Page 157 of 420 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207257 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I think it was too ambitious for its own good plus the like of China for any sequels makes it too much of a gamble.
    It needed a further edit. 2hrs and 40 minutes was too much. 30 minutes shorter and $50 million less and it might have faired better.

Strange passes $500m ww.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/do.../1100-6503437/

Good old lex opened his mouth again and said he didn't need china. This ticked off disney fans who live in china.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202205/1265553.shtml

"Why didn't you say so when you were making money in China," wrote a user on Sina Weibo.

"If they had said so I shall grant their wish by not watching Disney films any longer. Let's wait and see who is the final loser," said another netizen.
    This could hurt disney films getting a china release like avatar 2! Good job lex. You did it again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Strange passes $500m ww.

Good old lex opened his mouth again and said he didn't need china. This ticked off disney fans who live in china.

This could hurt disney films getting a china release like avatar 2! Good job lex. You did it again.
    Should folks be glad the ceo said that.
    Remember there are folks who says no films made in america and elsewhere should not be release in china anyway because of china's human rights record etc..
    They said themselves no need for china or no need for china anymore.

China started it first.
    What blockbuster? China spurns Hollywood's advances
    Regulators freeze out U.S. blockbusters as Chinese audiences become harder to woo
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Bus...ood-s-advances
    Last edited by mace11; 05-13-2022 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Remember there are folks who says no films made in america and elsewehere should not be release in china anyway because of china's human rights record etc..
    Double negatives.

But since when Americans give a **** about things like that where money is concerned?

Incredible Member

Strange passes $500m ww.

Imagine getting upset with Disney because they aren’t allowed to release movies there. If Chinese fans want to get angry at someone it should be their own government first and foremost. It’s past time companies stop pandering to the inconsistent whims of the Chinese gov.

Astonishing Member

I mean the only ones at fault for China rejecting movies is China. They just keep making things up on what a movie can have. They wanted the statue of liberty out of No way home. Come on. At some point there is nothing western films can do to make them happy. Im glad this nonsense is ending.

Astonishing Member

Looks like Doctor Strange has brought in 551 million going into weekend. Be interesting to see where its at after Sunday.

Ultimate Member

Strange passes $500m ww.

But their CEO is 100% correct in saying this. It's becoming very clear that the Chinese government is disqualifying movies for increasingly silly and I dare say patently absurd reasons.

China didn't allow the release of NWH because the "Statute of Liberty" is a major feature of the movie or something.

The Chinese audience should direct their anger at their government. Getting angry at Disney isn't going to solve their government's stupidly ridiculous censorship.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-13-2022 at 09:28 AM.

True but this was a answer to a stockholder wanting to know what he plans to do to put disney films back in china. I don't care as i'm not making money off of it but it sounds like the stockholders are not happy.

I'm not a big wig in disney so don't care but this is the box office thread and this could effect future disney films ww box office. The avatar 2 trailer broke record views and the biggest chunck of it was confirmed fans in china!

The disney heads want avatar 2 in china. Bob may have just screwed that. Or it could end up nothing at all.

Astonishing Member

True but this was a answer to a stockholder wanting to know what he plans to do to put disney films back in china. I don't care as i'm not making money off of it but it sounds like the stockholders are not happy.

I'm not a big wig in disney so don't care but this is the box office thread and this could effect future disney films ww box office. The avatar 2 trailer broke record views and the biggest chunck of it was confirmed fans in china!

The disney heads want avatar 2 in china. Bob may have just screwed that. Or it could end up nothing at all.
    The problem is that Disney doesnt know what China will accept in a movie because it changes all the time. You can't operate in these parameters. Its impossible to do business wise.

Astonishing Member

China has been trying to decrease overall Western cultural influence in the mainland for the last few years. There is little to no action anyone at Disney could take to change this. Even the stockholders know and understand this. Criticizing Chapek for his honest answer isn't something that should get a kneejerk complaint. Especially when John Cena was widely mocked for the statements he made to ensure Chinese distribution of the last Fast and Furious movie.

Firestarter remake fizzles. Day and date only added to it's death.

Bad guy now vod should hurt it's box office as well.

Dr strange passes $700m ww.

Marvel Studios and Disney’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, is still going strong in its second weekend of play at the box office.

Directed by Sam Raimi, the sequel grossed $16.7 million domestically from 4,534 theaters on Friday for a North American tally of $247.6 million, and more than $550 million globally. By Sunday, the superhero pic will be on the brink of crossing $700 million globally — a feat achieved by only a few titles during the pandemic era — including $300 million domestically.

Doctor Strange 2 will easily stay atop the chart with a weekend gross in the $60 million-$65 million range as new offering Firestarter — based on the Stephen King tale — flames out. The Universal and Blumhouse pic earned $1.5 million from 3,412 cinemas on Friday for a projected $3.6 million domestic opening.

Firestarter is debuting day and date on Universal Pictures’ sister streaming service Peacock, making box office comparisons difficult. Poor reviews and a C- CinemaScore certainly aren’t helping.

Starring Zac Efron, Firestarter looks to come in No. 4 for the weekend behind Doctor Strange 2 and a pair of family films, The Bad Guys and Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

A24’s indie hit Everything Everywhere All at Once is expected to round out the top five with $3.1 million from 1,726 cinemas.

Also at the specialty box office, Roadside Attractions is opening the faith-based comedy Family Camp in 854 locations. The movie is on course for a $1.6 million debut.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...er-1235146849/

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

With inflation, people are being more selective about where they spend. I imagine that’ll impact movies, too, considering the cost and premiums being added to top movies. And I can see how films like Firestarter would not be worthy or DS2 might not get a second theater viewing like it might’ve in the past.

Astonishing Member

Good for Lex. The Communist party is tired of hollywood films taking up a lot of box office receipts. I feel bad for the Chinese people who just want to be able to choose between Foreign films and their own domestic movies. Blame the CCP.

I saw Firestarter on Peacock. The Drew Barrymore version from forty years ago had better production values.