Page 11 of 420 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Universal is the only studio doing this without getting the ok to break their contract. All other studios got the ok and universal i'm sure would have to if they just asked.

But if I was a small movie theatre owner I would be worried as well. Scary times to own a movie theatre right now.

As for digital releases, WB got the ok for scoob to get a digital release and also had promotions to pay for so lets see how it goes for wb before we write it off.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-30-2020 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Look s to me like the theater chains are doing this to stop other studios from following Universal with doing straight to VOD. But that could backfire. They are already giving up on big money makers for them like Fast and Furious. The block out one more studio and they could see a hit to their own revenues that they might not recover from. If it were Disney, the theaters would collapse.
    It all feels like an overreaction to me, since Trolls was released to a time of mostly closed theaters.
    Yes, this is a "send a message" move by the theaters. Universal jumping in must have other studios intrigued, but they probably want to do an experiment of their own before doing the same. AMC is attempted to scare them from even trying anything.

BANNED

The movie theaters are on their last leg. There is no good reason why a studio should put their movies into theater these days. AMC is panicking because they know more studios will follow Universal.

Incredible Member

I understand what quite a few posters are saying about theaters being on their last leg but would have to disagree. I think living in a certain area that movie theaters are dying a slow painful death but in others they are thriving. I would need to look up the statistics but I wouldn't be surprised if tickets sold (number of moviegoers) is higher in areas outside of north america. This may be due to different reasons including, costs, availability, and culture. I have known quite a few individuals from different countries and most stated that in their areas they were more social and didn't stay indoors often and preferred to go out. Seeing movies is a common social activity for many still and in some areas may be preferred over Netflix and chill.

Also, we may not want theaters to go under as it will probably ensure a dive in film quality and kill big films as it reduces the likelihood that a $100+ million film can make back its budget from streaming alone. Take Netflix and Amazon for example, for every 1 good film they have there are at least 3 bad ones. If the rumours are true and Universal is set to lose $53 million from Trolls, then VOD at this time does not come across as a good replacement for theater revenue.

The studios would survive but would likely revert back to a model where film budgets don't exceed 50 million with minimal marketing as it reduces risk. Definitely interested in seeing what happens in the near future and how this will all eventually play out.

Forgot to add that unfortunately if studios are forced to move to streaming than tighter monopolies and price inflation is around the corner
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 04-30-2020 at 07:59 PM.

They are on their last leg because of the pandemic Chine alone has lost billions it's probably only gonna get wors
    Last edited by choptop; 05-01-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I suspect studios will hold out until the very last minute on the hope that multiplexes will reopen. There's too much money out there that makes no other option possible, or palatable.

How long can studios hold out. This thing is not going to be over anytime soon.
    If Americans want out of the lockdown. Studio won’t still want to risk lives for cinema tickets.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    How long can studios hold out. This thing is not going to be over anytime soon.
    If Americans want out of the lockdown. Studio won’t still want to risk lives for cinema tickets.
    Do you REALLY believe that? I sure as hell don't. As long as people are willing to take the risk for a night out at the multiplex (especially after nearly two months in lockdown with cabin fever raging), studios WILL make movies available for theaters to show.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Do you REALLY believe that? I sure as hell don't. As long as people are willing to take the risk for a night out at the multiplex (especially after nearly two months in lockdown with cabin fever raging), studios WILL make movies available for theaters to show.
    Not if everyone who goes to the movies ends up sick.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    The movie theaters are on their last leg. There is no good reason why a studio should put their movies into theater these days. AMC is panicking because they know more studios will follow Universal.
    The simple fact is there is no way the studios can make the kind of money from VOD they can from a big studio release. The new Fast and Furious movie is not going to make a billion dollars on VOD. It just isn't. Think about it. If they start putting out their big movies on VOD then that means just one "ticket" is sold for a whole family to watch it instead of 2, 3, or more. What are they going to do charge 40 bucks for a new release VOD movie? With all the options out there the majority of people are going to just wait and watch it latter cheaper. Only way this makes sense is if they start making movies cheap again so their over all costs are very low.

Don't kid yourselves the studios need the theaters just as much as the theaters need the studios. Why do you think the big bosses at Universal backtracked so fast. They knew one of their people shot his mouth of saying something stupid and it was going to cost them billions.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Studio won’t still want to risk lives for cinema tickets.
    People are willing to risk the lives of others to get haircuts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The simple fact is there is no way the studios can make the kind of money from VOD they can from a big studio release. The new Fast and Furious movie is not going to make a billion dollars on VOD. It just isn't. Think about it. If they start putting out their big movies on VOD then that means just one "ticket" is sold for a whole family to watch it instead of 2, 3, or more. What are they going to do charge 40 bucks for a new release VOD movie? With all the options out there the majority of people are going to just wait and watch it latter cheaper. Only way this makes sense is if they start making movies cheap again so their over all costs are very low.

Don't kid yourselves the studios need the theaters just as much as the theaters need the studios. Why do you think the big bosses at Universal backtracked so fast. They knew one of their people shot his mouth of saying something stupid and it was going to cost them billions.
    Studios don’t need theaters anymore, that’s the past. With all the new technology they’ll make more money by cutting out the middle man. And the middle man is the movie theaters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    People are willing to risk the lives of others to get haircuts.
    individuals may do that, but the studios likely will not want the bad press from people getting sick while going out and watching one of their movies.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Studios don’t need theaters anymore, that’s the past. With all the new technology they’ll make more money by cutting out the middle man. And the middle man is the movie theaters.
    Still too soon frankly.

I think the price point of VOD will not be enough to compensate for the loss of theater tickets. People are use to paying around $5 or less. I enough people will pay the $20 for first run to make the hundreds of millions blockbusters need.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Not if everyone who goes to the movies ends up sick.
    That's the thing. They don't want to risk getting sued if there is an outbreak traced to the theater *and* it turns out someone made a mistake and didn't follow proper procedures and they get a lawsuit.