Page 146 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196246 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Retired

I think Warner's direction is up in the air until its merger with Discovery is completely settled and we see who is calling the shots.

All dc films moved! Flash runs away to next year and aquaman scared away by blue dances with smurfs to next year.

The Flash moves to 6/23/23.
    Aquaman 2 moves to 3/17/23.
    Shazam 2 moves to 12/16/22.
    Black Adam moves to 10/21/22.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Shazam2?src=hashtag_click

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    All dc films moved! Flash runs away to next year and aquaman scared away by blue dances with smurfs to next year.

The Flash moves to 6/23/23.
    Aquaman 2 moves to 3/17/23.
    Shazam 2 moves to 12/16/22.
    Black Adam moves to 10/21/22.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Shazam2?src=hashtag_click
    Kind of a bummer after that trailer that hyped the 4 DC movies this year, but at least Black Adam and Shazam are on track for this year. I'm really surprised they moved Shazam up but I'm glad, really dug the first. I don't even know what's going on with Flash anymore, a 7 month delay seems rough. I understand Aquaman's delay though, I theorized they would do it, they were basically sending that movie to die against Avatar 2 releasing it on the same day, who knows how big that movie will be, but for the most successful property DC has going, better not to risk it. Putting Shazam in it's place though, that's also ballsy, but I guess the pressure isn't as high as with Aquaman.
    Last edited by GSman; 03-10-2022 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    they were basically sending that movie to die against Avatar 2 releasing it on the same day
    I highly doubt Avatar is going to do amazing numbers. It's been way too long since the first, and the first hasn't even held up that well to begin with. Not to mention the entire gimmick of the first one (3D) isn't even really a thing anymore. It'll have a decent first weekend, maybe do well overseas, but it won't have legs.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I highly doubt Avatar is going to do amazing numbers. It's been way too long since the first, and the first hasn't even held up that well to begin with. Not to mention the entire gimmick of the first one (3D) isn't even really a thing anymore. It'll have a decent first weekend, maybe do well overseas, but it won't have legs.
    I can definitely see the logic there, and you're more likely to be right than wrong, but it is James Cameron, and doubting that man isn't always the safest bet with his track record. I doubt it'll ever reach the success of the first at all, that seems to be a feat reserved for the likes of Avengers and Spider-Man films, but can see it doing well though. The general interest it'll have after 13 years though is a serious question mark, I think the trailer and the amount of attention that it gets will be a good gauge.

I'm personally keen on it, just because it's a James Cameron sequel, I know the first one gets a rep as pocahontas in space(which it basically was) But it was something written in the early 90s, so I think having a decade to think up on the plot and tinker with it, we'll get something that feels newer and void of that early 90s writing. Also the technological advancements that Cameron's known for, it's kind of exciting to see something new in movies that hasn't been done before, but that might just be me.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think Warner's direction is up in the air until its merger with Discovery is completely settled and we see who is calling the shots.
    Given that they have a hit with THE BATMAN, Warner might want to stay with that poker hand rather than taking other cards and possibly having a losing hand just as the new boss is coming to the table.

Pushing everything clears the way for now. And SUPER PETS, if it tanks, is not so big a movie that it's going to make Warner look incompetent--it's not a live action JUSTICE LEAGUE. The really unpredictable pic, THE FLASH, is pushed so far into the future that it can't taint the Discovery deal. And it's sitting out there in the distance for any course correction they want to make.

I also imagine that, with the pandemic, post-production effects are backed up and they might want to give themselves more time to get these movies right.

The first SHAZAM! movie seemed written to be a Christmas movie--I think it would have been better off it had been released around that time. I don't know if that's the case with the second movie, but maybe they want it to follow close on the heels of BLACK ADAM.

Anyway, with so many movies having been rescheduled in the last couple of years, this is not that surprising.

With the delays now shazam 2 must fight avatar 2 and aquaman 2 must now fight haunted mansion and flash must now fight Indiana jones 5 and a marvel sony film back-to-back. In fact flash comes out same day as the marvel spider-verse spin-off film now! In fact transformers beast wars/ bumblebee 2 film rise of the beasts is two weeks before flash! Flash must fight indy 5, marvel and transformers! Good luck DC!

Aquaman 2 is the safest unless we get another jungle cruise surprise with mansion but the others may be in big trouble!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 03-12-2022 at 06:32 AM.

Retired

Hey Gaastra, calm down. Don't blow a gasket--it's just movies. There are much worse things in life to worry about.

