Page 122 of 420 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The Omicron surge is starting to have an impact on people going out. Not sure how much it will be, but we will all see going forward.
    Omicron is already in over 40 states, and experts are saying it’ll soon become the dominant strain of COVID in the States. That’s sure to spook moviegoers into staying home, but in what numbers is anybody’s guess, and that doesn’t bode well for releases in January and February.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Omicron is already in over 40 states, and experts are saying it’ll soon become the dominant strain of COVID in the States. That’s sure to spook moviegoers into staying home, but in what numbers is anybody’s guess, and that doesn’t bode well for releases in January and February.
    I'm not so sure about that since the Omicron variant seems to be the least deadly variant of COVID so far, according to the current research. From what I've seen, people everywhere have had enough of COVID and are learning to live with it, just taking precautions to minimize the risk to themselves and others. From people I've talked to, there isn't that much fear about Omicron. They know it's out there and they'll deal with it when it comes. Also, Spider-Man: No Way Home is an event movie. When I went to see it on Friday, not only was my showing sold out, there were huge lines for the concessions as well, something I had not seen with any other movie in the past during the pandemic era. I even heard people talking about COVID at the theater, itself, and how they are annoyed at all the fear mongering by the media when, all told, it's not that much deadlier than the flu, especially for those without comorbidities. While older people and those with comorbidities may stay home, for everyone else, I think they'll just mask up and if they want to see the movie or were already planning to see the movie, they'll go see it, just taking the precautions for themselves and others.

Retired

The reason omicron doesn't seem so severe is because it takes a couple of weeks to register the impact. At the rate of infection--even if less people suffer life altering effects--the impact to the health care system becomes greater.

Even an outbreak of the flu in care homes can have devastating effects. And this virus is not the flu.

People want to believe it's not going to be that bad. But it doesn't matter what you feel about the virus. Science doesn't work that way.

$253m. Over $500m worldwide and passed star wars fa as third highest grossing opening in history.

Edit--it's getting reported but not confirmed $587.2m ww! And that's with no china release yet!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-19-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    $253m. Over $500m worldwide and passed star wars fa as third highest grossing opening in history.

Edit--it's getting reported but not confirmed $587.2m ww! And that's with no china release yet!
    This has $2bn+ gross written all over it.

Astonishing Member

Basically and this is not a leap, but if not for covid, and no release in China this would have had the highest box office of all time. That is something else.

I think the whole China thing is basically done with right now for these Hollywood movies in most respects. They are playing economic and political games with movies.

Mighty Member

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ave-much-lower

Only 1.7% of identified Covid-19 cases were admitted to hospital in the second week of infections in the fourth wave, compared with 19% in the same week of the third delta-driven wave, South African Health Minister Joe Phaahla said at a press conference.

Jim Kelly the above is why Omicron seems less deadly because of actual results. I have heard multiple times that viruses mutate to become more contagious but less deadly and that seems to be holding true.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Eternals will likely pass $400 million worldwide with this week at some point. Its been a slow climb as the movie lost screens and overseas slowed down for it. Unlike Disney giving a quick update to say Shang-Chi will return in a sequel , this one...not so much. Disney/Marvel has a lot to really think on with this film not performing as the other Marvel films have done. A fact Shang-Chi performed better as has Spider-Man (which Feige and Sony detailed the next 3 films are already being planned) .

What likely hurt Eternals was the trailer. The trailer didn't really give a sense of WOW , I MUST SEE THIS FILM. It basically just threw characters onscreen. Then claimed how they couldn't help against Thanos. That was it and you saw scenes of these characters. No introduction fun trailer to get fans into them. No real luring a domestic fanbase to it. (which was needed MAJOR to help it)

Eternals will be a question mark. If Disney decides a sequel , the film has to be done better and better trailer to make fans watch and not wait on a Disney+ release a month or 2 later.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Eternals will likely pass $400 million worldwide with this week at some point. Its been a slow climb as the movie lost screens and overseas slowed down for it. Unlike Disney giving a quick update to say Shang-Chi will return in a sequel , this one...not so much. Disney/Marvel has a lot to really think on with this film not performing as the other Marvel films have done. A fact Shang-Chi performed better as has Spider-Man (which Feige and Sony detailed the next 3 films are already being planned) .

What likely hurt Eternals was the trailer. The trailer didn't really give a sense of WOW , I MUST SEE THIS FILM. It basically just threw characters onscreen. Then claimed how they couldn't help against Thanos. That was it and you saw scenes of these characters. No introduction fun trailer to get fans into them. No real luring a domestic fanbase to it. (which was needed MAJOR to help it)

Eternals will be a question mark. If Disney decides a sequel , the film has to be done better and better trailer to make fans watch and not wait on a Disney+ release a month or 2 later.

