Page 139 of 420 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189239 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

Nice to see Uncharted doing respectable numbers, I don't know how faithful it is to the games but I liked it more than I expected, and Holland should want to build a resume longer than Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by tarbabe View Post
    What are you talking about? Dog is over performing
    Yeah I wish movies like Malignant, Last Night in Soho or Nightmare Alley (just to name a few) had opened at least that high. The insta-bomb range for movies like this has been around $5 million opening weekend.

Your right about dog. It was only expexcted $10m. Oops. So two films did better then expected. Good when that happens.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 02-20-2022 at 09:03 AM.

Uncharted made $51m! Dog hits $18m.

“It’s the first time two movies have overperformed in the same weekend in a long time,” beamed UAR Distribution Boss Erik Lomis, “This speaks to the health of the market and shouldn’t be overlooked. The marketplace can sustain more than one overperformer.”
    https://deadline.com/2022/02/box-off...um-1234956548/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    This is such a horrible take. The Oscars are supposed to recognize the best films of the year...not the best films based on it's budget genre or success. The last 10-15 years the Oscars have been about pushing optics not quality, it's why so many BP winners have been disposable and forgettable. Cursing a film because it's not successful is dumb and it undermines the credibility of the award. Go back 4 years...A Star is Born made half a billion dollars and was a Romantic musical and it got 1 award. All the films that got awards that year were grossly inferior from Bohemian Rhapsody to Roma to Green Book to Black Panther. 30 years from now when people go back and watch the "best pictures" how are they going to feel watching Green Book, Moonlight, The Kings Speech, Argo, and The Artist.
    Apart from The Artist, the movies you listed out are great movies.

Moonlight in particular is one of the better movies of the last few years.

A Star is Born didn't deserve anything beyond that 1 award it got. It was certainly far worse than the movies you listed out.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    So that $30m uncharted-- It's heading for $45 to $50m!

Dog not having much bite with around $15m expected.

Cursed is cursed with around $1.8m.
    Sucks about Cursed because it was amazing, best film of the year right now for me.

This narrative that the press is saying Tom Holland is a big box office draw is ridiculous.
    Holland success has only been in preexisting popular materials, much like Chris Pratt.
    I think if Holland or Pratt starred in a movie like Dog, it wouldn’t make $5 million.
    I think people didn’t go see Holland, they went to go see Drake and Peter Parker.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

People went to see Holland and Mark Wahlberg who they have goodwill for. Both looked good in previews of it. This makes Sony happy as they wanted Uncharted to become a new movie franchise ahead. I said it months ago , with Disney's failure with Indiana Jones coming ...people needed a fun treasure hunting type film and Nathan Drake in adventures is it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    People went to see Holland and Mark Wahlberg who they have goodwill for. Both looked good in previews of it. This makes Sony happy as they wanted Uncharted to become a new movie franchise ahead. I said it months ago , with Disney's failure with Indiana Jones coming ...people needed a fun treasure hunting type film and Nathan Drake in adventures is it.
    I think the success of Uncharted had little to do with Holland and for sure had nothing to do with Wahlberg.
    Put Holland in a none preexisting material movie, no one probably would care to watch.

But big win for Sony. Last year Sony signed a streaming deal with Netflix that starts with the 2022 releases.
    Doesn’t anyone know if Uncharted will have a 45 day theatrical run then move over to Netflix?
    Last edited by tarbabe; 02-20-2022 at 05:12 PM.

Incredible Member

This narrative that the press is saying Tom Holland is a big box office draw is ridiculous.
    Holland success has only been in preexisting popular materials, much like Chris Pratt.
    I think if Holland or Pratt starred in a movie like Dog, it wouldn’t make $5 million.
    I think people didn’t go see Holland, they went to go see Drake and Peter Parker.
    You really think the general movie audience is familiar with Drake and the Uncharted video game? I think most gamers who know the franchise wrote the movie off when Holland was cast because he’s too young and looks nothing like the character. I think this movie’s success owes more to Tom Holland fans than Uncharted video game fans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    You really think the general movie audience is familiar with Drake and the Uncharted video game? I think most gamers who know the franchise wrote the movie off when Holland was cast because he’s too young and looks nothing like the character. I think this movie’s success owes more to Tom Holland fans than Uncharted video game fans.
    The Holland/Wahlberg buddy flick element is what made it work for me, not knowing anything about the games.

Uncharted hits $139m world wide!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think the success of Uncharted had little to do with Holland and for sure had nothing to do with Wahlberg.
    Put Holland in a none preexisting material movie, no one probably would care to watch.

But big win for Sony. Last year Sony signed a streaming deal with Netflix that starts with the 2022 releases.
    Doesn’t anyone know if Uncharted will have a 45 day theatrical run then move over to Netflix?
    The number of fans of Uncharted is much smaller than the number of people who went out and saw this movie...that's a flat fact.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

To add to the above, the fans of the game actually disliked Holland's casting. So I doubt they made up the bulk of the audience since most were pronouncing it DOA.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    The Holland/Wahlberg buddy flick element is what made it work for me, not knowing anything about the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The number of fans of Uncharted is much smaller than the number of people who went out and saw this movie...that's a flat fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    To add to the above, the fans of the game actually disliked Holland's casting. So I doubt they made up the bulk of the audience since most were pronouncing it DOA.

Mark Wahlberg has done films for years. Once he paired up with the kid from Spider-Man it was a SOLD film. Sony has to be happy since as mentioned people thought Uncharted would bomb...and it didn't.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I'm sure no way home did lend a hand as did the fun trailers. As for Holland yes no way home has helped but pointed out on another forum other then spidey films almost every Holland film before uncharted has done "ok" or bombed at the box office!

Onward had a chance--then the virus ko'd it! So him in the film isn't enough to save your film. It didn't save cherry and the y the last man rip-off. He needs to have better choices in his films he picks.