Page 102 of 420 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    As for this weekend's box office, I find it quite funny that the Ghostbusters revival is actually opening less than the much maligned 2016 version.

The big difference though is that this 2021 version cost $75m compared to the previous one that cost $144m.

Male or female, outside of the original Ghostbusters cast there doesn't seem to be that much interest in GB.

This one is going with mostly an unknown teenage cast except Paul Rudd. That is the difference. This film has Finn Wolfhard and McKenna Grace as the key stars other than big name actresses as we saw in last one.

This one likely will do better than the last one.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, I hope it does well. I don't like seeing movies fail, ever.

But this one is pretty much guaranteed to at least cover its production budget given it's rather "modest" cost.

I mean I'm not really sure what is considered a failure anymore. I mean Dune is doing ok numbers but they announced sequel right away. Its production budget is 165 million. Which sounds low for me for a movie like that. But who knows with HBO max numbers and stuff maybe its a big hit. I don't know. I hate debating if movies are making money or not. I think you or someone else on these boards have stated studios never admit movies make money

I mean if I was just looking at raw numbers they would tell me that Shang Chi made a greater profit than Dune. But honestly I don't freaking know.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 11-20-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post

Do you believe any of the theater exclusive movies released this year would have hit 300 million domestic in pre-pandemic times?
    Maybe Shang Chi if it was released in the summer?

Do you think Black Widow would have made 300M domestic if it was theatre exclusive pre-pandemic times? A billion with China?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    This one is going with mostly an unknown teenage cast except Paul Rudd. That is the difference. This film has Finn Wolfhard and McKenna Grace as the key stars other than big name actresses as we saw in last one.

This one likely will do better than the last one.
    I doubt it'll gross more than the 2016 version.

But ultimately with the smaller budget it will be successful but i can't see it grossing more than the 2016 version.

I hope I'm wrong though but I will be genuinely surprised if it does.

Fun fact: Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Iron Man 3 are the only MCU solo movies that made more domestic than Jumanji 2.

So could you elaborate why it would be outlandish to expect Shang-Chi to make less than the Jumanji movies?
    Because it's the top film of the year so far, and in the year Jumanji 2 came out, it was number 10. So non-pandemic Shag-Chi would probably done much better.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Obviously there’s no right answer on what might have been (Black Widow wouldn’t have even been a 2021 movie). The MCU lost a full year of momentum. But since folks are guessing, I think it’s easier to go the other way. I don’t think that Captain Marvel would’ve made 360 million this year (it’s domestic gross less 15%] or that Joker would’ve made 280 million or IT 2 would’ve hit 185 million, etc.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

On a different note, I don’t think Eternals will pass F9, so doesn’t look like Marvel will get the top five unless there’s a holiday boost.

Looks like ghostbusters is doing better then they expected. Heading for $40m.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ay-1235051239/

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Do you think Black Widow would have made 300M domestic if it was theatre exclusive pre-pandemic times? A billion with China?
    Possible. But I also think it would have done much better this year if it were released exclusively in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Because it's the top film of the year so far, and in the year Jumanji 2 came out, it was number 10. So non-pandemic Shag-Chi would probably done much better.
    I doubt that's how it works. If studios don't release movies that catch the interest of the audience then people won't spend their money on movies they aren't interested in, but will rather choose other forms of entertainment like Netflix, TV, and so on. If there is no Avengers and no Star Wars then people won't spend their money on Shang-Chi instead just to watch something in a theater. There are enough alternatives.

I remember at year's end 2019 when nobody thought of a pandemic everybody expected 2020 to be a comparably soft year in terms of box office. The expected top movies were F9, Black Widow, WW1984, No Time To Die, and none of them was a sure bet to hit 1 billion even without covid.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Obviously there’s no right answer on what might have been (Black Widow wouldn’t have even been a 2021 movie). The MCU lost a full year of momentum. But since folks are guessing, I think it’s easier to go the other way. I don’t think that Captain Marvel would’ve made 360 million this year (it’s domestic gross less 15%] or that Joker would’ve made 280 million or IT 2 would’ve hit 185 million, etc.
    There is no other point in time where Captain Marvel would have made close to what it made 2 months prior to Endgame. CM's box office is an anomaly if there ever was one.

