Page 45 of 420 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Yeah after the rock joined the fast films shot up and took off. Fast 7 had the "ledger joker" effect with the actors death also adding to it. (the crow did also).

Hobbes spin-off did well also. Again however this one has bigger trouble with the bad reviews, john cena china thing and doramon fight but is still holding it's own in china.

In america they don't have to worry about doraomon or cenas comments so only bad reviews are a big trouble for them. Also no rock in this one may hurt it also.

We won't know till it comes out. Universal also just confirmed the new jurassic park trailer will be in front of it but that trailer will leak online in a day so not sure if that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Yes. the factual numbers don't lie

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...ross-1-billion

Fast and the Furious 7 was the fastest film to get over a billion at that time in 2015. it did it in 17 days which is even less than 3 full weeks than I had thought.
    I'll repeat it again: F9 is only playing in 7, in words: seven, countries. Do you know how many countries exist on this planet and how outrageously small the number of seven countries is in comparison? So if you want an acurrate comparison you should check how much Fast & Furious 7 made in these seven markets and not how much it made in 68 markets and compare that to F9's result in seven countries.

By the way you aren't even able to post the correct link for your claim. The link provided only informs us about how fast Avengers: Endgame and Avengers: Infinity War crossed the billion mark, there is no mention of Fast & Furious 7.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-10-2021 at 07:50 AM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    I'll repeat it again: F9 is only playing in 7, in words: seven, countries. Do you know how many countries exist on this planet and how outrageously small the number of seven countries is in comparison? So if you want an acurrate comparison you should check how much Fast & Furious 7 made in these seven markets and not how much it made in 68 markets and compare that to F9's result in seven countries.

By the way you aren't even able to post the correct link for your claim. The link provided only informs us about how fast Avengers: Endgame and Avengers: Infinity War crossed the billion mark, there is no mention of Fast & Furious 7.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32379253
    Furious 7 is fastest film to take $1 billion worldwide

Additionally there are only two main markets when it comes to box office with American films.

1. Domestic market
    2. Foreign Market.

Furious 9 is only playing in 7 markets because of COVID but on regular day with no COVID or a limited market, a film like the F and F series making over a billion in less than a month is not a big deal.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-10-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Looks like the jurassic park trailer in front of fast 9 is not a trailer. It's a new 5 min live action theatre short that takes place before the film.

OK that might get people to come see it.

BANNED

I hope Jurassic World 3 is decent, because the previous two was not that good.
    I’m predicting F9 will open about $65 million in the U.S.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    F9 is only playing in seven markets right now, there's no way it would have come close to one billion with only seven markets (US not among them) even in pre-pandemic times...

That said I believe F9 will miss the billion mark at the end of its run significantly, but that's only partly due to covid. That franchise is past its peak and in decline.
    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Even still it should be at least $500 million by now.
    Haven’t made anything up, just go back to the previous F&F movies
    Go back and check the actual numbers
    I checked the actual numbers just for funsies and you're still wrong.

Posting, in order, first the third weekend total number for Fast 9's current territories then same for its predecessor Fate of the Furious in 2017 then Furious 7 in 2015 (both of which finished with more than a billion pre-pandemic) at the same amount of weekends released:

Egypt: 893,000/1,308,155/1,529,615

Hong Kong: 4,004,596/6,239,756/6,886,232

Russia: 16,099,295/27,715,184/32,100,117

South Korea: 17,701,143/23,142,867/21,606,291

United Arab Emirates: 5,155,662/9,285,724/9,479,151

China: 203,881,000/373,921,406/325,800,000

I'm listing 6 territories instead of the 7 where F9 has been out because I didn't see the previous 2 movies were released in theaters in Saudi Arabia, apparently the industry is just nascent there.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...?ref_=bo_rl_ti

So at that point of time in just those territories Fast 7 had made $441,613,092 and Fate of the Furious $397,401,406, so not only did none of them pass $500 million in that few countries without the pandemic being an issue, there was also overall a downturn from 7 to the next installment because as chicago_bastard said, franchises aren't immune from passing expiration dates and the Chinese continue to show that to this day. They can give 800 million to Hi Mom recently but less money to Fast 9 than they did to the last 2 movies in a row.

Astonishing Member

Oh and even the installment closest to 500 million for the sake of this discussion came out a whooping 6 years ago. Maybe it's true there's a finite amount of gas left on this franchise, at least for the main series. But I have hopes the Hobbs & Shaw spin-off could at least become a duology, it was a hit and was all about being crazy from the beginning.

