Page 141 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tarbabe View Post
    All I’m saying is I think Holland is not the reason why Uncharted is successful, as some in the media have claimed. Don’t make this into something I didn’t say.
    When the reasons you're citing for why it can't possibly be Holland are categorically and objectively false perhaps you should rethink your point of view.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

All I’m saying is I think Holland is not the reason why Uncharted is successful, as some in the media have claimed. Don’t make this into something I didn’t say.
    Well then just so we're clear, what exactly are the reasons you think it's been so successful? It appears you're claiming that it's doing well because of the amount of video game enthusiasts but, as has been pointed out, that doesn't actually track. You then made up some stats that, again, aren't correct.

Incredible Member

Why are you so intent on disputing that claim? Sure you can say that any actor could replace him and the movie would be the same. Maybe, maybe not. He has had his share of flops so why not just let him have this win?

The notion of him having box office flops is a flawed one in the first place as he hasn't starred in any potential blockbuster outside of the Spidey films until now. Cherry was an AppleTV+ release, The Devil All The Time a Netflix release, Chaos Walking was released at a time when due to the pandemic still half of the theaters were closed. His other live action movies as leading actor were independent films that nobody expected to make huge money. So what flops am I missing that show that he never was a box office draw?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Mark Walhberg has done more big box office films than Holland and has more busts in that span. In fact this could be considered a Walhberg comeback film for him given the last few years where he hasn't done a box office big film since ...well 2018 and Instant Family. His last films went to direct streaming basically with Spenser : Confiditionial and Infinite.

So its more of a film where people saw 2 actors they liked and thought them doing playful ads together helped. They sold a buddy thief film and it clicked.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There are more people in the general audience for movies than either there are people who are comic book fans or avid video gamers...and although gaming has definitely become more mainstream it still doesn't top movie goers.

150 million people in the US saw at least one movie in a theater in 2019, conversely even if you add up the total number of owners of a PS4 and PS5 (and those numbers are hardly likely to be unique with likely everyone who owns as ps5 having been included in the sales for ps4) you only have 126 million...and as I said that's juicing the numbers to try and get the best possible comparison number wise. And again, in actuality the number of fans of Uncharted is going to be less than that number as not everyone who owns a playstation owns or has played Uncharted as the whole series tops out at about a million copies sold.

As for comic books? Comparing comics sales to movie tickets isn't even worth crunching the numbers, it isn't even close to being competitive.
    The number of console owners can't be compared to a movie goer. A single console can be shared among multiple people. It's like saying Netflix only got 200 million users but we all know how common account sharing is. I'm sure that number will be far larger if those people could be counted.

I thought Specer was always meant for Netfilx.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I thought Specer was always meant for Netfilx.
    It was ...it was like Infinite. Walhberg hadn't done a major box office film since 2018. That is a long 4 years in time for him. So the general audience saw 2 guys they liked....and decided to go see at theaters. Uncharted should have a good 2 weeks before Batman arrives.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The number of console owners can't be compared to a movie goer. A single console can be shared among multiple people. It's like saying Netflix only got 200 million users but we all know how common account sharing is. I'm sure that number will be far larger if those people could be counted.
    They really aren't anymore, the days when consoles were almost exclusively used by kids and families and thus shared is long past. The average age of people who own a playstation or xbox in the us is is 35...and at that age you're not likely sharing your games or system anymore. Are there still a lot of kids and families who own play stations? Sure...but are they playing Uncharted? Probably not in large numbers. So the numbers I posted remain accurate.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

I wouldn’t brag about paying to see Corvette Summer. But seriously, how has Mark Hamill’s career gone since Star Wars? Not that great.
    Mark Hamill really prove what I been saying.
    No he doesn't.

Unless you think voice acting is nothing.

Cree Summer while most folks know her from A Different World has been doing voice work since she played Penny on Inspector Gadget with her Dad.

Arthur just ended-Sonja Ball (Arthur's Mom) has never did a live action show or movie. She started at age 13. She is 65 this year.

She has worked nonstop since 1989. Cree and Phil Lamarr and the casts of The Simpsons, Family Guy, Arthur & American Dad can boast that type of work load. Maybe Tyler Perry can too.

Folks would love to have that long of steady work.

Batman will stay "R" in uk. No kids under 14 can see it even with a adult so they have lego sets and toys for a film uk kids can't even watch!

Sorry uk kids. No batman for you. They will affect batmans uk box office.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Batman will stay "R" in uk. No kids under 14 can see it even with a adult so they have lego sets and toys for a film uk kids can't even watch!

Sorry uk kids. No batman for you. They will affect batmans uk box office.
    That will be a 15 in the UK then, I guarantee plenty of kids will see it.

From the video uk will not allow any kid under 15 to even go into the showings at all. Not even with a adult so they have to wait for home release.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    From the video uk will not allow any kid under 15 to even go into the showings at all. Not even with a adult so they have to wait for home release.
    It's the same as an R rating here and plenty of kids see R rated movies

Again
    KIds in the uk CAN'T see R rated films in theatres EVEN with adults unlike america! NO kids allowed period.
    So no kids AT ALL in theatres in the uk. They will have to sneak in or wait for video release. That's why uk theatre chains were so upset. KIDS CAN'T GET IN TO SEE IT PERIOD. No even with a adult.