With AQP 2 making 160 million I don't see why the better-known horror franchise shouldn't make 185 million. With an obscure comic book character like Shang-Chi making 224 million I don't see why a popcultural mainstay and wellknown character like Joker shouldn't make 280 million.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Astonishing Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. Who really thinks Captain Marvel would have done 360 million this year? Come on.

Astonishing Member

On a different note, I don’t think Eternals will pass F9, so doesn’t look like Marvel will get the top five unless there’s a holiday boost.

Yea it looks like it probably won't pass it. On the other hand Thanksgiving can always boost a lot of movies so its possible. But if I was a betting man I would say I agree with ya.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Looks like ghostbusters is doing better then they expected. Heading for $40m.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ay-1235051239/
    Sony positioned it well where at Thanksgiving week its gonna do really well with families .Not a bad opening for a group of unknown teenagers and Paul Rudd.

This is what...$7+ million off the opening of last one.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member

Eternals is doing poorly mainly because it's an obscure IP and because it isn't a very good movie according to critics and audiences (it has a B CinemaScore) likewise.
    Eternals overall is not doing poorly so far.
    It's doing overall well so far.

My view what the audience thinks is below.

This was posted in another forum below.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post

Well looking at the cinemascore it has B,but looking at RT audience score most folks like it.
    It could be interpreted this way.
    Most of the audience like it,more then critics.
    RT rating- 80% for the audience BUT has the lowest cineamascore for the canon mcu.
    That mean most people like it the least on average then the other mcu movies but still say it is a great film looking at another score alot folks are not mentioning.
    4.1 out of 5 average rating
    That's 4 stars out 5.
    Great.

In other words most folks enjoy the first thor movie more(B+) but there were more folks that like eternals more then thor.
    Eternals Liked more then thor
    Eternals
    80%

Thor
    76%

Eternals a stronger made movie then thor
    Eternals
    4.1 out of 5 average rating

Thor
    3.8 out of 5 average rating

Eternals not as enjoyable as thor(could be varied reasons in the movie but still rated higher above in average rating.)
    Eternals
    B

Thor
    B+

B CinemaScore is not bad by the way.

For the rest of my views go here.
    THREAD: ETERNALS MCU APPRECIATION 2021
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...90#post5808090
    Last edited by mace11; 11-20-2021 at 10:12 PM.

They were expecting $20m to $30m for ghostbusters. $40m or higher is more then they were expecting. Next week it has to fight the new disney animated film however.

Looks like the hbo max curse strikes again. Will smiths movie starts with a thud in 4th place. Is getting good reviews but everyone watched it on hbo max and not at the theatres.

Eternals hitting $136m in america.

Dune looks like may make it to $100m in america. If it does it will be the only hbo max film other then gvk to do so.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...nd-1235116346/

Astonishing Member

With AQP 2 making 160 million I don't see why the better-known horror franchise shouldn't make 185 million. With an obscure comic book character like Shang-Chi making 224 million I don't see why a popcultural mainstay and wellknown character like Joker shouldn't make 280 million.
    I'm amused Joker is getting namedropped in a scapegoating discussion about current year underperformance. I remember when Joker was coming out people weren't sold on the Joaquer look (but that always happens with new Jokers) or weren't sure if Maleficent 2 could be the bigger movie for that month (by now we know Disney was unloading as much big product in theaters for that year). And that was before the media fearmongering started. Joker could have been fine doing Shang-Chi numbers at any point in time, especially when we don't know for sure if we're getting a direct sequel soon or if we're looking at the next Gladiator.