Page 163 of 420 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173213263 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Jw makes $15m in china. Everywhere at once now the studios highest grossing film.

Top gun hitting $600m ww. Batman ends its domestic run at $3.69,3m.

Morbius ends it's run at $72,8m.

Also in japan dragonball opens. How will it do fighting ultraman?

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Doctor Strange 2 and The Death of the MCU Solidified Or Something something MCU Dead 1 Billion
    I think it's ridiculous that people think a film grossing over a billion dollars is some kind of standard for success. Disney/Marvel doing it multiple times only in the past decade alone is a remarkable feat. That will never be matched again (possibly even by themselves). The MCU is absolutely NOT dead. It still has a huge fanbase and tons of stories and characters that can sustain for many years (unlike other franchises such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, James Bond, and Law & Order which are pretty successful as well). The MoM doing so well commercially despite being headlined by a couple of D-list Marvel characters and being banned in many countries is a remarkable achievement. But Top: Gun Maverick is just too much of a cultural phenomenon to compete against. I think Strange 2 will be quickly forgotten and Maverick will probably be the biggest movie of 2022 (and Tom Cruise's career).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I think it's ridiculous that people think a film grossing over a billion dollars is some kind of standard for success. Disney/Marvel doing it multiple times only in the past decade alone is a remarkable feat. That will never be matched again (possibly even by themselves). The MCU is absolutely NOT dead. It still has a huge fanbase and tons of stories and characters that can sustain for many years (unlike other franchises such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, James Bond, and Law & Order which are pretty successful as well). The MoM doing so well commercially despite being headlined by a couple of D-list Marvel characters and being banned in many countries is a remarkable achievement. But Top: Gun Maverick is just too much of a cultural phenomenon to compete against. I think Strange 2 will be quickly forgotten and Maverick will probably be the biggest movie of 2022 (and Tom Cruise's career).

The whole thing is ridiculous. Doctor Strange 2 made more than spider-man far from home( the second marvel spidey movie from 2019) domestically at the box office and if released in China and Russia it would have easily passed a billion. People are being stupid. Its literally the 2nd biggest movie world wide in the last 3 years only behind spider-man no way home which was one of the biggest movies of all time. This movie passed movies like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 both domestically and worldwide. And it wasn't released in China. Anyone who says anything about something like this not being super successful is high. Its currently 14th all time for comic book movies domestic and looks like it will end up 10th or around there. Its 15th worldwide. With no release in China and Russia. Which is crazy. If it had those markets its easy in top ten ever. What its done without China and Russia is nothing short of remarkable.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 06-11-2022 at 12:07 AM.

Astonishing Member

Don't call people stupid?

The group primarily responsible for propagating this toxic idea are MCU fans though.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The group primarily responsible for propagating this toxic idea are MCU fans though.
    What with Marvel happily spending around $200 million bux on big movies before marketing but not all of them being guaranteed to make even twice that in North America their best market. When "billion dollar club" golden tickets can't be shown around freely, the worst fan jitters set in.

FRIDAY AFTERNOON UPDATE: Jurassic World Dominion looks to be critic proof against all those bad reviews with a $55.5M opening day and projected $132.5M 3-day at 4,676 theaters. If that holds, it will be the third best start for Jurassic movie after Jurassic World ($208.8M) and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ($148M). That first day includes those $18M in previews.

RelishMix says that the social media chatter “runs mixed-positive” with “a tone of urgency from Jurassic brand-fans who are dying to see the story of the reunion of lead cast members and the techno-VRF evolution of Spielberg’s 1993 masterpiece. Critical hecklers think that the show has jumped the shark, as an odd social warning of how this incarnation will derail as an ‘over produced spectacle’ — which sounds exactly what fans are ready for.”

Meanwhile, Paramount/Skydance’s Top Gun: Maverick isn’t getting trampled by the dinosaurs with a $14M third Friday, -44% from a week ago and a third weekend of $50M, -44%, at 4,262 for a running total of $393.6M.

Disney’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is third at 3,345 with a $5M sixth weekend, repping a 45% decline and running total of $398M.

Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s The Bad Guys is fourth with $700K today, -27% from a week ago, and an eighth weekend take of $2.4M, -28% for a running cume by EOD Sunday of $91.6M.

