Page 179 of 420 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I just don't even know why people bother with last years box office numbers.
    Disney does, IIRC they're going forward with a Shang-Chi sequel.

Warner does, they're going through with a Dune sequel.

Box office details matter to them, not just date of release.

I just don't even know why people bother with last years box office numbers. Eternals made like 178 million domestic or something like that and was still the 6th biggest movie of the year. 4 other marvel movies and a fast and furious movie. Anyone who thinks Black Widow makes 183 million dollars domestic in a normal year is high. Or for that matter F9 making 173 million domestic. Until Spider-man barely anyone was going to see movies. Not even to mention Eternals was a brand new franchise that no one had ever heard of and still managed to bring in more money that every other movie last year except 5. I don't know what Eternals makes in a normal year, but I wish people would stop bringing those numbers up. They mean nothing. Shangi Chi made 220 million dollars domestic. Thor 4 will be passed that this weekend. Last year means nothing.
    Tenet made a decemt amount in 2020. Also NTTD made a decent amount.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Tenet made a decemt amount in 2020. Also NTTD made a decent amount.
    Actually Tenet made 365 million, close enough to Eternals and that was with the full weight of the pandemic on its back. So that make me doubt Eternals was going to be a crown jewel type blockbuster in any given year. They just overspent on a project that wasn't that much essential viewing for audiences. Lightyear is teaching the same lesson now just more severely.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    otherwise that would be three movies in a row where the quality is not there.
    Ok.

Haven't seen Love and Thunder
    Rendering your previous statement invalid.

Having actually seen Love and thunder, I can tell you it has quality.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Disney does, IIRC they're going forward with a Shang-Chi sequel.

Warner does, they're going through with a Dune sequel.

Box office details matter to them, not just date of release.

Dune made 108 million last year domestic. It did a little better worldwide but Warners is going ahead with a sequel not based on last years box office. But based on future potential box office. Dune made like 40 million in China. Eternals wasn't even released there and made more than Dune. Its just worthless comparing whatever box office stuff was last year. Its meaningless. Warners is looking for a franchise that can make them long term money. If Eternals doesnt do great Marvel just cranks out another one that makes a lot of money 3 months later.

Astonishing Member

Dune made 108 million last year domestic.
    Dune and Eternals are not remotely comparable regarding commercial expectations, especially considering Dune was also available on HBO Max and Eternals had the *extra* advantage of being theatrical only in addition to being under the Marvel umbrella for existing audiences. And Eternals *still* ended up sharing being in the same "more than 100 million but not over 200 million" club as Dune domestically, while still having No Time To Die eat its entire box office performance, as far as being also released under a longstanding franchise umbrella in 2021. Does that register to you now?

And I'm sure this had been pointed out already upthread, but even in North America the Eternals box office money is only comparable with The Incredible Hulk adjusted for inflation, which was also considered a disappointment at the time and also led nowhere. Why would anyone still defend the commerciality of Eternals right now?

It did a little better worldwide but Warners is going ahead with a sequel not based on last years box office. But based on future potential box office.
    So you agree the year was totally arbitrary and didn't mean anything as far as studio decisions regarding money. Good of you to progress from that ridiculousness.

Dune made like 40 million in China. Eternals wasn't even released there and made more than Dune.
    China only gives around 25% of their money back to Hollywood, which is 0% for Eternals and Marvel in general since they unofficially blacklist every of their movies now. And I'm sure I have posted this way before here, probably to you as well, but in case you also have amnesia about that now, the Dune budget happens to be noticeably lower than the Eternals too, in addition to the audience and critical response to that movie also being better, down to eventually winning Oscars for extra publicity for an IMAX-marketed Dune 2. That's what I mean about the little details mattering to studios more than RAWR BOX OFFICE NUMBER.

Astonishing Member

Dune and Eternals are not remotely comparable regarding commercial expectations, especially considering Dune was also available on HBO Max and Eternals had the *extra* advantage of being theatrical only in addition to being under the Marvel umbrella for existing audiences. And Eternals *still* ended up sharing being in the same "more than 100 million but not over 200 million" club as Dune domestically, while still having No Time To Die eat its entire box office performance, as far as being also released under a longstanding franchise umbrella in 2021. Does that register to you now?

And I'm sure this had been pointed out already upthread, but even in North America the Eternals box office money is only comparable with The Incredible Hulk adjusted for inflation, which was also considered a disappointment at the time and also led nowhere. Why would anyone still defend the commerciality of Eternals right now?

