Page 242 of 420 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252292342 ... LastLast
Results 3,616 to 3,630 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    If the Deadline estimate holds, the negatively reviewed Quantumania will have a worst second Friday box office drop than Batman V Superman, and we know how that story went. I don't really wish Marvel ill since they're really diversifying a bunch right now now, but damn.
    Adversity can help improve yourself Feige is now bring tested by failure.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    Now that MCU is in the same place as some of those bad fox and sony films while never also never having the artistic driven resume of some of the good sony and fox films puts their movies and their fans in a very difficult position.
    Proof of the low level compared to MCU? I have yet to see any evidence on film? Objectively speaking low level quality products are mostly caused by high turn mass manufactured products and products with little artistic risk. this is one of the reason MCU quality has dropped so bad. they released about 17 project for phase 4 and that hurt their over quality that has already be going down once disney took over and started messing with the way MCU films were meant to look.

I fondly remember some VFX moments in X-Men united that took fox 3 years to just work one 1 product that the director took time to create. It still has VFX quality superior to all the MCU films. This movie is exactly 20 years and it has a superior quality to the current Ant-Man 3 in every area of film and I say this in a constructive criticism of the entire comic book films of now and the past. The comic book genre is dying because we have less X-Men 2 (director/screen writer- film) kind of films and more Ant-Man 3 ( common disney product) in the genre.
    I disagree.

I feel this is why some of them get over- defensive when people say MCU is dying since DC or Sony comic book films can only partially die off because they have diversity of films unlike MCU- everything about the disney own rights of marvel is all tied up in the MCU.

The mcu does have a diversity films.
    Wakanda forever is not thor 4,thor 4 is not eternals etc..
    Last edited by mace11; 02-24-2023 at 08:35 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Box office pro drops its movie projections.

Poor demon slayer only expecting $11m. Maybe you should put ads out for it sony?

Shazam 2 expected to make less than the first with $25m to $45m.

Creed 3 $29m to $36m.

Operation fortune 2,000,000+

65- $18m to $35m.

Scream $32m to $45m

John wick 4 $44m to $53m.

Champions (marvel you let someone else beat you to the name) $4m to $9m

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-ra...-gods-updates/

No D&D yet? From these films, john wick is the big expected to make money film.
    These numbers look really cool to me if true. John Wick 4 doing ok/great should have been expected. But the numbers also tell me 65 will not outright bomb on debut (for original movies in general, not checking yet what that budget is), the Scream franchise is completely resurrected, and Creed will still kick ass.

Shazam Fury of the Gods is a much more complicated story, I want to watch it first.

Demon Slayer should be fine.

Extraordinary Member

Sony Spiderman films Spiderman 1, 2, and Into Spider verse are more critically acclaimed and made more money for Sony than the MCU films. Sam Raimi movies are also well beloved and well respected in the comic genre.
    Since you bringing up critically acclaimed/rt scores.

There are some mcu films more critically acclaimed(have higher rt critic scores)then spiderman 1 and 2.
    The only one that you have correct is a sony marvel animated spiderman movie.

Note- Looking at audience rt scores some mcu films have higher scores then spiderman 1 and 2
    There are mcu films that have the same cinemascores as into the spider -verse.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    If your comparison is a once in a generation sequel to a movie about Ant-man you are making false comparisons. Its like comparing the Lion King to Puss and boots. I mean why would anyone do that?
    Yeah, Ant-Man movies should ONLY be compared to other Ant-Man movies when it comes to determining whether they are "successes" or not.

Astonishing Member

This is the thing that gets me. Shazam is going to absolute bomb into a disaster. Its going to be a disaster. But what everyone does with Marvel movies is they poke and they try and find some weakness. It doesn't have to be this.. And im not talking just about Shazam. Its every movie. John wick will be fine. But these are superhero movies people. They are not any different. But the standards you judge them sure as heck are.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    What exactly is your point? You seem more interested in having back and forths with MCU fans for no reason.

Ant-Man 3 quite clearly got worse reviews than the previous films, there’s nothing anyone can do about that. If it makes less than part 2, no one can do anything about that either, it is what it is. Marvel built up the goodwill from making well received films, the second that stops then they have to take a step back (which it looks like they’re doing) and re-assess. Marvel has had only what 2 or 3 poorly reviewed films? That’s a record of a studios that know what they are doing.

I don’t like seeing any movie fail from any studio but if they do, all they can do is go back and re-tool. Despite what the trolls on Twitter are saying, I have no problem with DC/WB rebuilding the entire DCU movie universe after the Snyderverse nonsense because that’s the logical thing to do.
    The point is this is a box office thread so if someone wants to discuss Quantamania's poor performance they should be able to without MCU fans attacking them and getting defensive. They're so used to the MCU getting gushing reviews and setting box office records that when the opposite happens they lash out. There are excuses galore for Ant-Man's low box office and flat out denial. Based off recent figures it'll be lucky to do $500m worldwide. That's over $120m less than the 2nd Ant-Man. That can't be spun as anything but bad.

Apart of the reason some people may take glee at the idea of the MCU losing popularity is the more hardcore fans, the ones who made "MCU" their entire personality. They aren't as bad as the most extreme Snyder Cultists but they can be very obnoxious nonetheless. For over a decade they **** on DC whenever they got the chance and loved rubbing it on how Marvel got a talking tree and raccoon famous while DC struggled with Batman and Superman. How DC tried and failed to copy Marvel's success. When your vocal fanbase talks all that kind of **** don't be surprised when opposing fans take the 1st opportunity possible to give some of that **** back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I disagree.

