Disney says its ‘primary focus’ for entertainment is streaming — announces a major reorg

-Disney is restructuring its media and entertainment divisions.

-In order to further accelerate its direct-to-consumer strategy, the company will be centralizing its media businesses into a single organization that will be responsible for content distribution, ad sales and Disney+.

-The change comes as the global coronavirus pandemic has crippled its theatrical business and ushered more customers toward its streaming options.

“Given the incredible success of Disney+ and our plans to accelerate our direct-to-consumer business, we are strategically positioning our Company to more effectively support our growth strategy and increase shareholder value,” Chapek said in a statement announcing the reorganization. “Managing content creation distinct from distribution will allow us to be more effective and nimble in making the content consumers want most, delivered in the way they prefer to consume it.”
Honestly as business think about it, Movie they have split some of profit with the theater and others. Regular cable and other forms media dvds they have again split with a someone. Streaming they are getting 100% percent of the profit. How much movies do you see in a year in theater for me now it is about 3 or 4 per year at worse. If I am subbed to Disney plus all year they get more money from me than if I was going to the theater.

That is why everyone is jumping in the streaming game imo, It is just sure and CONSISTENT source of money if you build a base of people. The box office isn't going to die but the Box office as we know it is going to go through some changes.