Page 167 of 420 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217267 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Ultimate Member

I think it's worth pointing out now that Top Gun Maverick is now the highest-grossing film domestic this summer.

Also, it seems that Lightyear is coming in second to Jurassic World. I definitely didn't see that coming.

After the failure of this Lightyear movie, I don't think people can ignore the total collapse of Disney animation anymore. We use to have films that regularly made 500 to more than a billion. Now they are now lucky to reach 300 mill... Why was Turning Red, a movie that had genuinely positive groundswell for it, shunted to the D+ mines and effectively made a box office flop and why was 200 mill spent on Lightyear?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    After the failure of this Lightyear movie, I don't think people can ignore the total collapse of Disney animation anymore. We use to have films that regularly made 500 to more than a billion. Now they are now lucky to reach 300 mill... Why was Turning Red, a movie that had genuinely positive groundswell for it, shunted to the D+ mines and effectively made a box office flop and why was 200 mill spent on Lightyear?
    Well Lightyear was a spin-off of a $1+ billion dollar franchise in Toy Story as we saw. Its gonna get that nod because Disney executives believe it can be sold.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Lightyear I can understand (although that price tag is a bit too high for my taste).

Turning Red should have been left in theaters and just NOW be on D+. $175 million??? you staying in someone's theater no matter war, inflation or Covid.

Also we are still in a pandemic. So that is still an issue.

And with inflation & gas... a BUNCH of films are going to catch it in the box office in some areas.

Don't let bad reviews come out on a film.

Fantastic Member

Timing and market saturation....Jurassic Park even though it's a terrible film people are still going out to see it. We've also had Sonic and The Bad Guys come out and do well

Lightyear is also a out of canon side movie spin-off that's not the same kind of story as the main films. In fact a big comment from reviewers are "it's not like the toy story films." Those are risky. You can strike gold like minions are flop like the mib spin-off.

Turning red should have been released to theatres full before lightyear hands down.

Rescue rangers should have got a full theatre release as planned also.

Both could have done well but now we will never know.

Worse is bob may see this and go "see pixar films need to go to disney plus."

In top gun news it Made $40m on it's 4th weekend. Only the 4th film in history to do it behind avatar, star wars fa and black panther and more incredible top gun hit first place in japan--against a new dragonball z film! That is incredible!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 06-19-2022 at 07:07 AM.

Ultimate Member

Top Gun Maverick could actually hit $600m domestic at the pace it's going.

Wow..

Mighty Member

That really surprises me, Top Gun 2 Maverk doing well.Is it really that good

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Well it's not particularly deep if you compare it to all-time war/military movies. And I don't how how good of a sequel to Top Gun is (I don't think I ever watched the original, but the movie tells you what you need to know about it) but it totally works as a fun summer blockbuster. That's where the great word of mouth should be coming from.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    If it won Best Picture at the Oscars it would be mid-level. It's quality wise on the level of Return of the King and Gladiator

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Lightyear is also a out of canon side movie spin-off that's not the same kind of story as the main films. In fact a big comment from reviewers are "it's not like the toy story films." Those are risky. You can strike gold like minions are flop like the mib spin-off.

Turning red should have been released to theatres full before lightyear hands down.

Rescue rangers should have got a full theatre release as planned also.

Both could have done well but now we will never know.

Worse is bob may see this and go "see pixar films need to go to disney plus."
    I'm not planning to see Lightyear because it isn't my thing (but the trailer looked great in a movie screen), but I would have caught a showing for Rescue Rangers out of nostalgia.

Lightyear is ultimately about how the movie Andy saw as a kid wasn't that much of a draw for audiences. If Minions kicks butt and Lightyears continues to do mediocre business, that'll be confirmed.

I really don't like this Luthor-looking Chapek fella that might turn Pixar movies into modern direct to video releases.

At least Doc Strange 2 is a big hit and Feige indicated he doesn't regret letting Raimi run the horrorshow so we could see more risks taking over there. I'm looking forward to Thunderbolts if it takes big cues from Ellis Thunderbolts/Bendis Dark Avengers comics.

In top gun news it Made $40m on it's 4th weekend. Only the 4th film in history to do it behind avatar, star wars fa and black panther and more incredible top gun hit first place in japan--against a new dragonball z film! That is incredible!
    I see that happened because instead of dropping this weekend, the Japanese box office went up 8.5% from last weekend.

That's what happens when you have exceptional word of mouth. Maverick is the Joker of aviator films now.

What's funny about Lightyear is that in the Toy Story universe the joke is that it's a terrible film made to sell merchandise. So Pixar actually went ahead and made Lightyear and told everyone that this was the film that made Andy buy the toy...and it turns out to be a terrible film made to sell merchandise that appears to be a flop. So I can't decide if Pixar is really devoted to canon or if Lightyear is just terrible.

It's the ultimate get out of jail free card. They can actually say it's supposed to be terrible and we would have to take them at their word because they laid the groundwork for it. It's all rather brilliant when you really think about it. Morbius has nothing on this.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-20-2022 at 12:02 AM. Reason: BRILLIANT!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    If it won Best Picture at the Oscars it would be mid-level. It's quality wise on the level of Return of the King and Gladiator
    Next to Maverick these two movies look like Citizen Kane...
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What's funny about Lightyear is that in the Toy Story universe the joke is that it's a terrible film made to sell merchandise. So Pixar actually went ahead and made Lightyear and told everyone that this was the film that made Andy buy the toy...and it turns out to be a terrible film made to sell merchandise that appears to be a flop. So I can't decide if Pixar is really devoted to canon or if Lightyear is just terrible.

It's the ultimate get out of jail free card. They can actually say it's supposed to be terrible and we would have to take them at their word because they laid the groundwork for it. It's all rather brilliant when you really think about it. Morbius has nothing on this.
    So it's a movie with in a movie? Funny I thought it was about the real light-year who inspired the toy or whatever.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    So it's a movie with in a movie? Funny I thought it was about the real light-year who inspired the toy or whatever.
    It's the Lightyear movie that Andy watched in Toy Story. I think that fact has been lost on some viewers who perceived it as a spin off from Toy Story.