Page 262 of 420 FirstFirst ... 162212252258259260261262263264265266272312362 ... LastLast
Results 3,916 to 3,930 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    That's false. Marvel Studios did all the actual work.

Also I'm not sure Alonso was let go. She's been with the company since 2005 and with Feige since the Daredevil films. I doubt she was let go due to just 3 or 4 productions not doing as well as hoped.
    Well, that's not true because Sony funded the movie.

And Alonso may have left for other reasons. But it's been reported that everyone at Disney is reevaluating the MCU after the less-than-ideal response to Phase 4 and now Phase 5.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    I do believe Quantumania's being somewhat scapegoated, though, and it's performance is actually the culminative effect of a problematic Phase 4.

Iger has said that even selling Hulu is on the table, and rumor has it, may be used as a bargaining chip re. full rights to the likes of Hulk & Namor.
    Why do you think that?

Quantamania got shellacked critically and its cinema score wasn't great. I think the first to second-week drop speaks for itself.

I mean, the movie opened up with over $ 100 million, if it had been better, it would have done better.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Why do you think that?

Quantamania got shellacked critically and its cinema score wasn't great. I think the first to second-week drop speaks for itself.

I mean, the movie opened up with over $ 100 million, if it had been better, it would have done better.
    It also set up the next "Thanos" for the MCU. While I love Kang and think Jonathan Majors was awesome in AM3, I wonder if Marvel may be having second thoughts in continuing that direction.

Also, just want to point out that the CBR gods agree with me. This is from an article they published today;

There's a growing sentiment among viewers, especially more casual audiences, that the Marvel Cinematic Universe truly ended with Avengers: Endgame. Exceptions to this rule include the "epilogues" Spider-Man: Far From Home and Spider-Man: No Way Home, though Spider-Man's popularity actually eclipses that of the Avengers and the MCU. Since then, the movies, while mostly still successful, have seen a downward trend in both box office revenue and their reception. Notable examples include the failure of Eternals and the controversial disappointment Thor: Love and Thunder. From writing and comedy to particularly poor special effects in Marvel's new films, things aren't quite as beloved in the MCU as they once were. The shows haven't helped this, with only WandaVision and perhaps Loki really garnering the expected viewership and pop culture satiation. As mentioned, Ms. Marvel didn't have the highest viewership, with the more youth-oriented series barely being spoken about outside the more passionate Marvel fan circles.
    Source; https://www.cbr.com/mcu-disney-plus-series-bad/
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Also, just want to point out that the CBR gods agree with me. This is from an article they published today;

Source; https://www.cbr.com/mcu-disney-plus-series-bad/
    It's actually funny to me, up until I posted in this thread, I just assumed people knew this was a problem. It didn't occur to me that there would be people saying Phase 4 and 5 have been just as good or better than other phases.

BANNED

That's false. Marvel Studios did all the actual work.

Also I'm not sure Alonso was let go. She's been with the company since 2005 and with Feige since the Daredevil films. I doubt she was let go due to just 3 or 4 productions not doing as well as hoped.
    Is that Sony's official stance?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Wow shocker indeed. Although it's not that uncommon for someone to leave a company after working there for 17 years, especially in a highly stressful role like Alonso had, it's hard not to connect Marvel's recent misfortunes with all things VFX with her exit. More gossip to come on this, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    You're forgetting Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye, and Moon Knight. All those shows are up in the air in terms of a 2nd season.
    But what they did do is bring new characters into the shared universe and further stories along. Again, not everything is set to run for years and years...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Why do you think that?

As has been said, fatigue, BUT... from eXpectations not being met. Or more aptly put, quality > quantity, just like both Iger & Feige have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Homie, your last quote says, "The company continues to expect Disney+ to hit profitability in fiscal year 2024." Meaning it isn't profitable now.
    Then everything ever created for a Streaming Network (outside of Netflix) has been a flop...

Well, that's not true because Sony funded the movie.

And Alonso may have left for other reasons. But it's been reported that everyone at Disney is reevaluating the MCU after the less-than-ideal response to Phase 4 and now Phase 5.
    It is true when we're talking quality. Some people claim it's a "Sony film" to discredit it as an MCU/Marvel Studios success.

Reevaluating is good, imo. But I also think some are mistaking higher expectations with lower quality or fatigue. End of the day, this is ALL speculation tinged with personal bias, though.

It is true when we're talking quality. Some people claim it's a "Sony film" to discredit it as an MCU/Marvel Studios success.

Reevaluating is good, imo. But I also think some are mistaking higher expectations with lower quality or fatigue. End of the day, this is ALL speculation tinged with personal bias, though.
    For what it's worth, I consider NWH to be a MCU film. But to say Marvel did all the work I think is inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Is that Sony's official stance?
    Actually, yes it is. They gave all the credit to Marvel Studios and Feige.

For what it's worth, I consider NWH to be a MCU film. But to say Marvel did all the work I think is inaccurate.
    It's really not. There was an interview with Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal, where she credits Marvel Studios for doing the actual making of the movie. It's one of the reasons Marvel now gets a higher percentage of the profits.
    Last edited by 80sbaby; 03-20-2023 at 04:21 PM.

BANNED

Actually, yes it is. They gave all the credit to Marvel Studios and Feige.
    Not saying you're wrong, but... citation?

It's really not. There was an interview with Kevin Feige and one of the Sony execs (who's name escapes me) where she credits Marvel Studios for doing the actual making of the movie. It's one of the reasons Marvel now gets a higher percentage of the profits.
    IDK, that sounds more like an anecdotal outlier to me. I mean, break it down, what parts did each studio play in the actual making of the movie?

BANNED

Well, that is how opinions work, including yours. They are subjective, after all.

Quantumania cost a lot more than the 2015 OG to produce & market, but still has yet to match its BO take WITHOUT... adjusting for (Pandemic) inflation. The OG also had a 3.15 multiplier, while Q, if it makes it to a 2... will do so crawling there, battered, beaten, & broken.