Page 17 of 420 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    The advantage of theaters is one that VOD will never be able to touch. The sense of participating in an event.

There is still waaaay too much crappy stuff making its debut on video for high quality, big budget movies to risk being associated with that mix. And people will continue to want to stand in line, buy $9 popcorn, and cheer and cry with a crowd any time The Next Big Movie is released. People want to share the experience, and that's not likely to change any time soon.

Granted, I think the theaters are trying to rush people back a bit too early, and many chains will go under, be bought and repurposed. But when the crisis is over, they'll be back, perhaps stronger than ever as people seek to regain what they lost for so long.

I don't know that I support chains that boycott Universal for releasing straight to VOD, but if Universal continues to do that after it's safe, it would be a bigger problem for Universal than theaters.

It will be interesting to see the showdown if the situation is still occurring on the release date of No Time To Die. I suspect by then Universal will have already given in and we won't see that film on VOD until mid-2021
    I think you're overestimating the "want to participate in an event" thing. I don't think most people want to hang out with strangers in a theater. They do it because they have to.

Sure, people want to get out of the house. The theater experience has perks and its rituals that are nice. I'm not saying there is no place for movie theaters any more. I just don't think it's the preference for most people on most occasions.

BANNED

Before the pandemic, except for a blockbuster, did anybody go to movie theaters. Not to many people did go.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Before the pandemic, except for a blockbuster, did anybody go to movie theaters. Not to many people did go.
    I went and saw Invisible Man on date night.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I remember a good crowd when I saw The Post a couple of years ago. But then, that was a Steven Spielberg film, and he's golden at the box office.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Movie industry has been having a bunch of consecutive "more profit than ever" years.

That said, you have a point, while more people were coming to the big blockbuster stuff, the mid to low budget type films seemed to be slowly dying off. (With the exception of the Horror genre)

Astonishing Member

Thats true. Horror movies do sell. Its cool again to see a horror movie in the cinema. And blockbuster. But aside from that? I wouldn't volunteer to see anything else than a blockbuster for that ticket price today. If someone invites me I wouldn't mind.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Do I live in an alternate universe where ticket prices aren't super high like everyone seems to complain about? It's only 9 bucks at the Showcase theater by me(before the virus) the AMC I sometimes go to in Boston is only 10.75 and even in NYC where everything is more expensive movie tickets were only slightly higher at around 13 bucks...which isn't going to break the bank even if you tack on soda and popcorn.

Looking at the 2019 box office, movies that made a good profit that weren't "blockbusters" were The Upside, Ford vs Ferrari, Downton Abbey, Rocketman, Yesterday.'' So there was room for these types of movies. Whether they will come pack while Covid is with us is still an open question.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Do I live in an alternate universe where ticket prices aren't super high like everyone seems to complain about? It's only 9 bucks at the Showcase theater by me(before the virus) the AMC I sometimes go to in Boston is only 10.75 and even in NYC where everything is more expensive movie tickets were only slightly higher at around 13 bucks...which isn't going to break the bank even if you tack on soda and popcorn.
    Other than cheap rates that might be available at certain theatres on a weekday in the afternoon, most movies in Vancouver, Canada, cost about $20 (with tax). Of course, IMAX costs a lot more. Granted that with the exchange rate, they might need to have a higher ticket price, but even considering that, the ticket prices are way more. As with everything else in Canada it seems. And don't get me started on the cost of pop and popcorn at the theatre. One movie chain offers a "Scene" pass where you collect points and you get discounts on the pictures and concession at their theatres, but I haven't got one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Other than cheap rates that might be available at certain theatres on a weekday in the afternoon, most movies in Vancouver, Canada, cost about $20 (with tax). Of course, IMAX costs a lot more. Granted that with the exchange rate, they might need to have a higher ticket price, but even considering that, the ticket prices are way more. As with everything else in Canada it seems. And don't get me started on the cost of pop and popcorn at the theatre. One movie chain offers a "Scene" pass where you collect points and you get discounts on the pictures and concession at their theatres, but I haven't got one yet.
    I stopped buying 25 cents worth of popcorn for $7 at the movies a long time ago.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

Personally, I don't usually buy anything at the concession now. In the old days, when there were nice community art houses, they had some really good food and the cost of a ticket was low. And when I lived in Edmonton, I had an apartment above a vintage second run theatre where my friends worked--they would let me in for free and I would get free coffee and popcorn. Those were the days.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm not saying you can't find 20 dollar tickt prices in Vancouver...but the average ticket price listed on line is 14.95.

Japan using Weathering with you and akira to help japan movies theaters. Kind of surprised they didn't use spirited away, your name, and the one piece, detective conan (who beat the pants off avengers 2 overseas) and doraemon films to help. Frozen, tangled and the original animated alice in wonderland are well liked there also so those might have been good choices.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-japan/.160670

AMC looking to wonder woman and spider-man to help save and restart movie chains.

Wonder woman and into the spider-verse return to the big screen july 15.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/wonder-woman-64607
    https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/s...er-verse-64606

American sniper and inception also returning to amc and some chains will show lord of the rings, raiders of the lost ark, spaceballs (!!!), back to the future and kiki's delivery service. (i would have picked spirited away or totoro myself.)