Page 110 of 420 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Depends on the theater and movie in question.

I have one movie theater near me. In fact it's the only theater in a 50 mile radius.

If I did NOT go to noon movie showings-I would NOT have gotten to see Into Spiderverse or Black Panther just walking up with 10 minutes before showtime. They stayed sold out.
    Even Fox's Fantastic Four was like that.

Most do that to make sure they have a seat even if they pre-ordered.
    When I've ordered tickets in advance it's almost always been for an IMAX showing. Getting to the nearest IMAX theatre is about two hours on public transit, give or take half an hour depending on making connections. And it's always a source of great anxiety for me, so I want to be sure of getting there in time and having my ticket confirmed.

There is a movie theatre much closer, but with no IMAX, half an hour away on foot or fifteen minutes by bus. But I still like to get there early to buy the ticket and pick the seat. Then I will go off to get a coffee and look in the shops, before coming back to the theatre about fifteen minutes before the showing.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Ghostbusters : Afterlife passed the $100+ million mark and notched $102+ million domestically thus far. It finished a strong 2nd to Disney's Encanto. So the film has done nice to have legs.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Eternals passed Dune in the worldwide box office. And Dune was released in China.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Eternals passed Dune in the worldwide box office. And Dune was released in China.
    That's not worth much to bring up since Dune made 39 million in China but they infamously only give back 25% of the box office back to Hollywood and Dune's reported budget alone is lower than Eternals by around what Dune did in China in the first place. While Dune didn't have a theatrical exclusive run in North America for that matter, which is a running advantage Eternals had in addition to the whole Marvel brand, which didn't work with critics this time and audiences clearly blinked on it as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    That's not worth much to bring up since Dune made 39 million in China but they infamously only give back 25% of the box office back to Hollywood and Dune's reported budget alone is lower than Eternals by around what Dune did in China in the first place. While Dune didn't have a theatrical exclusive run in North America for that matter, which is a running advantage Eternals had in addition to the whole Marvel brand, which didn't work with critics this time and audiences clearly blinked on it as well.

Eternals is looking like it will be 5th right now in box office in North America. Only movies that have done better are other Marvel movies, and Fast 9. The whole box office is a whiff this year.

Astonishing Member

Eternals is looking like it will be 5th right now in box office in North America. Only movies that have done better are other Marvel movies, and Fast 9. The whole box office is a whiff this year.
    I remember a train of thought up thread about Marvel properties keeping all the box office glory this year, Fast 9 or anything else be damned, and for whatever Top 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 spots list we might want to keep the goalposts for, I don't think the exact line matters all that much.

But because I have good enough memory for that, seeing you try to deflect in 2 posts, from worldwide to North America only box office, and without addressing about how China has little to do on how a Dune re-do movie being nose to nose with a huge (in budget and talent) Marvel movie, of all things, might actually make Dune look better, lands with a flop with me. Especially when Dune's sequel is still guaranteed anyhow.
    Last edited by Wildling; 12-06-2021 at 11:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I remember a train of thought up thread about Marvel properties keeping all the box office glory this year, Fast 9 or anything else be damned, and for whatever Top 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 spots list we might want to keep the goalposts for, I don't think the exact line matters all that much.

But because I have good enough memory for that, seeing you try to deflect in 2 posts, from worldwide to North America only box office, and without addressing about how China has little to do on how a Dune re-do movie being nose to nose with a huge (in budget and talent) Marvel movie, of all things, might actually make Dune look better, lands with a flop with me. Especially when Dune's sequel is still guaranteed anyhow.

Actually China has alot to do with Dunes box office. Because if not for that Eternals would have passed it two weeks ago. 39 million isn't a small amount.

Astonishing Member

If Eternals was released in China it probably would have made at least 100M+ and easily surpassed Dune. Haven't watched it yet but the amount of action and special effects probably would have made it a hit over there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    If Eternals was released in China it probably would have made at least 100M+ and easily surpassed Dune. Haven't watched it yet but the amount of action and special effects probably would have made it a hit over there.
    Want an interesting box office fact? I don't have a clue why but do you know what country Venom 2 made the most money outside of North America? Russia. Over 37 million. I do not have any idea why.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 12-07-2021 at 01:42 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well the international box office is changing more now. Its been said that China is getting more restrictive on giving American films to play there and likely will promote their own films. The industry seems to sense that and are pushing towards India/Asia as the big new area to promote films in. So we may look at a future where China isn't there. Not til a regime change and things relax.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Actually China has alot to do with Dunes box office. Because if not for that Eternals would have passed it two weeks ago. 39 million isn't a small amount.
    I have to repeat myself, not all of that amount goes back to the studio, not even as much as any other territory would allow, and for this case the budget difference in US dollars is not nothing either.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well the international box office is changing more now. Its been said that China is getting more restrictive on giving American films to play there and likely will promote their own films. The industry seems to sense that and are pushing towards India/Asia as the big new area to promote films in. So we may look at a future where China isn't there. Not til a regime change and things relax.
    Yeah Eternals didn't play in China but that's just how it is. There's already several superhero movies this year (not including R-rated Suicide Squad) that didn't get a release so far. Even for Spider-Man I think they're still dragging their feet about it.

And while superhero movies still have a leg up compared to other movies, even if a movie releases there there's no guarantee it will not bomb (like Jungle Cruise) or cross 100 million even if liked (Free Guy didn't), release delays can encourage piracy for anticipated movies, and on occasion they even cancel stuff at the last minute like they did with Monster Hunter or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Studios are better off being wary of China currently.

No way home expecting to make $500m ww!

https://movieweb.com/spider-man-no-w...dwide-opening/

No way home expecting to hurt matrix 4 box office also.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    I hope not since the holiday season usually has large space to spread the box office around. But this one is unprecedented.

Assuming the movie is good, I liked the trailer but the movie has a bunch to live up to.

I'd be more concerned about West Side Story first.

Astonishing Member

Thats crazy!

Astonishing Member

Matrix 4 being available on HBO Max while in theatres hurts more than No Way Home. Too bad it's not a theatrical release only.