Page 121 of 420 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

Does anyone know how revenue is split between Disney and Sony on this ? Or is it split?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...me-1235135493/

West side story looks like we not follow greatest showman but will follow in the heights. Ouch.
    Here is the issue-who asked for that movie to be made again?

Also in this political climate that we are in-toss POC as leads or even working on classic or older movies or shows-folks are going to tune them out. With some thinking those projects are attacking a certain demographic. Even if it is NOT.

Along with whatever legit criticism the film may have.

There is NOTHING a studio can do about that. Unless they start handing over money for original content or use what you already have ownership to that is already diverse.

I mean I don't need a black version of Riverdale when you got Fast Willie Jackson and his gang sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Another factor forget about Spider-Man is the timing of the opening.

Eternals came out during Election week.

Spider-Man is coming out as winter break for many school districts is starting and in my case it opened on an early release day for secondary students.

In other districts the last day of school was Thursday.
    Are you trying to explain the difference of one movie making 165 million in its whole runtime and a movie making close to 250 million in just three days with school breaks?

Also in this political climate that we are in-toss POC as leads or even working on classic or older movies or shows-folks are going to tune them out. With some thinking those projects are attacking a certain demographic. Even if it is NOT.

Along with whatever legit criticism the film may have.

There is NOTHING a studio can do about that. Unless they start handing over money for original content or use what you already have ownership to that is already diverse.

I mean I don't need a black version of Riverdale when you got Fast Willie Jackson and his gang sitting there.
    What has a black version of Riverdale got to do with anything?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Astonishing Member

No one should be comparing spider man to eternals thats ridiculous. They are totally different properties. Really no one should be comparing any marvel movie this year to Spider-man no way home. This film is an event and the end of a trilogy, the other films were debut films or in the case of Black Widow, a prequel.

Astonishing Member

Shang has over 125 solo issues unlike Antman who can't get to issue 12. He's not that obscure.

Another factor forget about Spider-Man is the timing of the opening.

Eternals came out during Election week.

Spider-Man is coming out as winter break for many school districts is starting and in my case it opened on an early release day for secondary students.

In other districts the last day of school was Thursday.
    Spider-Man has a sweet schedule. Two whole weeks of box office holiday albeit in a pandemic. Only major competition is The Matrix but that is released on HBO Max at the same time. No big movies to steal any business away.

I thought Shang could have done 300M if it was released in summer with no school pre-Covid.
    Last edited by Colossus1980; 12-18-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    The discussion of some weeks ago I was referring to started because an article was posted in which the author claimed that the pandemic accounts for roughly 15% less gross for a movie and some users argued that number was way too small and that the pandemic has a much bigger negative impact. If we use the 15% Shang-Chi would have made between 250-260 million, and Eternals around 190 million. These are numbers I can agree with.
    I didn't have a problem with that either.

The point is, 190 million for an MCU movie would have been a disappointment, too, especially as this wasn't a cheap (for MCU standards) 140 million Ant-Man-like effort, it was a 200 million production aimed to be an epic event. That clearly didn't work out and Feige would do well to not blame the reasons for that on the pandemic solely.
    Eternals struggling to make twice its budget worldwide is enough to make any other movie be called a flop. Especially when theatrical only, which Shang-Chi and even Free Guy better rode to their advantage. Now one could say Feige could be forgiving of the budget size for this particular year, but even then the movie had mediocre weekend box office holds, even with a full week between itself and the debut of Ghostbusters Afterlife. And even Afterlife, as enjoyable as it was, was a much smaller scale nostalgia throwback compared to what No Way Home is doing right now and its previous franchise installment flopped, as far as how serious that competition looks like on paper against a Marvel movie. And the "first ever Rotten Marvel movie" bad press would stick to a direct sequel announcement, or decisions on what to change for it, like a lamprey. Would make sense at that point how critics kept comparing Eternals to earlier DC movies.

IIRC Spielberg wanted to make a musical for a while? Would you want to be the guy to tell him no, when hard data for recent years didn't necessarily say they were box office poison?

There's more insidious stuff going on when it comes to a variety of movies that people are letting insta-flop currently, I wouldn't specifically blame Spielberg or the movie itself which is apparently good.

Ultimate Member

Looks like No Way Home is going to open to around $500m+ ww without China.

That’s insane. If not for the pandemic and the non-China release, the movie would have done near Endgame level of business. Even without that, the movie should still clear $1.5bn ww (this still depends on how capacity limits are tightened in several territories).

But why exactly is No Way Home not opening in China? It seems that most American movies don’t scale their censors their anymore.

Although it’s not exactly a loss to their economy, Chinese movies are grossing record amounts there (some movies are making between $700-$800m there)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Spider-Man has a sweet schedule. Two whole weeks of box office holiday albeit in a pandemic. Only major competition is The Matrix but that is released on HBO Max at the same time. No big movies to steal any business away.
    The Kingsman prequel also comes out on Wednesday (theaters only), but I seriously doubt that'll put a dent in Spider-Man's box office numbers.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I’m reading that No Way Home will likely do around $253m this weekend.

With next week being Christmas and schools being out, it’s going to have a very soft drop next week.

The movie could very well do $700m+ domestic. It should be able to cross BP domestic but we don’t know how soft it’s drop will be after Christmas.

The Omicron surge is starting to have an impact on people going out. Not sure how much it will be, but we will all see going forward.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The Omicron surge is starting to have an impact on people going out. Not sure how much it will be, but we will all see going forward.
    Very true.

That’s why the predictions around NWH are a bit softer than normal.

Heck, with that opening day I would have thought the movie would have done more than $253m for the weekend (although i think the opening day gross was slightly inflated given that previews for NWH started at 3.00pm on Thursday).

The COVID surge in Europe is a bit of surprise. The UK has cancelled several sporting events this weekend because of COVID and I’ll be surprised if they don’t limit capacity or shut down cinemas altogether because of the surge.

$250m plus for spider-man in america from deadline reported on saturday! $500m ww! It beat star wars fa opening! Now third highest grossing opening!

https://deadline.com/2021/12/spider-...ly-1234898486/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Does anyone know how revenue is split between Disney and Sony on this ? Or is it split?
    I think Disney is getting 25% after the re-negotiations.

But I think Disney is getting all the merchandise revenue or something.

From the people I know who saw it and the reviews, a lot of people. Beyond film makers shouldn't just make movies that people expect, we must realize that the demographics of ticket buyers right now is different from 2018 and 2019, when they were making West Side Story. They were probably hoping g for another Les Miz. But that audience isn't going right now.

The truth is, there are truly terrible movies that become hits and brilliant movies that flop. That is, as they say, Show Business.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Can't help but wonder if NWH is a 2B+ movie pre-COVID. The virus impact will be huge for this movie as the surge is here.