Page 105 of 420 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

I found a link, changed my post.

https://screenrant.com/most-profitable-movies-ever/
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Base on the numbers we have neither Dune nor Cruella were a huge financial success at the domestic box office when their sequels were announced, but as studios move towards streaming and are looking for franchises to build their catalog both these movies created enough interest for long term investment.
    In Cruella's case I see its final box office was 233 million, but fortunately its reported budget was 100 million, not as huge as other blockbusters. And this is before the Premier Access sales. With a theatrical window, a similar box office to Free Guy (331 million, also this year) wouldn't be unthinkable.

Cruella also had generally positive reception with critics and audiences, and kept popping up in the Nielsen top 10 charts, so a sequel building on what people liked wouldn't seem like a bad idea, to salvage from a compromised year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Checked, Paranormal Activity and the original Mad Max. $100 million on a $200K budget.

100 million on a 200k budget? Holy crap!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Yeah the original Paranormal Activity film was shot basically more or less as a cheap student film it seems. Its budget was actually $15,000....

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...ref_=bo_se_r_2
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Yeah the original Paranormal Activity film was shot basically more or less as a cheap student film it seems. Its budget was actually $15,000....

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...ref_=bo_se_r_2

That is bonkers and impressive.

Astonishing Member

Im curious to see what Matrix does. In normal times I would say it would be really big. Honestly I don't know what the pandemic is going to be like in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    That is bonkers and impressive.
    In reading Paramount bought the film more or less and then put $200,000 of their own money into it by changing an ending. They modified the ending to what we saw. The original creator filmed this movie in 7 days (day n night) and was able to keep costs low due to how it was filmed. (on a tripod mostly)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Hard to pin down Paranormal Activity, that $15,000 was the original budget. Probably cost more to get it theater ready. So it could be the chanp, depending on that number.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Ridley Scott Pins ‘The Last Duel’ Bombing on Apathetic Millennials

Scott’s explanation for the horrible box office performance? Apathetic millennials.
    “I think what it boils down to — what we’ve got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fucking cellphones. The millennian [sic] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you’re told it on a cellphone,” Scott said.

“This is a broad stroke, but I think we’re dealing with it right now with Facebook,” Scott added. “This is a misdirection that has happened where it’s given the wrong kind of confidence to this latest generation, I think.”
    Good lord. Just blame the pandemic if you don't want to be introspective.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Ridley Scott Pins ‘The Last Duel’ Bombing on Apathetic Millennials

Good lord. Just blame the pandemic if you don't want to be introspective.
    I saw that and just rolled my eyes. Way to be tone-deaf man.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

I wonder when Gen z will become the scapegoat

I think Scott should have just said the films story and timing (coming back from Pandemic) killed it. No one really knew this story at all and many likely had just came off The Green Knight a few months earlier and thought this was another film like that. Not realizing its a 600+ year old real serious story.

In all if I was a studio I'd have never approved it. Given as I posted a lot of big budgeted historical films have bombed the last 2 decades.

Ultimate Member

Or put it on a streaming service

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I think Scott should have just said the films story and timing (coming back from Pandemic) killed it. No one really knew this story at all and many likely had just came off The Green Knight a few months earlier and thought this was another film like that. Not realizing its a 600+ year old real serious story.

In all if I was a studio I'd have never approved it. Given as I posted a lot of big budgeted historical films have bombed the last 2 decades.
    It also just didn't look good.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It also just didn't look good.
    Its hard to sell a 600+ year old possible assault on a woman story work. Had this been a big battle epic ...it would have maybe done better.