Page 13 of 420 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Fear isn't the motivating factor here, it’s the convenience of VOD over theatre. Maybe 20-30 years ago you could credibly argue that theatres offered the best viewing experience possible. These days though a 4K TV and a decent sound system is just as good if not better. Embracing VOD would finally bring Hollywood into line with other forms of entertainment, you can download new games or books day one of release and the same should be true of all movies as well.
    Of course fear is the motivating factor. If convenience was the factor box office would have trended differently years ago.

Fact is, communal experience will always be a thing. Who hasn't enjoyed a sports event more when they were in a crowd than when they were watching it alone? I don't mean just in the stadium. That includes your local bar.

When you are experiencing a movie with a lot of other people, comedies are funnier, thrillers are more exciting, dramas are more tear-jerking. The communal experience will never go away.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    Of course fear is the motivating factor. If convenience was the factor box office would have trended differently years ago.

Fact is, communal experience will always be a thing. Who hasn't enjoyed a sports event more when they were in a crowd than when they were watching it alone? I don't mean just in the stadium. That includes your local bar.

When you are experiencing a movie with a lot of other people, comedies are funnier, thrillers are more exciting, dramas are more tear-jerking. The communal experience will never go away.
    I think there's a stark difference between a sporting event versus seeing a movie.

This doesn't preclude the probability that theaters will resume and likely be just fine. But despite me being (what I believed to be) an avid movie-goer, over the last 2 months I've realized I haven't missed the theater experience like I thought I would.

Retired

The thing is, for me, on the few occasions in the year when I do go to see a movie in a theatre, it's not packed. There's maybe twenty people in the whole place. And I like to sit way down in front--so there's less distraction in my peripheral vision (there's too many lights on in theatres) and I can be totally in the movie. Usually there's maybe only one or two people near me. And sometimes, it's like I'm watching the movie all by myself, because the audience behind me is so quiet.

The only time that the theatre is reasonably full is when I go see D.C. movies on the preview night. Which is a chore--because I hate going out at night and the preview is usually at a theatre over an hour away. That's when I do want the audience reaction. But I hardly ever get it. People in Vancouver don't express much emotion--there's never the big reactions and nobody claps at the end. So that movie audience experience doesn't exist here.

I don't know about elsewhere, but most showings are never packed and certainly less than 50%. Other than opening weekend for a movie, they wouldn't need to worry about the audience size. So I could see special rules for the opening days--maybe have only one or two movies playing in the multiplex on the weekend, so they can use all the theatres for distancing. But during the week, there's few people going to the movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't know about elsewhere, but most showings are never packed and certainly less than 50%. Other than opening weekend for a movie, they wouldn't need to worry about the audience size. So I could see special rules for the opening days--maybe have only one or two movies playing in the multiplex on the weekend, so they can use all the theatres for distancing. But during the week, there's few people going to the movies.
    Yeah, in most big cities, the theater seats per capita is too high. Of course theaters know this too, which is why they are trying to get more money per seats. (Premium Seating/Chairs, Food and Alcohol sales, etc)

BANNED

The domestic box office alone has been greater than 10 billion dollars each of the last 11 years. You don't get that with generally half-empty theatres. It's not a good idea to use anecdotal observation to make broad conclusions.

BANNED

But except for blockbusters, the theaters was already struggling before the virus.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    But except for blockbusters, the theaters was already struggling before the virus.
    Again, $10 billion a year for each of the last 10 years, domestically, speaks for itself.

The box office has increased every year but seven since 1986. In the shorter term, it's increased 5 of the last 10.

I predict people will be desperate to get back to the theater and 2021 will see a huge spike.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    Again, $10 billion a year for each of the last 10 years, domestically, speaks for itself.

The box office has increased every year but seven since 1986. In the shorter term, it's increased 5 of the last 10.

I predict people will be desperate to get back to the theater and 2021 will see a huge spike.
    It doesn't matter how desperate people get going back is going to be next to impossible until they have a cure and that's not going to happen until late 2021 or 2022 and that's if the movie theaters even survive this.

Looks like amazon is thinking about buying amc.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...est-2020-05-11

And more money lost on trolls 2. The stars want their bonus checks!

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/anima...onuses-a175157

The Hollywood Reporter reveals that the cast of the animated sequel were also caught off guard by the movie not receiving a traditional theatrical release.

However, they're not fretting too much about what that means for the big screen experience moving forward; instead, the likes of Justin Timberlake and Anna Kendrick want the box office bonuses they were promised!

With animated movies like this one, compensation is usually tied to BO performance, so it is money the cast is entitled to. They were never informed of the plan to send Trolls World Tour straight to Digital, and while the studio has touted a $100 million domestic debut, the trade says the film is still "in the red."

Some industry experts believe the sequel "may never make a dime," though others believe it could still turn a profit of at least $40 million by the time all is said and done. Bonuses for the cast would have kicked in when Trolls World Tour hit $350 million at the worldwide box office, and their reps are unhappy at the lack of transparency over how much money it's actually earned.

Another source tells the trade that studios "don’t have to show you the VOD numbers, so you’re completely relying on them. The lawyers will talk on both sides and come to a number. It doesn’t behoove them to look like they’re short-shrifting talent."

It's been a rough couple of months for every studio, but Universal Pictures has to be regretting a lot of recent decisions right now. Still, they were ultimately trying to make the best of a bad situation.

BANNED

Another major blow to theaters. Disney announced today the movie “Hamilton” will be released on Disney+ streaming service, it was originally plan for theatrical release on October 15, 2021. This movie was expected to be a big box office money maker, but after the success of “Trolls” for Universal, Disney has decided to cutout the middle man too.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/h...da-1234604233/
    Last edited by luprki; 05-12-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Another major blow to theaters. Disney announced today the movie “Hamilton” will be released on Disney+ streaming service, it was originally plan for theatrical release on October 15, 2021. This movie was expected to be a big box office money maker, but after the success of “Trolls” for Universal, Disney has decided to cutout the middle man too.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/h...da-1234604233/
    I doubt a filmed Broadway show, which this is, was going to be a big money maker. Disney owns the rights to do a full movie, which they will eventually. This is just a better version on the type of thing you see on PBS.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It doesn't matter how desperate people get going back is going to be next to impossible until they have a cure and that's not going to happen until late 2021 or 2022 and that's if the movie theaters even survive this.
    We got folks ready to attack cops over the right to go to the beach, salon and other places-folks are not caring about a cure.

We even got drive ins making a return. So it's not like it's the end of everything. Just some adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We got folks ready to attack cops over the right to go to the beach, salon and other places-folks are not caring about a cure.

We even got drive ins making a return. So it's not like it's the end of everything. Just some adjustments.
    75% of Americans still support social distancing. There aren't enough armed yahoos who will "die for their freedom" to make a profit.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Some adjustments is a understament I didn't say it's the end of everything I'm saying don't expect things to go back to normal anytime soon people can get mad all they want about the way things are still doesn't mean movies are going to be back in 2021 or even 2022 I hope I'm worng and it ends next week but facts are facts.