Page 176 of 420 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Thats another angle I didnt want to address.

There's been massive push back against Disney and Marvel by extension from the anti-SJW, anti-woke types. It started with Captain Marvel and crystallised when Phase 4 was announced to feature more diversity.

Those guys are still stuck in 2016.
    Case in point last time I will post these vids on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    If people think there is too much content and they are not enjoying everything as much there is a simple solution.

STOP! Just stop. You don’t have to watch every movie or show. Just because they make it doesn’t mean you are compelled to consume it. STOP!

Take a break. Do something else with your time and money. Find something you enjoy and stop punishing yourself. The content will always be there if you feel the need to come back to it. You don’t have to watch it all.
    But what about all the hours viewers ALREADY have committed to watching these MCU properties in the past couple of years? I've spent many of them watching these shows and movies. I subscribed on to Disney Plus in order to watch Marvel content. To quit after a significant amount of financial and time commitments before reaching the end of the story is a waste of "sunk" costs. And I can't even skip the stuff I might not be interested in:

"The simple solution could be to skip certain Disney Plus shows or movies that don’t personally appeal, but this is a lot trickier than it sounds when you consider the interconnected nature of the MCU. What’s to say that a plot point or new character introduced in Moon Knight or Hawkeye won’t become vitally important to understanding the next flagship team-up movie?"

If I wanna take a "time out", it will be IMPOSSIBLE for me (and others such as myself) to catch up later as Disney/Marvel continues to flood televisions and theaters with their content. I actually WANT to watch all the stuff Marvel puts out. I happily and eagerly did during the first three Phases. It's great to immerse oneself in a cinematic universe (and one so unique, interesting and original as the MCU). I just would prefer it to be a bit smaller like it was before.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 07-11-2022 at 04:52 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    But what about all the hours viewers ALREADY have committed to watching these MCU properties in the past couple of years? I've spent many of them watching these shows and movies. I subscribed on to Disney Plus in order to watch Marvel content. To quit after a significant amount of financial and time commitments before reaching the end of the story is a waste of "sunk" costs. And I can't even skip the stuff I might not be interested in:

"The simple solution could be to skip certain Disney Plus shows or movies that don’t personally appeal, but this is a lot trickier than it sounds when you consider the interconnected nature of the MCU. What’s to say that a plot point or new character introduced in Moon Knight or Hawkeye won’t become vitally important to understanding the next flagship team-up movie?"

If I wanna take a "time out", it will be IMPOSSIBLE for me (and others such as myself) to catch up later as Disney/Marvel continues to flood televisions and theaters with their content. I actually WANT to watch all the stuff Marvel puts out. I happily and eagerly did during the first three Phases. It's great to immerse oneself in a cinematic universe (and one so unique, interesting and original as the MCU). I just would prefer it to be a bit smaller like it was before.
    I say this respectfully but you’ve put that burden on yourself. Not even Marvel expects everyone to watch everything that’s why they have those shows on D+ to catch you up on stuff.

Do you think everyone that saw MoM watched WandaVision? My sister didn’t and she still enjoyed that movie. You can still enjoy the MCU without being a completionist.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This sounds more like a "you" problem than a "them" problem.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Thats another angle I didnt want to address.

There's been massive push back against Disney and Marvel by extension from the anti-SJW, anti-woke types. It started with Captain Marvel and crystallised when Phase 4 was announced to feature more diversity.

Those guys are still stuck in 2016.
    Nah, there's nothing "massive" about it. The "anti-woke" people are probably thousands out of millions which is really tiny.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

It's 2022. The internet exists. Anything that has any impact on another movie or show will get talked about on one of the many, many websites that cover these things. And that's if the scenes themselves don't get posted online, which they almost always do. You don't need to spend 2-6hrs catching up on a movie or show you don't want to watch just to not get lost on upcoming stuff.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    I say this respectfully but you’ve put that burden on yourself. Not even Marvel expects everyone to watch everything that’s why they have those shows on D+ to catch you up on stuff.