I mean ya could be right. But if they don't do a sequel its no big deal. I mean they have 25 movies at this point or whatever. One not doing great isn't the end of the world. It still did better in the states than every other movie except F9 and the other marvel films. They tried and maybe it didn't work. Maybe down the line they can incorporate some of them into other things. Who knows

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ave-much-lower

Only 1.7% of identified Covid-19 cases were admitted to hospital in the second week of infections in the fourth wave, compared with 19% in the same week of the third delta-driven wave, South African Health Minister Joe Phaahla said at a press conference.

Jim Kelly the above is why Omicron seems less deadly because of actual results. I have heard multiple times that viruses mutate to become more contagious but less deadly and that seems to be holding true.

Yea the real question people have is if it spreads 20 times faster or whatever how many more people it could infect then even if generally less severe you have more cases in the hospital. I guess we will see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise E View Post
    I'm not so sure about that since the Omicron variant seems to be the least deadly variant of COVID so far, according to the current research. From what I've seen, people everywhere have had enough of COVID and are learning to live with it, just taking precautions to minimize the risk to themselves and others. From people I've talked to, there isn't that much fear about Omicron. They know it's out there and they'll deal with it when it comes. Also, Spider-Man: No Way Home is an event movie. When I went to see it on Friday, not only was my showing sold out, there were huge lines for the concessions as well, something I had not seen with any other movie in the past during the pandemic era. I even heard people talking about COVID at the theater, itself, and how they are annoyed at all the fear mongering by the media when, all told, it's not that much deadlier than the flu, especially for those without comorbidities. While older people and those with comorbidities may stay home, for everyone else, I think they'll just mask up and if they want to see the movie or were already planning to see the movie, they'll go see it, just taking the precautions for themselves and others.
    Wanting to move forward just taking precautions to minimize the risk of spread seems sensible enough to me. But be wary of comparisons to the common flu, that's been a popular disinformation nugget since the beginning of the pandemic and by now it's just music to the ears of the willfully ignorant.

I thought the trailer's Deviants looked underwhelming at least.

By the way I don't know why they haven't announced a Free Guy sequel yet, you'd think they'd want to sell an extra successful story for this year out of that Fox acquisition. Maybe they're still talking with the director, Ryan Reynolds and (I hope) Jodie Comer.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean ya could be right. But if they don't do a sequel its no big deal. I mean they have 25 movies at this point or whatever. One not doing great isn't the end of the world. It still did better in the states than every other movie except F9 and the other marvel films. They tried and maybe it didn't work. Maybe down the line they can incorporate some of them into other things. Who knows
    I'd say its the 1st time Marvel Films took a bit of a small hit on a film. In almost 13+ years of films the studio never really had a film not deliver for a sequel. They have rolled the dice on Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy as we saw. This dice roll came up a bit snake eyes.

It could make them think , ok maybe trying a New Warriors film or a Defenders film may not work exactly. This could make them debate properties they adapt to film or take a bigger hand in some films creatively if they see something not working.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Astonishing Member

I'd say its the 1st time Marvel Films took a bit of a small hit on a film. In almost 13+ years of films the studio never really had a film not deliver for a sequel. They have rolled the dice on Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy as we saw. This dice roll came up a bit snake eyes.

It could make them think , ok maybe trying a New Warriors film or a Defenders film may not work exactly. This could make them debate properties they adapt to film or take a bigger hand in some films creatively if they see something not working.

Maybe. But Eternals is a pretty unique property. Way different than a defenders or New Warriors type film. Its amazing to me they took the chance on the property in the first place. In retrospect if they wanted to introduce these characters maybe throwing 10 of them into one film where no one has a clue who they are was a mistake. But I dont think its indicative at all for the future of marvel except maybe don't take 10 super powered characters from somewhere and throw them all onto one film at once.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Maybe. But Eternals is a pretty unique property. Way different than a defenders or New Warriors type film. Its amazing to me they took the chance on the property in the first place. In retrospect if they wanted to introduce these characters maybe throwing 10 of them into one film where no one has a clue who they are was a mistake. But I dont think its indicative at all for the future of marvel except maybe don't take 10 super powered characters from somewhere and throw them all onto one film at once.

I think they saw the success of Guardians of Galaxy which had a bunch of characters no one ever saw before and how well it HIT. I mean at the time people questioned them for putting Star Lord , Rocket Raccoon , Gamora , Groot and Drax in a film. Guardians wasn't a known property beyond the late 2000's relaunch. It was like...can they carry a film ?

So they thought we can make Eternals be our next Guardians type franchise deal. Its just....well the trailer didn't have that fun aspect. The 1st trailer for Guardians was about fun and getting to know these characters. (Which Gunn did a great job with)

Extraordinary Member

So when the x-men/mutants trailer comes out they have make it like the gofg trailer too?
    If they do that then you will have folks like castle complaining they made the mcu x-men/mutants look fun.