Thurs box office. Peter rabbit 2 made $900k last night. Heights thurs will roll into todays box office. No word on hitman wifes bodyguards "sneek peek" or the other films yet.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/peter-r...ic-1234773599/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I checked the actual numbers just for funsies and you're still wrong.

Posting, in order, first the third weekend total number for Fast 9's current territories then same for its predecessor Fate of the Furious in 2017 then Furious 7 in 2015 (both of which finished with more than a billion pre-pandemic) at the same amount of weekends released:

Egypt: 893,000/1,308,155/1,529,615

Hong Kong: 4,004,596/6,239,756/6,886,232

Russia: 16,099,295/27,715,184/32,100,117

South Korea: 17,701,143/23,142,867/21,606,291

United Arab Emirates: 5,155,662/9,285,724/9,479,151

China: 203,881,000/373,921,406/325,800,000

I'm listing 6 territories instead of the 7 where F9 has been out because I didn't see the previous 2 movies were released in theaters in Saudi Arabia, apparently the industry is just nascent there.

So at that point of time in just those territories Fast 7 had made $441,613,092 and Fate of the Furious $397,401,406, so not only did none of them pass $500 million in that few countries without the pandemic being an issue, there was also overall a downturn from 7 to the next installment because as chicago_bastard said, franchises aren't immune from passing expiration dates and the Chinese continue to show that to this day. They can give 800 million to Hi Mom recently but less money to Fast 9 than they did to the last 2 movies in a row.
    But you just proved me right. These numbers is closer to $500m the they are to $250m with only 6 territories, if you would have added the 7th territory the numbers will be at or around $500m
    Last edited by luprki; 06-11-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Mighty Member

But you just proved me right. These numbers is closer to $500m the they are to $250m with only 6 territories, if you would have added the 7th territory the numbers will be at or around $500m
    His numbers show that the franchise has been in decline in all of those markets. Debatable in a couple but clear in the others straight decline.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I believe the fast and the furious 9 would have made over a billion by now or be nearing that in the international market in a 3 week span but I don't think F9 may even cross 500m-700m because COVID is still a serious problem in some countries.

I do think there would be a pause and a big special celebration in the film industry when we get the first film to make over a billion dollars after COVID is no longer an issue.

it's strange because coming into the 2000-2010, a film making a billion was a big deal then it became meaningless in the mid to late 2010s, now Hollywood is begging for it again in 2021 because COVID really hurt the industry.
    This is just silly, you always claim to be this big expert on film but this is just plain incorrect as billion dollar films are still pretty darn rare with less than 50 films ever crossing the billion dollar mark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    His numbers show that the franchise has been in decline in all of those markets. Debatable in a couple but clear in the others straight decline.
    Not really, he’s comparing 6 territories to 7 territories. He also showing the franchise made money in only 6 territories than F9 made in 7 territories. That is a dramatic drop

Too bad you didn't say close to 500 million, you clearly said at least 500 million.

And it's ridiculous that you now are implying that the former installment would have made 60 million USD in Saudi-Arabia back then and thus bridged the gap to 500 million USD when F9 made less than 7 million in that market. Even if we were generous and said the former installment would have made twice as much than F9 in Saudi-Arabia it still wouldn't be close to your 500 million mark.

Not really, he’s comparing 6 territories to 7 territories. He also showing the franchise made money in only 6 territories than F9 made in 7 territories. That is a dramatic drop
    The drop is mostly due to China and I have already explained to you that the drop in China doesn't have anything to do with struggling theaters because Chinese box office is thriving this year, so the drop is mostly due to F9's bad quality and that franchise's decline in general. Guess what, a movie's bad quality can result in a disappointing box office, even in 2001...
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 06-11-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

You can’t just count less territories and say see I’m right and you’re wrong, it doesn’t work that way.
    But what you’re not considering something very important, ticket prices. 2021 ticket prices are much higher than it was in 2017, so F9 should have already cleared the $500m mark. At $250m with higher ticket prices is poor.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-11-2021 at 11:11 AM.

The one who was trying to make a point by comparing a result in 68 markets to one in 7 markets is now complaining about a user leaving one market as insignificant as Saudi-Arabia out of his comparison. This is getting beyond ridiculous now.