Page 145 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    After the awful WW 1984 and financial disappointment with the Suicide Squad (despite being a good movie imo), they can use a win in the DC movie department. Here's hoping this year's other DC movies also do well.
    The only problem is that if they don't do well, DC movies will fall into the same problem DC comics have in that they will get into the mindset that "Only Batman Sells."
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Ok, here's the latest info. and will serve as a correction and update to my previous post on the last page.

Sunday's box office came in higher than expected, which likely means word of mouth is positive for the movie. The new opening weekend tally is now $134 million, which also includes the previews (tied in with Friday's numbers per the link below). The global opening weekend figure now stands at $254 million with China opening March 18th and Russia not having an opening at this time.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...ed-1235197903/

Again, this movie has all kinds of room to leg it out with Spring Break in the U.S. hitting over the next couple weeks but arguably the biggest draw back for this film is its "hard" PG-13 rating. Apparently it's a bit of a slow burn at times and some of the violence in it is too much for most kids under 12 or so (parents, make the right decision for your children). We'll see if it can crack $1 billion as the first outing in what is likely going to be a new Batman trilogy.

People keep acting like movies need to break a billion to be a success these days. It's brought up too often.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    People keep acting like movies need to break a billion to be a success these days. It's brought up too often.
    It’s not due to no reason, though. This is a tentpole film, a $200 million one at that. WB course corrected with BvS when it didn’t hit $1 billion after a record opening followed by critic reviews. These comic book tentpoles have a massive measuring stick now and a billion is always that lucky number the studios like to see and gauge future projects with.

I personally don’t care if this movie his a billion. I just want good movies. Unfortunately, the studios want their money back first before greenlighting more associated projects.

Edit: having said that, I’m sure WB will be happy with this movie making in the 700s-800s but who knows.
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 03-07-2022 at 10:54 AM.

Some movies might have to break a billion, just to recoup the budgets, backend deals and marketing.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The Batman's budget is $180-200 million and the WB won't be needing $1 billion for this one to be a success like Justice League with its near $300 million budget.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Turning red getting a one week theatre showing in LA as well as new york to count for next years oscars.

https://southpasadenan.com/disney-an...pitan-theatre/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They call them "tent poles" because they hold up the entire studio's yearly lineups

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    They call them "tent poles" because they hold up the entire studio's yearly lineups
    Yeah, but they can still do that without cracking a billion. $800 million is damn respectable.

BANNED

The Batman's box office was much higher. it took in 134 million dollars.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ng-1235104983/

The big task now is for the movie to have legs. I sure hope the 3 hours does not weigh people down from seeing it again. I plan on seeing it again with my siblings when they have time off work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    The Batman's box office was much higher. it took in 134 million dollars.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ng-1235104983/

The big task now is for the movie to have legs. I sure hope the 3 hours does not weigh people down from seeing it again. I plan on seeing it again with my siblings when they have time off work.
    Movie has 2 full weeks before The Lost City, the next remotely headlines worthy new movie (Channing Tatum already surprised with Dog so I personally hope adding Sandra Bullock, Brad Pitt and Harry Potter to the mix will be the end of a box office lit fuse) so that's a lot of room for it, long running time or not.

In fact 3 hours would have been more than enough time to annoy folks away from its debut weekend but the 86% Certified Fresh RT score and the A- Cinemascore tell me the movie worked more often than not.

I feel it could make box office numbers similar to No Time to Die and be a big hit for the studio, not having to deal with that movie's production and pandemic delays rising cost issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The only problem is that if they don't do well, DC movies will fall into the same problem DC comics have in that they will get into the mindset that "Only Batman Sells."
    Are you saying DC comics only sells batman comics? I assure you it's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I do think the box office has benefited from mask mandates being dropped all over the country, leading folks to think the pandemic isn't a concern at the moment. Not that a Batman movie was likely to have trouble raking in money. But nevertheless congrats to WB. After the awful WW 1984 and financial disappointment with the Suicide Squad (despite being a good movie imo), they can use a win in the DC movie department. Here's hoping this year's other DC movies also do well.
    WW84 and the Suicide Squad were both wins for HBO max

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    They sell a few titles that don't feature Batman or his supporting cast...but Batman titles do make up the bulk of their best sellers.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Around half of their monthly publishing line has a Bat-related character in them. If you look at their top selling books, the overwhelming bulk of them are Bat-related.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans