’s chairman Tom Rothman said in a statement to press. “With apologies to Mr. Twain: The death of movies has been greatly exaggerated.”
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/v...ny-1235079710/

$18m for addams 2. Sopranos sequel was a dud.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...-2-1235024657/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-03-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Ultimate Member

Called it, Venom 2 has the highest opening weekend of the pandemic with 90 million. That's 10 million more than the opening of the first one in 2018.

That's very, very impressive.

I'm legit surprised. People really love these Venom movies.

And people doubt Tom Hardy

Astonishing Member

I have to say I am a little surprised it did so well. I figured it would do pretty good but the first film wasn't loved I mean generally people liked it, and this film from the podcasts I've listened to is getting mixed reviews. But I guess all the stars are aligned for this.

Completely baffled by the popularity of Venom, but then I didn’t really get why Avatar was ever popular either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I have to say I am a little surprised it did so well. .
    I find it odd some are saying they are surprised it did so well. the first spiderman sony film was the first film to crack 100m on a weekend nearly 20 years ago.

Sony Spiderman had always shown longevity at the box office, the myth that sony was completely clueless and useless was always a lie, every sony spiderman film had always made money, also dont forget venom first film appearance was in Spiderman 3, the weakest of the Raimi films but likely still the highest grossing spiderman of all time if we adjust by inflation. This is actually were the curiosity of the Venom character evolved from in film, even if many will say Tobey Maguire's performance was cringe in Spiderman 3.

I've listened to is getting mixed reviews. But I guess all the stars are aligned for this.
    I would not put too much on reviews, Venon is a sony film, critics tend to be harsher but the first film has it fans and Vocal base, I dont feel it is fair or true either to say it was not loved since I can tell you as a person who hangs around spiderman fandoms a lot, the Venom movie has less complaints than the Holland Spiderman movies because of the Tony Stark father figure thing. the first venom movie is actually more ''liked'' or maybe the word I should say is, gets less picked upon in the fandom. so the critics been harsh or mixed here does not really say much to many people, especially at a time, the credibility of reviewing comic films has gone down the drain.

Venom's box office numbers is remarkable giving the circumstances and Sony should be commended including also the Spiderman fandom for their support of the film. Since a lot of them, really want Sony to keep the rights of Spiderman and if Venom movies keeps making money at the box office, it may just happen since Sony really needs the Spiderman IP to keep their studio booming. Jared Leto's Mobius is their next stop and I got to say, Mobius from the trailers looks better than the Venom movies, so hopefully the box office reflects that.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-03-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That's pretty awesome news
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Completely baffled by the popularity of Venom, but then I didn’t really get why Avatar was ever popular either.
    I want to believe its the tone (?) of the Venom films.

They are quite comedic films. I don't even mean subtle comedy, the movies delve into slapstick stuff.

And the movies are almost nothing like the comics.