20th Century Studios/Disney’s The Bob’s Burgers Movie, booked at 2,605, is seeing $2M in its third weekend, a 50% decline, and a running total by Sunday of $26.75M.
    https://deadline.com/2022/06/jurassi...ce-1235042811/

Ultimate Member

Interestingly Top Gun will be around $4m ($393m) off Dr Strange 2 ($397m) by the end of this weekend domestically and it should pass it next week.

That's the power of good word of mouth and excellent reviews.

Jurassic world heading to $386m world wide. Top gun 2 flies past batmans box office at $700m ww.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Yeah. I don't think MCU stans need to get so defensive if the Marvel movies/shows are not THAT well-received. Disney's entitled to have a flop every now and then. I think Strange 2 was held back by the fact that apparently it was pretty violent for an MCU property and the word of mouth wasn't so good. It's very expensive to make these MCU pictures so they need to make a lotta money at the box office to make it worth their while.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    The whole thing is ridiculous. Doctor Strange 2 made more than spider-man far from home( the second marvel spidey movie from 2019) domestically at the box office and if released in China and Russia it would have easily passed a billion. People are being stupid. Its literally the 2nd biggest movie world wide in the last 3 years only behind spider-man no way home which was one of the biggest movies of all time. This movie passed movies like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 both domestically and worldwide. And it wasn't released in China. Anyone who says anything about something like this not being super successful is high. Its currently 14th all time for comic book movies domestic and looks like it will end up 10th or around there. Its 15th worldwide. With no release in China and Russia. Which is crazy. If it had those markets its easy in top ten ever. What its done without China and Russia is nothing short of remarkable.
    I think if Strange 2 was tweaked just a little bit, it could have easily reached over a billion dollars in box office receipts. Apparently the movie was a bit bloated and I actually don't think this will be a problem with Thor 4 and Ms. Marvel. There was just too much expectations after NWH.

Astonishing Member

I think Strange 2 was held back by the fact that apparently it was pretty violent for an MCU property and the word of mouth wasn't so good.
    Haven't seen it myself but probably way too violent for the younger kids. If they tweaked it a bit it would have passed a billion with all the young kids who missed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Haven't seen it myself but probably way too violent for the younger kids. If they tweaked it a bit it would have passed a billion with all the young kids who missed out.
    Yeah, making the MoM a bit more "family-friendly" would probably would have been better for Strange 2 (in terms of box office revenue). That's why I'm opposed to making Blade, Deadpool, Ghost Rider and Daredevil (amongst others) too dark in nature.

Astonishing Member

I think if Strange 2 was tweaked just a little bit, it could have easily reached over a billion dollars in box office receipts. Apparently the movie was a bit bloated and I actually don't think this will be a problem with Thor 4 and Ms. Marvel. There was just too much expectations after NWH.
    You realize there has only been 8 mcu movies to ever go over a billion right? The three avenger movies, Iron Man 3, Cap 3, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and spider man no way home. All had releases in China except No way home. Now three of those were the conclusions to a trilogy. Iron man and Cap 3 and No way home. Two of those were groundbreaking Captain Marvel and Black panther. And thats it. Captain marvel alone made 150 million in china. Cap 3 made 180 million in China. People think billion dollar movies grow on trees without China. Thats not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    You realize there has only been 8 mcu movies to ever go over a billion right? The three avenger movies, Iron Man 3, Cap 3, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and spider man no way home. All had releases in China except No way home. Now three of those were the conclusions to a trilogy. Iron man and Cap 3 and No way home. Two of those were groundbreaking Captain Marvel and Black panther. And thats it. Captain marvel alone made 150 million in china. Cap 3 made 180 million in China. People think billion dollar movies grow on trees without China. Thats not the case.
    Only EIGHT?! To me it feels like at least half of them made that much. I haven't been keeping track. But Marvel/Disney achieved this in UNDER ten years! That's incredible. I still think Strange 2 gets a billion if Marvel Studios made it more "family-friendly". Quite easily. Which they have done for almost fifteen years. I understand they wanna do something different and new, but sometimes you just don't wanna mess with that sweet "formula". I hope Disney tones down Blade, Ghost Rider and Daredevil.