Page 190 of 420 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240290 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Incredible Member

“MCU scale of measurement”

What is that and how does it work?

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    “MCU scale of measurement”

What is that and how does it work?
    Very simply and objectively: you compare and contrast it with other MCU movies. There’s been 29 films so far. How does it compare within its own series? How does it compare to other sequels within the MCU? What is the average box office take for an MCU film?, Etc.

It’s literally that simple and inoffensive.

Smile is looking to smile at $19m this weekend.

Bros on the other hand crashes with only $4.8 m!

Don't worry darling heading for another $7.4 m.

Woman king heading for another $6.2 m.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ie-1235230764/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Smile is looking to smile at $19m this weekend.

Bros on the other hand crashes with only $4.8 m!

Don't worry darling heading for another $7.4 m.

Woman king heading for another $6.2 m.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ie-1235230764/
    I loved Smile, it gave me It Follows and Truth or Dare vibes.

And because they're both from Paramount my theater showed the Dungeons and Dragons trailer before it. I've never touched anything D&D but that trailer seriously rocked and I'll watch it.

Smile box office made the studio smile as the $19m film overperformed to $22m.

Bros bombed bad at $4.8m.

Deadline does say this about this week--

till, let’s give it up for the major studios committing to the big screen at this point in time: If you think about it — Woman King, Bros, Don’t Worry Darling, Smile — these are all very original movies, and extremely ambitious. See anyone of them and you’ll agree, they deserve a theatrical treatment and that will carry their legacy through in home ancillaries.
    https://deadline.com/2022/10/box-off...es-1235131625/

Predictions for black Adom are out also. They are expecting a good opening of $55m to $70m! Bad news is they are also prediction it will drop off the week after. Expected to beat shazam but not beat batman.

Cinelytic sees a likely $328 million domestic haul for Black Adam -- that's about twice what Shazam! made in the U.S., but about $40 million less than The Batman made. That's likely a testament to the appeal of Dwayne Johnson, since most casual audiences don't know who Black Adam is. The real question will be how happy Warner Bros. Discovery will be with a DC Universe movie that doesn't blow Black Panther 2 out of the water.
    Better news for avatar 2--

According to Variety's report, Cinelytic predicts that Avatar: The Way of Water will earn around $650 million at the box office -- that's short of Top Gun: Maverick's $700 million (let alone the first Avatar's record-setting $772 million), but still impressive, and they're expecting that it will roughly double that revenue by matching it with DVD, streaming, and TV revenue in the next few years.

After 13 years of anticipation, the Avatar sequel is going to be one of the most successful movies ever to have that long between installments -- very much like Maverick itself.
    And for bp2--

For the Marvel side of things, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is expected to take in $423 million. That's slightly more than Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness earned, and presumably makes this the most likely candidate to create a $1 billion superhero movie this year. It is still expected to underperform relative to Black Panther, but that movie was a massive critical and commercial success, and so the odds of the next one surpassing it was...well, let's ask Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 or Thor: Love and Thunder, shall we?
    https://comicbook.com/movies/news/av...e-projections/

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Batman has had ....how many movies and franchise the last 60+ years. How many cartoons , movies etc did Black Adam have ?

Yeah the idea it has to beat Batman is insane right now. Black Adam is getting his 1st film...ever.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Animated film luck is in theatres AFTER it's streaming release this weekend. Not sure how well it's doing as the only ad i saw for its theatre release is a main event cross promotion ad!

You need to let people know your films in theatres studios!

Sorry wrong thread.
    Last edited by Witchfan; 10-03-2022 at 09:42 AM.

Wrong topic??

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Batman has had ....how many movies and franchise the last 60+ years. How many cartoons , movies etc did Black Adam have ?

Yeah the idea it has to beat Batman is insane right now. Black Adam is getting his 1st film...ever.
    People in the know or with a good head on shoulders treat it as a Rock movie first and a superhero movie second. Personally I expect Black Adam will do well because the trailers make me think it could be the best of both worlds (for the latter a good enough Justice Society debut and the best possible Suicide Squad connection, Viola Davis not phoning it in).

By the way about Smile's success, I didn't know Kevin Bacon's daughter was in the industry now (I only started getting back into movies big somewhat recently), but that bit of trivia made me appreciate Smile a little more since the movie is so much about her.

Think black Adam will open great thanks to the rock and lack of films out but not those awful trailers. They told none of the plot, a second shot of the nameless bad guy in the third trailer, emo whiny "i hate the world so i'm mad" "hero" that feels like gorr from thor or shadow from sonic, and non comic fans don't even know who the jsa or dr fate are. Hawkman is the most known thanks to superfriends.

Heck trailer doesn't even tell you this is a shazam spin-off. (Film that didn't set the box office on fire as well)

Trailers have been "average".

So, it's up to the rock to carry this film!

Astonishing Member

Since we're getting into spooky season and 3 out the last 4 #1 debuts were horror movies (Don't Worry Darling was sold more as an erotic mystery but I thought it's scary enough) I thought of sharing some cool trivia I found.

Lionsgate's massive fear of heights movie Fall from August seemed to come and go at the time even if it has future cult favorite written all over it, but it actually made $15 million worldwide. Doesn't sound like much but apparently its budget was a whooping $3 million only (yay mostly single location filming) so it should be a hit. It actually edged A24/Ti West's movie X from earlier this year as well as X's prequel Pearl so far, and it seemed to me, at least online, that X and Pearl were way more notorious (now to be fair to those movies, I assume their budgets were very small too).

Wonder how well the mario movie will do next year?
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-04-2022 at 06:55 PM.

While the black adam trailers has been average-the rock is still the rock and he has been promoting the far out of this film.

That may have paid off as the expected $50m has raised to $70m to $75m! That would make it one of rocks best non animated or fatf openings!

The rock still has it when it comes to promoting films it looks like!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ng-1235233203/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Wonder how well the mario movie will do next year?
    Illumination is a money printing machine. Just taking a glance at the likes of Hop and The Lorax makes me think the new Mario would have to be unwatchably bad to fail and even then unless the studio inflates the budget like crazy (which I don't think has been a thing for Illumination so far) it will at least break even.

If everything goes right it could really become the biggest videogame movie worldwide and spawn a franchise like Sonic did.

I'd like to support it for Anya Taylor-Joy (I don't mind Chris Pratt one way or another) and the former gamer in me would appreciate Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario 64 influences.