Page 15 of 420 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    You’re kidding? This film would have made tons of money. The theaters’ stranglehold over the studios is over, studio don’t have to share the money with them. Cable TV killed the drive-in, now Streaming TV is killing the walk-in.
    Hamilton was made with footage from live theater performances.

I would venture to guess a film like this would at minimum get $300 million. I would venture to say it would show at certain theaters versus others. In other words I would not expect to see it in the theater near me. Now near my school-yes because that one charges way more.

Especially where they planned to release it-at the start of the unholy holiday threesome of Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Also EXPECT it to get purchases from schools and libraries. We eat these films for LUNCH to get in our film collections.

BANNED

Hamilton is a very popular play, the most popular play in Broadway history. Most of us can’t go to NY to see this play in person, I’m pretty sure this film would have gotten a wide release.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I agree with the last part. The question is what happens after we get a vaccine.
    Movie theaters are going to be very different thats for sure if they come back and I'm sure they will some how it'll be very different every thing will shops resdarants it's all going to change.

BANNED

I agree with the last part. The question is what happens after we get a vaccine.
    I think things has changed forever, movies theaters are only going to be for blockbusters. But even then people are still going to be weary about going. Ticket prices will have to be cut. The food prices will have to cut a lot for people to comeback. I think folks are realising that watching movies at home is not a bad deal. New technology has always changed our behaviour and cultural habits. Eventually the movie theaters was going to disappear anyway, this virus just speeded up that process. With new technology, things change, that just the way the world works. I don’t want to see the theaters (as we know them) disappear either, but I have accepted the fact that it will in our lifetime. Every movie is now going to VOD, as the studios’ streaming services ramp up these movie will become Direct-to-Customer.
    Last edited by luprki; 05-14-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Ultimate Member

With the way people are reacting to re-opening, I don’t think much will be changed with cinema going. Bars, clubs and beaches are filled up in places where lockdowns are only partially lifted. The only reason VOD (and Netflix is experiencing a boom) is because of the global lockdown. It’s literally the only reason, as soon as that’s over, that’ll be the end of the current boom. People have work and other things to do, VOD and streaming is a very effective distraction from a bad situation at the moment but that’s the caveat- at the moment.

Once cinemas are allowed to re-open and the blockbuster movies start coming, lots of people will go back in. Cinema going is a culture and isn’t just about going to see the movie, it’s about the entire experience.

Family movies and children oriented movies will likely experience a slump for the short to medium term but other than that, I don’t expect much difference. People need somewhere to go and movie theaters will always be a good avenue to have fun.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-14-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Drive ins are reopening and one of the movies they are showings is trolls world tour! It made it to the big screen after all!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Hamilton was made with footage from live theater performances.

I would venture to guess a film like this would at minimum get $300 million. I would venture to say it would show at certain theaters versus others. In other words I would not expect to see it in the theater near me. Now near my school-yes because that one charges way more.

Especially where they planned to release it-at the start of the unholy holiday threesome of Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Also EXPECT it to get purchases from schools and libraries. We eat these films for LUNCH to get in our film collections.
    I don’t know...Hamilton, filmed stage play, seems like something that would only play for a ‘special event’, couple weekends. Hamilton the movie version of the play could make 300 million.

BANNED

Andrew Lloyd Webber' s Phantom of the Opera was a professionally produced cinema production of the stage play. It managed 150 million worldwide. Doesn't seem reasonable that a filmed stage play could do much better.

The two biggest in recent years were Chicago and Les Mis. Chicago made $300 million and Les Mis a little over $400 mil. Both big cinematic productions with big stars. The idea that a filmed stage production, that usually gets a special showings through Fathom would make $300 mil is ludicrous. The actual film version? who knows? Cats anyone?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Hamilton is the most popular play in history. Unlike other stage films Hamilton is pop culture and uses modern popular music style. The theaters has lost a lot of money on this one.

Now along with Disney+, this year will launch the Peacock (NBCUniversal) and HBOMAX (Warner Brothers). Unfortunately there will be a lot of theaters closing their doors. Their are three AMC Theaters close to where I live. I bet two of them will be closing. It’s not going to be enough people going to movies to support all three theaters.

The two biggest in recent years were Chicago and Les Mis. Chicago made $300 million and Les Mis a little over $400 mil. Both big cinematic productions with big stars. The idea that a filmed stage production, that usually gets a special showings through Fathom would make $300 mil is ludicrous. The actual film version? who knows? Cats anyone?
    Cats has alot of asterisks next to it though tbf

Movies chains are opening back up in july!

Also like china we are getting classic films rereleased as well.

Paramount is taking a vote on the films you want on the big screen in july and winning so far are--grease, transformers 1, wolf of wall street, and intersteller.

https://twitter.com/ParamountPics?re...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Expect more studios to follow. If they get enough people asking on their twitter and facebook g-kids may releasing studio ghibili films like spirited away and totoro also!

Why would people return to theaters when instant VOD is now a thing? Universal already announced it, others will follow suit. Theaters only advantage up to now was their exclusivity window.

The same reason drive ins are doing so well they are building new ones. People want out of their house for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The same reason drive ins are doing so well they are building new ones. People want out of their house for a bit.
    I can see a small number of theaters staying around as a nostalgia experience, sure.