Do you think everyone that saw MoM watched WandaVision? My sister didn’t and she still enjoyed that movie. You can still enjoy the MCU without being a completionist.
    I understand your position, but isn't the whole point of a cinematic universe to be immersed in all its components? Or at least most of them? What I'm trying to say is that Disney had a killer formula in the 2010s when it came to their Marvel films. Two or three movies a year spread out several months apart let hype build up between projects. The focus on a few key characters and then a slow build up after that allowed all sorts of people to engage in the MCU in a way that had/has never been done before. FOX, Sony and WB were rightly mocked for trying to rush their world-building and not give their characters proper introductions like the MCU did. I think three movies a year is NOT gonna cause fatigue. But since Disney needs subs for its streaming service, a couple of Marvel shows a year could work. Marvel could release two two-hour films each year for A-list characters and actors/actresses. And on Disney Plus they could release two shorter television series featuring more D-list characters and actors/actresses. They could make them two to three hours each in length and cut down on introducing too many characters in those shows. Maybe even release these shows through physical media so folks who don't have access to Disney Plus could get access to them. What I'm trying to say is that three five-hour (plus) Disney Plus shows in addition to three Marvel live-action movies (usually two hours long) per year is a LOT for average viewers in my opinion. And people might miss stuff they actually like if they pick and choose content to watch. Nobody thought the Guardians would do so great. But let's not forget, there wasn't as much selection of Marvel content ten years ago and audiences were sort of "forced" to watch it. I think the Guardians would get lost in the shuffle today. And that would be a huge shame in my view. And with so many things going on at the same time, it's impossible now for Marvel to plug leaks and avoid spoilers. I'm glad your sister enjoyed the MoM, but there are still PLENTY of people I know who watched Strange 2 (without watching WandaVision) who were extremely confused about what was going on. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think Marvel Studios is going about it in the right way to keep the MCU as accessible to the widest audiences possible. Hopefully I'm totally wrong here, but I just have this feeling that the viewers are being a bit overwhelmed at the moment by Disney/Marvel right now. I know their VFX artists are.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 07-11-2022 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This sounds more like a "you" problem than a "them" problem.
    You could be ENTIRELY right, and I will be HAPPY to eat crow if the MCU picks up momentum again. Maybe I'm not a good example of the MCU fanbase, I totally acknowledge that. I happen to LOVE Thor. Ragnarok is one of my favorite movies of all-time. And I have been a long time fan of Natalie Portman, so I was so happy to see her return. But if Thor 4 suffers a big box office drop next weekend, I think it's no longer just "my" problem, but a "them" problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It's 2022. The internet exists. Anything that has any impact on another movie or show will get talked about on one of the many, many websites that cover these things. And that's if the scenes themselves don't get posted online, which they almost always do. You don't need to spend 2-6hrs catching up on a movie or show you don't want to watch just to not get lost on upcoming stuff.
    Why would people read only certain pages or chapters of a book (the MCU)? And then refer to the CliffNotes interpretation of it (on YouTube or Wikipedia)? I fell in love with the MCU because I watched their movies. Most of them SEVERAL times. And I picked up on lots of things that are not covered on websites and the like. I've been trying to introduce friends and relatives to the MCU, and they are intimidated by thirty movies released over fifteen years. A friend of mine still hasn't seen Top Gun: Maverick yet because she wanted to see the first Top Gun again (as her "homework"). But for whatever reason she has been too distracted and busy to do it. However, she does look like she will get around to it because the original film is easily accessible and not exclusively found on Disney Plus. And it's less than a two-hour watch. I can't imagine she would want to go through several movies and shows to see the latest Marvel offerings (and she is a pretty big Iron Man fan and watched the Marvel films RDJ was in). I admit I get lazy and sometimes procrastinate watching Marvel stuff (even if I'm interested in it). But it's easier to "get in the mood" if it takes you two hours to watch something as opposed to five to six hours. That's just my two cents though.

Astonishing Member

You could be ENTIRELY right, and I will be HAPPY to eat crow if the MCU picks up momentum again. Maybe I'm not a good example of the MCU fanbase, I totally acknowledge that. I happen to LOVE Thor. Ragnarok is one of my favorite movies of all-time. And I have been a long time fan of Natalie Portman, so I was so happy to see her return. But if Thor 4 suffers a big box office drop next weekend, I think it's no longer just "my" problem, but a "them" problem.

What problem are you talking about Albert? This is what I don't really understand your angle. You do this all the time. What problem? What problem did Doctor Strange 2 have? What problem? That it made 350 million more than the first one? Like what Thors problem? That it opened 20 million more than the last one? I don't understand this logic

Astonishing Member

if Thor 4 suffers a big box office drop next weekend

With that Cinemascore shared by previous movies and the divisive hyper-camp? I'd be surprised if that didn't happen.

The movie will probably have a pretty big drop in its second weekend drop, but that isn’t necessarily a death knell, seeing as Doctor Strange made a lot of money despite its drop. The question is whether it will make more than Ragnarok, which I doubt it will, but we’ll see!

Extraordinary Member

Love And Thunder Has Biggest Opening In Thor Franchise History

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Love And Thunder Has Biggest Opening In Thor Franchise History
    Never thought Thor of all people would get 4 movies.

Ultimate Member

Regarding the domestic box office, I think the Canadian box office would have been slightly depressed this past weekend.

There was a massive Rogers outing that knocked down internet services up here.

There might be a slight box office correction in the days to come in Canada.