Page 156 of 420 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well ...we have to remember Eternals wasn't successful. Its why Disney hasn't really said anything about another film for it given the box office last fall was not good and likely lost money. (And this was as the country had opened more up).
    As stated above. By the other poster. We are so jaded now that a movie that did better at the box office than any other movie except other Marvel movies didn't do well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    While F9 didn't do $1+ billion at box office as the last couple films have done , it still was a hit film for them. The pandemic took a major hit on it as the world was slowly opening up that summer 2021. By the fall more was open by time Eternals hit. Both films had budgets over $200+ million (F9 could have been $225). Its just F9 made over $726 million by final mark.

One film series will continue with at least 2 more films as we know in Fast series. The other may not.

Which sucks because I really wanted Black Knight to be showing up in mainstream films now. lol

Again Eternals wasn't released in China either. And F9 was. And Eternals was a brand new property still released at a weird time, and still did better domestically than any other movie except F9 and other marvel films. Heck I am not saying Eternals was amazing or anything. But we are now at a point where if an MCU film isn't in the top 5 movies of the year it failed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    As stated above. By the other poster. We are so jaded now that a movie that did better at the box office than any other movie except other Marvel movies didn't do well.
    Because of the Marvel brand. But studios make decisions based on all the variables on the table. It's why Dune is getting a sequel that is guaranteed to be marketed to be watched on IMAX on account of the Oscars it won.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Because of the Marvel brand. But studios make decisions based on all the variables on the table. It's why Dune is getting a sequel that is guaranteed to be marketed to be watched on IMAX on account of the Oscars it won.
    Which just shows how big the MCU brand is. Never seen anything like it. And probably none of us ever will again. They are like the Beatles of the Box office except they didn't break up after 8 years.

Astonishing Member

Which just shows how big the MCU brand is. Never seen anything like it. And probably none of us ever will again. They are like the Beatles of the Box office except they didn't break up after 8 years.
    Eternals just not being a great example to keep bringing up about them being infallible, what with getting themselves their first RT Rotten entry (I don't care about scores excessively but Certified Fresh ones can make it to BD covers so others do enough) and a financial flop that as I recall didn't have streaming availability to excuse for it. The domestic box office seems good until one realizes the bad company it keeps within Marvel (the Incredible Hulk movie from yesteryear which was also not considered successful in its own time).

I don't forget "look at Guardians" being an easy go to answer before the movie came out, regarding how well those characters could possibly do in a movie.

Astonishing Member

Eternals just not being a great example to keep bringing up about them being infallible, what with getting themselves their first RT Rotten entry (I don't care about scores excessively but Certified Fresh ones can make it to BD covers so others do enough) and a financial flop that as I recall didn't have streaming availability to excuse for it. The domestic box office seems good until one realizes the bad company it keeps within Marvel (the Incredible Hulk movie from yesteryear which was also not considered successful in its own time).

I don't forget "look at Guardians" being an easy go to answer before the movie came out, regarding how well those characters could possibly do in a movie.

Heck as someone else mentioned you are gonna have some slip ups but its not a trend. Depending on this pandemic Marvel is probably looking at 3 billion dollar movies this year. Which is just wacky. I mean its sort of expected at this point. They have had like 25 movies or something and two didn't do great. I guess one could argue first Cap and Thor didn't do great either but that was at the beginning of all of this.

Eternals did 400 million stop saying it didn't do good it probably made a 100 million in profit.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Eternals did 400 million stop saying it didn't do good it probably made a 100 million in profit.
    It probably didn't. These movies split the profits with the cinemas (I believe 50:50 in the US but international theatres get more than that) plus they spend at least 100 million in marketing.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Again Eternals wasn't released in China either. And F9 was. And Eternals was a brand new property still released at a weird time, and still did better domestically than any other movie except F9 and other marvel films. Heck I am not saying Eternals was amazing or anything. But we are now at a point where if an MCU film isn't in the top 5 movies of the year it failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Eternals cost $200 million budget. The film only did $164+ domestically. The rest of that $400 million was international and studios don't get all that money either. This doesn't even take in promotion etc of the film which was more spent. Compare this to Shang-Chi that also didn't get a Chinese release and yet performed better and had a budget between $150-200 million and Disney already approved a sequel.

Marvel has been hitting Home runs for years. They have rolled the dice and won gambling on less known characters like Guardians of Galaxy , Ant Man and Shang-Chi. They just had a rare deal where they struck out at the plate.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It probably didn't. These movies split the profits with the cinemas (I believe 50:50 in the US but international theatres get more than that) plus they spend at least 100 million in marketing.
    Not sure it had a $100 million in marketing (although that is the average for big budget films normally). But Eternals, if it was lucky to have made anything, would have been minimal at best. $200 million on it was, in my opinion, far too much. It should have been made for $50 million less.

We may possibly get a sequel. But it won't be any time soon. Marvel may also go a different route and pick those threads up elsewhere.

Astonishing Member

Strange up to 507 million worldwide. In less than a week.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

The original post had nothing to do with Marvel being infallible or Eternals. I brought that up among a long list of D- and Z-list characters. The original post had to do with how Marvel has been so successful that expectations are set sky high that folks don't think DS2 box office is that big a deal.

The original post before I unintentionally started this tangent ...
    What I kind of find amazing is this is a Doctor strange movie I mean Doctor strange. And its flying toward a billion without China or Russia and people are like Huh. Ok. LOL

Strange up to 507 million worldwide. In less than a week.
    The original Doctor Strange made $677,796,076 worldwide total. It will surpass that by the end of this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Not sure it had a $100 million in marketing (although that is the average for big budget films normally). But Eternals, if it was lucky to have made anything, would have been minimal at best. $200 million on it was, in my opinion, far too much. It should have been made for $50 million less.

We may possibly get a sequel. But it won't be any time soon. Marvel may also go a different route and pick those threads up elsewhere.
    I think it was too ambitious for its own good plus the like of China for any sequels makes it too much of a gamble.

You know I haven't really been following new Hollywood movies for a while, but I just was talking with my brother (who is a HUGE movie buff), and he told me that the new Top Gun movie is receiving RAVE reviews. He told me it's gonna do really well at the box office, and I believe him. Nostalgia is a HUGE draw these days. I was pretty skeptical that this film would actually work because it's been a long time since the last one came out, but you gotta respect Tom Cruise's star power. That dude just doesn't participate in bombs anymore it seems. In terms of music, it's gonna be hard to top Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" though!

My bro also was wondering if that new Elvis biopic will do well in theaters though. I'm a HUGE fan of Presley, but his music isn't played that much on the radio these days (do folks here still listen to radio?). It's not like the music of Queen which gets a LOT of airplay and I think that definitely helped Bohemian Rhapsody become a big hit a few years back. So we'll see Elvis is still a draw for moviegoers.

The MCU is doing fine, but I think Top Gun will be just as well-received as No Way Home. Nostalgia doesn't always have to be used in a cynical way. Audiences can see that. I'm not sure if Eternals and Black Widow made money. These movies cost a bundle to make. I think Feige was smart to push the MoM into May for its release month. Five months of no MCU movie content built up a lot of anticipation for Strange 2 (in my opinion). Gives people a longer timeframe to catch up on stuff and fights off superhero fatigue.