Page 218 of 420 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228268318 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Ultimate Member

My understanding is that Avatar 2 is blowing up big in India.

That should help it get to a billion WW by year end.

How much more it makes over that, I'm not really sure. The box office is still acting a little strange post-pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Upcoming snowstorm should hurt avatar and puss and boots, Babylon and want to dance at the box office coming up.

Speaking of avatar 2 it has passed $500m globally.
    I don’t think the Elliott snowstorm will hurt the movie or any movies much. With all the canceled flights, it might even drive up the box office gross. A lot of places where the worst snow will hit are places that are as prepared as ever for winter. It’s not going to deter people in the Midwest or East Coast from going out to the movies.
    Last edited by Brian B; 12-22-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Weekend isn't gonna be good the storm is hitting hard

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Weekend isn't gonna be good the storm is hitting hard
    The weather is really, really bad out there. It's been -30 degrees for days now with wind chills of -40 degrees and below.

The temperature has gone up but the snow is pouring here. It's a legit storm.

I don't know about the US but a good chunk of Canada isn't going to do much moving about this weekend.

A lot of people are off next week, they will just go then instead of this weekend. I see Avatar as a slow and steady hit.

One thing i wonder about, will the 3 hour length affect the B.O.? Between less showings per day
    and maybe people not wanting to sit that long?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

We were at 5 degrees early this morning and now at 14. We are in the deep south where it can get 100 in summer! This is rare for us. I know people who were planning to do stuff today but is staying home due to the weather. News says many places up north has power outs. It will affect it some in places and not much in others.

Yeah while the weekend BO will likely be lowered by the impact of this storm, kids are out on vacation so likely the weekday BO will be up for the next week or so.

Sounds like COVID really impacted the ability of Avatar 2 to make a splash in China

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Haven't really kept up much with the Box Office in the past few years, but any company's stock (briefly, but still) dropping over a $435m global opening feels surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    A lot of people are off next week, they will just go then instead of this weekend. I see Avatar as a slow and steady hit.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    One thing i wonder about, will the 3 hour length affect the B.O.? Between less showings per day
    and maybe people not wanting to sit that long?
    Endgame was 3 hours. Expected/hoped numbers would probably be in the same ballpark, wouldn't they? From what I've read, Disney was banking on this movie to basically save their fiscal year.

Astonishing Member

I don't see the running time making a big difference in the end. The movie doesn't really drag IMO and at least in my city my theater currently gave Avatar screens from the morning to the evening. I saw a car on opening weekend struggling to find a parking spot because the place was packed, and who knows but odds are they were going to watch Avatar.

Ultimate Member

It's going to hit a billion sometime this week and should finish around $1.5-$1.6bn globally. It's not doing so great thus far in the US particularly this weekend with the bad weather this weekend (and very terribly in China because of the pandemic) but a movie grossing over a billion WW is still very impressive.

I noticed the "right-wing" reactionaries are spinning it as a failure because "DiSnEy iS tRanSiNg the KIdS aNd Is WOkE". However, the movie isn't really failing.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-25-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Ultimate Member

BP2 has crossed $800m WW.

The MCU alone has generated around $2.5bn this year alone (and that's not counting Spider-man: No Way Home). The Batman grossed around $778m and would have done more without the short release window. That's superhero movies generating over $3bn.

And yet some people are still saying superhero movie fatigue is a thing. It's one thing to have an opinion but it's a completely different thing to argue against actual numbers- dollars and cents.

Weather crushed the box office.

“This opening has been all but knocked out by extreme weather,” Gross adds. “With schools on holiday, the movie can recover some of its business next week.”
    https://variety.com/2022/film/news/b...as-1235472702/

Astonishing Member

Maybe in the parts of the states. But Avatar 2 is at 855 million worldwide already. Thats crazy money.

Astonishing Member

Violent Night has already passed Krampus worldwide as the top weirdo Christmas box office hit of recent years, not adjusted for inflation but considering I don't think Krampus faced terrible weather or pandemic/economic issues. I'd expect Violent Night to get a sequel just like Nobody (from the same studio and related creatives) did way back when the pandemic was in full force.

For that matter Searchlight Pictures' The Menu has $66 million worldwide on a $30 million budget. That might not make it a hit now, and might or not mean it will profit down the line, but considering it was worried to be a flop initially, at the very least it's not going to be a bomb especially compared to other original movies out this year. I mostly bring The Menu up because the staying power it had for weeks seems like a good enough preface to what should be a bang-up year for Anya Taylor-Joy next year. I assume her Princess Peach role in Super Mario Bros. will be her biggest box office performance hands down. And I hope Furiosa delivers next.