It's the box office thread. We talk about box office. Not "'blow a gasket" but talking about how we now have two comic multiverse films on the same day from marvel and dc and how it effects the box office of both films.

Retired

It's the box office thread. We talk about box office. Not "'blow a gasket" but talking about how we now have two comic multiverse films on the same day from marvel and dc and how it effects the box office of both films.
    I see exclamation points. That looks like shouting to me.

Really??? Thought shouting was all caps? Sorry if it sounded like that.

The Batman’ Powers To $238M+ US Cume By Sunday; Pic Already At $400M WW Today – Saturday Update
    Warner Bros.’ The Batman, as expected, is leading the weekend box office in what is expected to be a three-frame No. 1 streak with a very healthy hold of -51% and $66M, on its way to $238.5M by Sunday. Already, the Matt Reeves directed movie is over $400M WW. Yesterday clocked $18.7M, -47% from last Friday (-67% if you compare against pic’s first Friday+previews).

That hold beats that previous DC movies’ second weekend declines of Batman v. Superman (-69%), and Dark Knight Rises (-61%), Justice League (-56%) and The Dark Knight (-53%).

RelishMix noticed the post-social chatter on the DC movie, reporting that it “runs positive as doubts are extinguished with cast choices applauded for Robert Pattinson’s performance as an all-time best Batman performance, while fans continue to adore Nirvana’s music in the film, which was inspiration for Matt Reeves as he was writing the film.” YouTube videos popped most on social digital, adding 20.6M views for studio-owned and earned materials over the week. Official social pages for the film added 282K new fans, notably on Instagram, with Twitter and Facebook pages now totaling 1.3M for The Batman.
    Note, if Disney had kept Pixar’s Turning Red in theaters this weekend, that could have possibly delivered $20M-$30M+, at least providing a depth of dollars for exhibitors this weekend. True, you can argue that the studio didn’t know how long omicron would linger, but we got Sing 2 still hanging around in the top 10 of the box office 12 weekends after its release, with $1.55M. C’mon, Disney, you know families are heading out to the theater.

Here’s another interesting takeaway with Turning Red: I’ve been told that when Netflix launches a show or movie (outside their major awards season fare), they spend a very thrifty amount of money, relying squarely on their subscriber menu to launch a title.

But in the case of Disney with Turning Red, they’ve shelled out for the pic like it was a major theatrical release. Why? Likely the marketing money was already there and accounted for, but also they’re eager for the Disney+ subscribers. The bombardment of Turning Red ads on social media is arguably on par with what Lionsgate was pushing for Moonfall (and that studio did, in fact, push that movie).

iSpot shows that Disney spent $23M for US TV spots. That’s as much as they spent for Black Widow, and more than Jungle Cruise ($19.5M), Cruella ($12.6M), and what Netflix spent on Red Notice ads ($3.3M), that streamer’s most-watched movie ever.

Disney ran spots during the Winter Olympics, Big City Greens, Miraculous -Tale of Ladybug & Cat Noir, The Bachelor and Good Morning America. iSpot reports that Turning Red‘s trailer was the 16th-most-seen spot on all of TV since Feb. 21. Why didn’t Disney keep this movie in theaters? Again, they need the subscribers over at Disney+, given the billions they’re spending on streaming programming, which isn’t coming down the pipeline as fast as it needs to be.

All-in, total weekend tickets sales stand at $95M, -43% from last weekend, and 55% off from the same weekend in 2019. That was when Disney had Captain Marvel, which boomed all tickets sales for that weekend to north of $210M.

https://deadline.com/2022/03/the-bat...ce-1234976639/

Also batman has beat batman begins with $400m ww.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=4ed97fdd6a43

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I see exclamation points. That looks like shouting to me.
    Exclamation points aren't shouting. ALL CAPS or bold is shouting. Exclamation points are more emphasizing a point, showing excitement, that sort of thing.

I should know, I play a hyperactive bard on a dnd discord server who uses ! all the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Exclamation points aren't shouting. ALL CAPS or bold is shouting. Exclamation points are more emphasizing a point, showing excitement, that sort of thing.

I should know, I play a hyperactive bard on a dnd discord server who uses ! all the time.
    I use bold at times to express a very important point that I dont think should be so easily dismissed. Never has it crossed my mind someone out there interprets it as shouting.

This is good news. I was worried about if the movie will have legs due to the 3 hours time and the style of the movie been different from the very action packed fast paced marvel films that make so much money, however the batman should at least do between 350-400m domestic usa. those will be great numbers in a post recovery covid era.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

That sounds pretty amazing.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!