You are entitled to disagree though the lack of disagreement without any proof holds no merit to my words. There are comic films of the 2000s with better VFX and story lines than MCU movies right now that were achieving box office success.

diversity of movies are The Joker, The Batman, Black Adam. These 3 film series take place in their own separate world. the failures, success, issues, problems, triumphs are not dependent on each other.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    The point is this is a box office thread so if someone wants to discuss Quantamania's poor performance they should be able to without MCU fans attacking them and getting defensive. They're so used to the MCU getting gushing reviews and setting box office records that when the opposite happens they lash out. There are excuses galore for Ant-Man's low box office and flat out denial. Based off recent figures it'll be lucky to do $500m worldwide. That's over $120m less than the 2nd Ant-Man. That can't be spun as anything but bad.

Apart of the reason some people may take glee at the idea of the MCU losing popularity is the more hardcore fans, the ones who made "MCU" their entire personality. They aren't as bad as the most extreme Snyder Cultists but they can be very obnoxious nonetheless. For over a decade they **** on DC whenever they got the chance and loved rubbing it on how Marvel got a talking tree and raccoon famous while DC struggled with Batman and Superman. How DC tried and failed to copy Marvel's success. When your vocal fanbase talks all that kind of **** don't be surprised when opposing fans take the 1st opportunity possible to give some of that **** back.
    Well finally someone just comes right out and admits it. The honesty is rather refreshing. Whenever anything is so popular for so long a misguided backlash is almost inevitable. I know this backlash all too well from decades of being a Batman fan.

As Batman’s popularity grew so did the voices of his critics. I get it. Some fans took the whole prep time thing too far and there was pushback against the “Batgod “. A shame really how a small but vocal part of a fan base can turn people against a character that they didn’t originally hate before and probably even enjoyed.

I see the same thing going on with the MCU. The hate isn’t for the MCU but for certain fans of the MCU. Unfortunately there is little to no distinction being made and all fans get painted with the same brush. It’s a vicious cycle that you see repeated again and again. Oh well. What can you do.
    Last edited by HollowSage; 02-25-2023 at 07:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

You are entitled to disagree though the lack of disagreement without any proof holds no merit to my words. There are comic films of the 2000s with better VFX and story lines than MCU movies right now that were achieving box office success.

diversity of movies are The Joker, The Batman, Black Adam. These 3 film series take place in their own separate world. the failures, success, issues, problems, triumphs are not dependent on each other.
    Both Joker and The Batman? Wow! What a time to live in that we get such varying movies. These movies span the complete range of a movie about a crime ridden city coming apart told from the POV of a villain and a movie about a crime ridden city coming apart told from the POV of a hero. That's literally every type of movie that can ever exist. YEAH DIVERSITY!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This last part negates just about anything else you were trying to say. If one were to stick simply to talking the box office numbers on Antman they wouldn't get the push back you're talking about, it's only when they get into the silly stuff like the second half of your post here that anyone gets any grief and its easy to see why.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Quantamania looks like it's heading to be the biggest drop for a Marvel film. Also Cocaine Bear apparently beat it yesterday. That's interesting. Marvel's been consistent for so long it's been hard to get a barometer on what their floor is. But it looks like poor critical reviews do matter after the frontloaded debut.

Well, MCU fans were correct in saying that in the past two years the pandemic and being denied access to certain countries DID play huge roles in reducing their box office totals. However, those factors no longer apply in 2023. Bad weather in North America aside, Avatar 2 performed just fine last year when we had that nasty winter storm in December. So that's not really an excuse either now. Ant-Man 3 just straight-up underperformed. But I definitely believe that people were so fed up with Phase Four's output that when they were disappointed AGAIN by Quantumania, they gave it even worse reviews than they otherwise would have. And let's be honest, this is NOT a Disney thing. There's a decent chance that Aquaman 2 and Shazam 2 suck BADLY. Same thing goes for that Kraven film too. I mean, Sony made Morbius and WB made Black Adam last year. And those movies were received terribly by audiences. Personally, I have some doubts about whether the new Flash movie will be as successful as a lot of people think it will be. Bad superhero movies are causing "superhero fatigue" in my opinion. To me, it's the CinemaScores that should be most worrying Marvel Studios. They've been REALLY bad in the past couple of years. Audiences are used to superhero "garbage" being peddled by Sony and WB. They expect more from Disney/Marvel. Moviegoers are liking MCU movies way less than they have in the past. That's become a huge issue for Disney and I hope execs at Marvel Studios figure out how to make future movies more "palatable" to average filmgoers.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 02-25-2023 at 09:35 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Both Joker and The Batman? Wow! What a time to live in that we get such varying movies. These movies span the complete range of a movie about a crime ridden city coming apart told from the POV of a villain and a movie about a crime ridden city coming apart told from the POV of a hero. That's literally every type of movie that can ever exist. YEAH DIVERSITY!
    Artistic diversity, separate worlds.

Can you show me a scene in the joker or the batman that shows both films are connected? Ant Man 3 is hounded for been just another set up movie to something bigger. You know MCU is in deep trouble when the set up for their X-Men or F4 is what is meant to hype people up than the actual film. This reflects badly on their future box office.
    Last edited by Fridays; 02-25-2023 at 09:30 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Quantamania looks like it's heading to be the biggest drop for a Marvel film. Also Cocaine Bear apparently beat it yesterday. That's interesting. Marvel's been consistent for so long it's been hard to get a barometer on what their floor is. But it looks like poor critical reviews do matter after the frontloaded debut.
    Not surprised, I excepted a big drop, I will not be surprised too if Avatar 2 stays in the top 10 longer in the coming weeks.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...153533858.html
    Last edited by Fridays; 02-25-2023 at 09:43 AM.