So you agree the year was totally arbitrary and didn't mean anything as far as studio decisions regarding money. Good of you to progress from that ridiculousness.

China only gives around 25% of their money back to Hollywood, which is 0% for Eternals and Marvel in general since they unofficially blacklist every of their movies now. And I'm sure I have posted this way before here, probably to you as well, but in case you also have amnesia about that now, the Dune budget happens to be noticeably lower than the Eternals too, in addition to the audience and critical response to that movie also being better, down to eventually winning Oscars for extra publicity for an IMAX-marketed Dune 2. That's what I mean about the little details mattering to studios more than RAWR BOX OFFICE NUMBER.

I am on your side. Dune doesnt make 108 million domestic in not a pandemic year. People quoting numbers from last year are nuts. Some movies had worse release dates than others. I don't care if WB makes a Dune sequel good for them. But this idea that anyone quotes any box office numbers on any movies last year is crazy. They all took a hit. Whether it was day and date streaming or just the pandemic in general. Anyone who looks at any of the numbers last year can see this. Then people comparing movies like Dune to a Marvel movie on its face is silly. Marvel has 29 movies not even counting the sony or x-men or lord knows whatever else over the last 25 years. If people want to debate box office numbers ok. But good lord don't quote numbers from last year. For cripes sake I paid for black widow at home because I could. Those box office numbers mean nothing for that film. Im sure its the same for Dune. Sure Eternals struggled. Thats like one marvel movie ok. But it was also released when pandemic wasn't really cleared and still finished 6th in domestic box office for the year. Behind 4 marvel movies and F9. Anyone could go down the list last year and say, errr boy that didn't do very well. Even Shang Chi in my opinion would have done much better if released in a normal year. Personally I don't think Marvel has a ton of confidence in the Eternals project. I didn't mind the movie, but it was easily the biggest swing they took. Even more the Guardians. It didn't really work. But again in a crap year it still makes over 400 million worldwide.

Astonishing Member

I am on your side. Dune doesnt make 108 million domestic in not a pandemic year. People quoting numbers from last year are nuts. Some movies had worse release dates than others. I don't care if WB makes a Dune sequel good for them. But this idea that anyone quotes any box office numbers on any movies last year is crazy. They all took a hit. Whether it was day and date streaming or just the pandemic in general. Anyone who looks at any of the numbers last year can see this. Then people comparing movies like Dune to a Marvel movie on its face is silly. Marvel has 29 movies not even counting the sony or x-men or lord knows whatever else over the last 25 years. If people want to debate box office numbers ok. But good lord don't quote numbers from last year. For cripes sake I paid for black widow at home because I could. Those box office numbers mean nothing for that film. Im sure its the same for Dune. Sure Eternals struggled. Thats like one marvel movie ok. But it was also released when pandemic wasn't really cleared and still finished 6th in domestic box office for the year. Behind 4 marvel movies and F9. Anyone could go down the list last year and say, errr boy that didn't do very well. Even Shang Chi in my opinion would have done much better if released in a normal year. Personally I don't think Marvel has a ton of confidence in the Eternals project. I didn't mind the movie, but it was easily the biggest swing they took. Even more the Guardians. It didn't really work. But again in a crap year it still makes over 400 million worldwide.
    400 million in a crap year is still crap for a 200 million budget movie, in any other year. You know what wasn't crap then? Free Guy's box office. Look that up regarding budget and box office, you might have seen that already depending on your... awareness.

This comes across as quite some Marvel stanning coping, since the reply chain was from me confirming Marvel had as much reason as any other studio (within the last half a year or so, when China still had pandemic theater closures affecting The Batman which was still able to compete with No Time To Die and eclipse Eternals) now to fear throwing money at everything and expect unlimited success in return. Apparently that's taboo enough to forget or ignore basic facts about how when other studios succeeded at the time Marvel didn't, it had to be the year except when the year didn't matter.
    Last edited by Wildling; 07-16-2022 at 10:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

400 million in a crap year is still crap for a 200 million budget movie, in any other year. You know what wasn't crap then? Free Guy's box office. Look that up regarding budget and box office, you might have seen that already depending on your... awareness.

This comes across as quite some Marvel stanning coping, since the reply chain was from me confirming Marvel had as much reason as any other studio (within the last half a year or so, when China still had pandemic theater closures affecting The Batman which was still able to compete with No Time To Die and eclipse Eternals) now to fear throwing money at everything and expect unlimited success in return. Apparently that's taboo enough to forget or ignore basic facts about how when other studios succeeded at the time Marvel didn't, it had to be the year except when the year didn't matter.

