Page 104 of 420 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Its currently 7th domestically. Thats a flop now? I mean all you can do is compare it to whatever other movies were released this year.
    Based on the the cost vs. the Boxoffice I'm pretty sure most of the big movies that were released this year were flops.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Based on the the cost vs. the Boxoffice I'm pretty sure most of the big movies that were released this year were flops.

Yea. Probably true.

But I don't know these studios are bringing in money other ways now with streaming. They might be making more bank than ever technically and laughing.

Maybe flop or bomb are too strong of words. But a movie can fail financial, even being top in the B.O.
    The box office champ of 1963 brought down a movie studio because of its losses.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Maybe flop or bomb are too strong of words. But a movie can fail financial, even being top in the B.O.
    The box office champ of 1963 brought down a movie studio because of its losses.

Very true. But I think a bomb is worse than a flop right

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I mean look at dune. 165 million dollar budget, Around 100 million domestic. Eternals will at least equal its budget domestically. Dune won't even be close. But again its been said before, its really hard to judge things to any other time in history except maybe a world war. I honestly don't know what is making money. For cripes sake Cruella which is a really good movie made 86 million domestically. But they announced sequel. No one in their right mind thinks a movie like Cruella in normal times would make that little. But it was released at a really bad time in the pandemic the fact that it even made that much is sort of remarkable.

Eternals domestic budget was $200 million. Its now on its 3rd week and just earned $10+ million. With House of Gucci , Resident Evil and Encanto opening from Disney and the holdover of Ghostbusters.....Eternals is done domestically.

Its gonna be lucky to do $155-160+ million domestically at this stage. Its one of those films that will be winding down space wise.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Mighty Member

I mean look at dune. 165 million dollar budget, Around 100 million domestic. Eternals will at least equal its budget domestically. Dune won't even be close. But again its been said before, its really hard to judge things to any other time in history except maybe a world war. I honestly don't know what is making money. For cripes sake Cruella which is a really good movie made 86 million domestically. But they announced sequel. No one in their right mind thinks a movie like Cruella in normal times would make that little. But it was released at a really bad time in the pandemic the fact that it even made that much is sort of remarkable.
    Base on the numbers we have neither Dune nor Cruella were a huge financial success at the domestic box office when their sequels were announced, but as studios move towards streaming and are looking for franchises to build their catalog both these movies created enough interest for long term investment.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Eternals domestic budget was $200 million. Its now on its 3rd week and just earned $10+ million. With House of Gucci , Resident Evil and Encanto opening from Disney and the holdover of Ghostbusters.....Eternals is done domestically.

Its gonna be lucky to do $155-160+ million domestically at this stage. Its one of those films that will be winding down space wise.

Yea probably. But thanksgiving weekend will give it a boost. I think 160 is realistic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Base on the numbers we have neither Dune nor Cruella were a huge financial success at the domestic box office when their sequels were announced, but as studios move towards streaming and are looking for franchises to build their catalog both these movies created enough interest for long term investment.

Yea. If we ever get back to normal ( if ) I can see a sequel to Cruella being huge. Because of its exposure on Disney + and all the positive feedback.

I wonder if with movies like Dune or Cruella, Studios are looking down the road and thinking sequels of well received movies doing better than the originals when thing return to normal?

Inside beat me to it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

I wonder if with movies like Dune or Cruella, Studios are looking down the road and thinking sequels of well received movies doing better than the originals when thing return to normal?
    Yea they are most likely looking long term down the line. The only problem is people keep expecting this pandemic to end and it doesnt want to end.

Just to give people perspective. In 2019 Frozen 2 came out the weekend before thanksgiving. It made 42 million alone on that Friday. And 130 million for the weekend. Which just on those 3 days that would put it as 7th biggest for this year. In 3 days.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 11-21-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Very true. But I think a bomb is worse than a flop right
    Yeah, a bomb is usually a stinker, a flop just doesn't make money.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

There are films that under-perform as well. Like they make some money but nothing like the studio wanted. Case in point ....Little Shop of Horrors in the 1980s. The film made money but studio claimed it under-performed. They were more happy how the film did on home video market after it. But we see films where studios place an expectation money wise and aren't happy when the film doesn't hit that mark.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, a bomb is usually a stinker, a flop just doesn't make money.
    Someone earlier brought up Joker. That has to be one of the most profitable movies of all time. At least as far as initial box office is concerned. I wonder what movie actually holds that record.

Checked, Paranormal Activity and the original Mad Max. $100 million on a $200K budget.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-21-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Astonishing Member

I think American Graphitti, or Blair Witch.
    Holy crap yea Blair Witch I forgot about that one.