Page 172 of 420 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182222272 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Minions 2 hits $178.96M domestic after less than two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    Downward predictions amounts continue? Now expected $130-$140 mil.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/box-off...er-1235060300/
    Flop incoming.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    Downward predictions amounts continue? Now expected $130-$140 mil.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/box-off...er-1235060300/
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Flop incoming.
    Even with these lower estimates, it's ahead of the $122 million opening of 'Thor: Ragnarok'.

I don't think this movie will surpass Ragnarok at the box office, but I think it will beat both Thor 1 and 2.

Fantastic Member

Yeah...it kinda sucks that Hollywood doesn't listen to the audience. Market saturation is real and if you are going to be "diverse" Everything Everywhere All At Once and Shang Chi proved that it's the Asian communities that are under-served not the female ones. Natalie Portman being box office poison isn't a shocker to me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    Yeah...it kinda sucks that Hollywood doesn't listen to the audience. Market saturation is real and if you are going to be "diverse" Everything Everywhere All At Once and Shang Chi proved that it's the Asian communities that are under-served not the female ones. Natalie Portman being box office poison isn't a shocker to me.
    I don’t think it is her. I cringed multiple times during Love and Thunder despite loving the previous movie and there have to be others like me.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    I don’t think it is her. I cringed multiple times during Love and Thunder despite loving the previous movie and there have to be others like me.
    While I'm not really catching the Marvel movies in theaters anymore, Love & Thunder was one I decided after the first trailer I was not going to see. It looked to me to be doubling down on Ragnarok, which I happened to enjoy and think is the best Thor movie (not a high bar, though). The problem I foresaw, correctly it seems, is they amped it up too much and truly "doubled down" so to speak. Meaning, they made it goofier, added even more jokes, etc.

At some point we all need to ask when enough is enough? Ragnarok balanced things for the most part. Most part. But with Love & Thunder I've now read too many critic and audience reviews that say it's just too much and reaches the point of parody.

Disney deserves this flop if it ends up being one. I doubt it, though. People are eating up just about everything Disney puts out right now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    While I'm not really catching the Marvel movies in theaters anymore, Love & Thunder was one I decided after the first trailer I was not going to see. It looked to me to be doubling down on Ragnarok, which I happened to enjoy and think is the best Thor movie (not a high bar, though). The problem I foresaw, correctly it seems, is they amped it up too much and truly "doubled down" so to speak. Meaning, they made it goofier, added even more jokes, etc.

At some point we all need to ask when enough is enough? Ragnarok balanced things for the most part. Most part. But with Love & Thunder I've now read too many critic and audience reviews that say it's just too much and reaches the point of parody.

Disney deserves this flop if it ends up being one. I doubt it, though. People are eating up just about everything Disney puts out right now.
    I agree with the doubling down being the problem and I think people’s reaction to that is driving down the estimates via poor for a MCU movie word of mouth.

Astonishing Member

There are a lot of people putting completely impossible and unrealistic expectations to these box office numbers. The last two MCU movies Spider-man and Strange made almost 3 billion worldwide. Strange didn't get released in China or Russia and made 411 million domestic which is top 10 for a CBM all time. Thor is opening higher than the last Thor. WTF do people want?

Astonishing Member

Thor just clocked in at 143 million.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    There are a lot of people putting completely impossible and unrealistic expectations to these box office numbers. The last two MCU movies Spider-man and Strange made almost 3 billion worldwide. Strange didn't get released in China or Russia and made 411 million domestic which is top 10 for a CBM all time. Thor is opening higher than the last Thor. WTF do people want?
    Agree, I don't know how much Thor L&T will make by the end of its run but so far it is not a flop.

Thor just clocked in at 143 million.
    World Wide estimates is at 302 million.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Agree, I don't know how much Thor L&T will make by the end of its run but so far it is not a flop.

World Wide estimates is at 302 million.
    Its not a flop. A ww $302 opening is pretty huge.

Its a hit. Its the critical reaction that's EXTREMELY mixed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Its not a flop. A ww $302 opening is pretty huge.

Its a hit. Its the critical reaction that's EXTREMELY mixed.

How does that rank for the year? I know Strange had to open higher. And the Dino movie with China, Top gun?

Incredible Member

Unfortunately some people want the MCU to fail and they are always hoping that the next movie will be a flop so they can start dancing on its grave. Sometimes they can’t help themselves and start predicting a flop before all the numbers are even in.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Unfortunately some people want the MCU to fail and they are always hoping that the next movie will be a flop so they can start dancing on its grave. Sometimes they can’t help themselves and start predicting a flop before all the numbers are even in.
    Ya Probably about the same amount of the hardcore MCU fans who want every DCEU/Sony movie to flop I don't really get it but it is what it is.

Ultimate Member

How does that rank for the year? I know Strange had to open higher. And the Dino movie with China, Top gun?
    I'm not yet sure how it ranks.

Strange was higher and I think JW did $142m opening weekend. I can't remember how much Top Gun opened with at all (that film is at $597m domestic...wow).

But domestically Thor's opening puts it as the 9th highest-grossing movie of the year already.