Page 118 of 420 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    And musical is not exactly a genre Spielberg is really famous for.
    Spielberg is not famous for just one genre alone. additionally he has wanted to make this movie (west side story) for a long time, so I am glad he did so and can get it out of his system. Also I have faith the movie may end up as a sleeper hit since speaking of musicals, the greatest showman became a sleeper hit after a lukewarn first week box office.

Sony not expecting Nwh box office to be as big as others. They think it will be around $130m to $170m.

Nwh makes $5.28m in korea first day from deadline. It's a start.

Sing 2 reviews have dropped. RT critic is 65 but aud score is 97! Critics didn't care as much but movies viewers love it! Alot of that this year. Venom 2, addams family 2, etc.

Will this do well?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Sony not expecting Nwh box office to be as big as others. They think it will be around $130m to $170m.

Nwh makes $5.28m in korea first day from deadline. It's a start.

Sing 2 reviews have dropped. RT critic is 65 but aud score is 97! Critics didn't care as much but movies viewers love it! Alot of that this year. Venom 2, addams family 2, etc.

Will this do well?
    Sony is probably right, with the new variant and increasing covid cases, some people are having a second thought about going out to the movies. This movie really is coming out at the wrong time, they should have waited until the winter covid surge is over, like March or April.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tarbabe View Post
    Sony is probably right, with the new variant and increasing covid cases, some people are having a second thought about going out to the movies. This movie really is coming out at the wrong time, they should have waited until the winter covid surge is over, like March or April.

Yea im not going. I think people over 40 are gonna be hesitant. At least until the initial crowded theaters thin out. And to see what this new wave of covid is going to do.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

What is wild in a sense is if this was 2018 or 2019 before the pandemic and the current era....Ghostbusters Afterlife would likely be doing bigger than what we see worldwide. Its already doing $165+ million. The other Ghostbusters film in 2016 did $228+ million worldwide. So if this wasn't going on Afterlife likely would be running serious against it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Calling it that this post is gonna age very poorly come Sunday evening...

Like every Hollywood studio Sony is lowballing their projection so that they can sell the actual result as an even bigger success. Happens with every movie.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Retired

Large crowds of people inside movie theatres for the biggest release of the year, with the most contagious variant of the virus so far, with millions of people unvaccinated, in winter just before Christmas--what could go wrong?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    What is wild in a sense is if this was 2018 or 2019 before the pandemic and the current era....Ghostbusters Afterlife would likely be doing bigger than what we see worldwide. Its already doing $165+ million. The other Ghostbusters film in 2016 did $228+ million worldwide. So if this wasn't going on Afterlife likely would be running serious against it.

I mean sure. But you could say that about basically every movie released this year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Large crowds of people inside movie theatres for the biggest release of the year, with the most contagious variant of the virus so far, with millions of people unvaccinated, in winter just before Christmas--what could go wrong?
    I do think if people wear N95 masks and are vaccinated they will be fine. Of course we know that there will be a lot who don't wear the masks right or don't wear them, or aren't vaccinated. And so it goes.

My brother in law is a doctor in Germany. He takes care of covid patients. He says if you wear N95s and wear them the right way they are 99 percent effective. But you have to actually get the right size and wear them correctly.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea I'm not going. I think people over 40 are gonna be hesitant. At least until the initially crowded theaters thin out. And to see what this new wave of covid is going to do.
    It's going to be huge but the pandemic is still very much a factor. At least in some territories.

In my neck of the woods in Canada, covid restrictions are getting slightly tightened again and people must present evidence of vaccination to enter the cinema.

With cases rising again, a lot of people will be hesitant. Personally, I'm not sure I will go just yet.

I've gotten the two shots but I haven't gotten a booster yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Everything could go wrong. its has super spreader events written all over it.

Do some cinema do sit social distancing? it may be a good idea for some films.

For a film like No Way Home, (which I have seen and will post my review on the spoiler thread) I think the movie depends more on what you are driven by?

1. the media twitter hype

2. you are a Spiderman fan that will watch all his films regardless?

3. nostalgia factor?

4. you are quite depressed and you want something like a movie to cheer you up.

If you are not in any of this categories, No Way Home is a movie you can wait for on streaming and VOD.

however if you can social distance and protect yourself and not use public restrooms , you may as well go to the cinema to watch No Way Home.
    Last edited by Castle; 12-16-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

To play devil’s advocate, what if a new variant pops up come spring that proves just as infectious as Delta or Omicron, perhaps moreso? What then, roll it back to July or August, just in time for a summer surge? Depending on what expert you listen to, watch or read, COVID could be here to stay, so, taking that into consideration, there might be no right time to release a film. Sony is rolling the dice with No Way Home and hoping for good crowds, what with the virus continuing to make the rounds. EVERY studio will be in that same boat if the virus doesn’t fully go away.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-16-2021 at 02:48 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Im not a betting man. But looking at these figures and depending on how many theaters it can hold on to I think Eternals may pass F9 for fourth place behind the other three marvel movies. Its gonna be close. I don't know how many theaters its gonna hang on to. But with No way home coming out there will be a boost for the other marvel movie and Christmas isn't here yet. of course with the Pandemic who knows. But its gonna be close.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    To play devil’s advocate, what if a new variant pops up come spring that proves just as infectious as Delta or Omicron, perhaps moreso? What then, roll it back to July or August, just in time for a summer surge? Depending on what expert you listen to, watch or read, COVID could be here to stay, so, taking that into consideration, there might be no right time to release a film. Sony is rolling the dice with No Way Home and hoping for good crowds, what with the virus continuing to make the rounds. EVERY studio will be in that same boat if the virus doesn’t fully go away.
    At this point, I think Covid will just end up being like the flu and we'll be getting shots for it every year.

Some Broadway shows that just reopened are not shutting down because of the new variant.
    I think SMNWH will be a superspreader. It’s more contagious than the experts first believed.