LOL it honestly doesn't matter. MOM made 941 million without China and Russia and people on here say box office didn't live up to expectations. All of this is insane. We are in July and one movie has made more than Doctor Strange. And thats a sequel to an Iconic movie made 30 years ago. Marvel cranks out hits for breakfast and when they hit a bump people jump on them like sharks in on a dead seal. Its obvious. Bringing Up Eternals is meaningless. Its one out of 29 movies. Its obvious what some on here and other places are attempting to do. Marvel is trying and doing different things and still making more money than 95 percent of the movies released in any given year. This dopey Thor movie is going to blast by many marvel movies and people are all worried about drops, trying to compare its box office by the micro to other films. Its actually funny. The dinosaur movie which completed a trilogy, didn't even make as much as Strange and it was released in China. But we have a bunch of people trying to find a hole in this franchise. Like another poster said earlier. Being #1 puts a target on your back. And there are a bunch of people trying to knock it off.

Astonishing Member

LOL it honestly doesn't matter. MOM made 941 million without China
    Perfect kind of response, deflecting to a previous Phase hero sequel, in order to confirm how treacherous the new Phase is when it comes to new stories.

I don't blame you as a Marvel stan for not even naming Top Gun Maverick in full for eating Marvel's lunch domestically (if not globally for the year) because you don't know what you're doing.

Astonishing Member

Perfect kind of response, deflecting to a previous Phase hero sequel, in order to confirm how treacherous the new Phase is when it comes to new stories.

I don't blame you as a Marvel stan for not even naming Top Gun Maverick in full for eating Marvel's lunch domestically (if not globally for the year) because you don't know what you're doing.
    LOL WTF are you talking about there have been individual movies that have done better than Marvel movies. 2017 is a perfect example. Star Wars #1, Beauty and the beast #2 Wonder Woman #3 Jumanji #4 then Guardians #2 at 5. Thor Ragnarok Finished 8th that year. That was in the heart of phase 3

Astonishing Member

LOL WTF are you talking about there have been individual movies that have done better than Marvel movies. 2017 is a perfect example
    Why would I take your BS pre-pandemic year bait when I already proved Disney and Marvel already had plenty chances they could try and success and die as much as other studios?

Astonishing Member

Why would I take your BS pre-pandemic year bait when I already proved Disney and Marvel already had plenty chances they could try and success and die as much as other studios?

What? I just told you Marvel is so successful that people attempt to throw in movies that did better. Top Gun is huge this year. Thats fine, but no one comes close to cranking out hits like they do. NO ONE. And people can complain all day. 2017 is perfect. The biggest Marvel movie that year finished 5th. Thor finished 8th. The expectations that every year some Marvel movie is going to be the biggest is invented by people who don't really care about the Box office. They are more interested in Knocking this franchise. If you don't like Phase 4 fine. But trying to make points about box office saying well Top Gun did better is funny. Avatar 2 will probably do better as well. I don't care. At the end of the year you will have multiple marvel movies at the top end. And no one else can do this. The funny thing is there are bunches of people all over the net attempting to make some comment about the MCU and its issues when in reality the franchise keeps rolling. I know it makes a lot of people angry, but the facts are most movie studios would kill for a franchise like this. People in 2017 probably said the same thing when Marvel only had the 5th 6th and 8th biggest movie that year.

No one wants to mention that MOM and Thor will do better than almost any movie this year. That in and of itself is an accomplishment. I don't know how Black Panther will do. But anyone trying to count this studio out hasn't been following it since 2008. Heck the X-men franchise alone would kill for these Thor 4 numbers.

Astonishing Member

What? I just told you Marvel is so successful that people attempt to throw in movies that did better.
    You sound weird and paranoid. And untruthful, since at the very beginning I was all about how Secrets of Dumbledore grossed higher than Eternals. Which it did, according to BOM. Do you have any data pointing otherwise?

Astonishing Member

You sound weird and paranoid. And untruthful, since at the very beginning I was all about how Secrets of Dumbledore grossed higher than Eternals. Which it did, according to BOM. Do you have any data pointing otherwise?

Ummm what are you talking about Secrets of Dumbldore grossed less than Eternals was released this year and was released in China. It made 95 million in the states.