Page 14 of 420 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

It was announced Unhinged, a thriller starring Russell Crowe as a road rage villain, will be the first new movie to open in social distancing and sanitizing theaters and test the waters before, hopefully, Tenet and Mulan.

I didn't know at all that movie existed before, but I was looking forward to The Woman in the Window before theaters closed, so might as well check it out if it feels safe enough by then.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Some adjustments is a understament I didn't say it's the end of everything I'm saying don't expect things to go back to normal anytime soon people can get mad all they want about the way things are still doesn't mean movies are going to be back in 2021 or even 2022 I hope I'm worng and it ends next week but facts are facts.
    I will say that when I suggested 2021 I was being overly optimistic. Don't think it will happen by then. But it will happen. Not in time to save most of the existing theaters, but new ones will rise from the ashes, because people will demand it. They will likely even find a way to run the business more efficiently. Certainly they will have more leverage over the studios.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    I will say that when I suggested 2021 I was being overly optimistic. Don't think it will happen by then. But it will happen. Not in time to save most of the existing theaters, but new ones will rise from the ashes, because people will demand it. They will likely even find a way to run the business more efficiently. Certainly they will have more leverage over the studios.
    I agree one way or another movies will continue.

Update on bonus checks.

It also may surprise many people that despite NBCU's boast that the Trolls sequel has scored almost $100 million domestically from the on-demand release, the movie is still millions in the red and, in the opinion of some industry veterans, may never make a dime

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-money-1293394

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I doubt a filmed Broadway show, which this is, was going to be a big money maker. Disney owns the rights to do a full movie, which they will eventually. This is just a better version on the type of thing you see on PBS.
    You’re kidding? This film would have made tons of money. The theaters’ stranglehold over the studios is over, studio don’t have to share the money with them. Cable TV killed the drive-in, now Streaming TV is killing the walk-in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    Again, $10 billion a year for each of the last 10 years, domestically, speaks for itself.

The box office has increased every year but seven since 1986. In the shorter term, it's increased 5 of the last 10.

I predict people will be desperate to get back to the theater and 2021 will see a huge spike.
    Only because blockbusters and much higher ticket prices.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    It was announced Unhinged, a thriller starring Russell Crowe as a road rage villain, will be the first new movie to open in social distancing and sanitizing theaters and test the waters before, hopefully, Tenet and Mulan.

I didn't know at all that movie existed before, but I was looking forward to The Woman in the Window before theaters closed, so might as well check it out if it feels safe enough by then.
    Not enough people is going to risk their life to go see a movie that will be available on streaming in two months.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Not enough people is going to risk their life to go see a movie that will be available on streaming in two months.
    Whispers: I probably would have for Avengers: Endgame, and The Force Awakens. (Well before seeing the movie, anyway)

You’re kidding? This film would have made tons of money. The theaters’ stranglehold over the studios is over, studio don’t have to share the money with them. Cable TV killed the drive-in, now Streaming TV is killing the walk-in.
    No not kidding. This is not a movie of Hamilton like Les Mis or Chicago, it is a filmed Broadway stage play. It would not have been a blockbuster. And Cable TV did not kill the Drive-Ins. People thought it would kill the regular movie theaters, it didn't. Streaming has been around awhile and not killed the theaters. The only threat to theaters now is people's reasonable fear of going. If they survive the COVID crisis, people will return.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

UK looking to let batman, dr strange 2, ant man 3, witcher s2, moon knight and others start filming again!

July 1 the movie unhinged plans to release at the movies.

BANNED

No not kidding. This is not a movie of Hamilton like Les Mis or Chicago, it is a filmed Broadway stage play. It would not have been a blockbuster. And Cable TV did not kill the Drive-Ins. People thought it would kill the regular movie theaters, it didn't. Streaming has been around awhile and not killed the theaters. The only threat to theaters now is people's reasonable fear of going. If they survive the COVID crisis, people will return.
    I understand it’s a stage play film, I also know it’s not a blockbuster, but it still would have made tons of money for the theaters.
    And yes streaming been around for awhile, what’s different is the studios are now starting their own streaming service.
    Direct-to-Customers is the future. When the theaters open again, there is not going to be enough people returning to keep them open.
    For most people, their life is worth more than a movie that will be streaming in two months. Without a viable treatment or vaccine the movie theaters are dead. When we do get a treatment or vaccine, people would have already adapted to the new norm of streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    UK looking to let batman, dr strange 2, ant man 3, witcher s2, moon knight and others start filming again!

We shall see but I wouldn't bet on that happening.

I understand it’s a stage play film, I also know it’s not a blockbuster, but it still would have made tons of money for the theaters.
    And yes streaming been around for awhile, what’s different is the studios are now starting their own streaming service.
    Direct-to-Customers is the future. When the theaters open again, there is not going to be enough people returning to keep them open.
    For most people, their life is worth more than a movie that will be streaming in two months. Without a viable treatment or vaccine the movie theaters are dead. When we do get a treatment or vaccine, people would have already adapted to the new norm of streaming.
    I agree with the last part. The question is what happens after we get a vaccine.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

I agree with the last part. The question is what happens after we get a vaccine.
    There seem to be a lot of folks who think of current theaters die, new ones cannot arise.

Theaters will not go away because of this situation.