Page 184 of 420 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194234284 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I wonder if people really put the ratings of imdb or other sources into their decision which movie they want to see in the theaters?
    I don't think so at all.

Most people simply go see a movie cause it looks cool or interesting, cause someone on tv talked about it or cause a friend advised them to give it a try.

CinemaScore and PostTrak are the best measurements we have for anticipating the legs of a blockbuster. A four quadrant tentpole that fails to get at least an A- CinemaScore will likely have big drops on subsequent weekends.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Top gun 2 passing $655m about to pass Jurassic world!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=3605e9397c3f

And every parent goes "thank you." Baby shark movie shoved to paramount plus.

https://www.eonline.com/ca/news/1340...-its-own-movie
    Last edited by Gaastra; 08-04-2022 at 04:17 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I don't think so at all.

Most people simply go see a movie cause it looks cool or interesting, cause someone on tv talked about it or cause a friend advised them to give it a try.
    While I agree that the rt or imdb ratings don’t stop people from seeing a movie word of mouth does. It seems logical that movies with lower ratings will usually also have worse word of mouth and thus weaker legs at the box office.

Extraordinary Member

Here is something i found and just read online about about marvel/disney and china recently.
    Thor: Love and Thunder is the sixth MCU film in a row shut out of China

Thor: Love and Thunder is the latest Marvel Studios joint not to premiere in China, according to The Hollywood Reporter. In this case, Chinese censors haven’t approved the LGBT+ content. That’s similar to the reason they gave for not releasing Lightyear in the region. That’s in line with China’s general media policy against all things gay; last year, China’s National Radio and Television Administration told TV broadcasters to “resolutely put an end to sissy men and other abnormal aesthetics.” Super.

That said, it seems like China has a bone to pick with Disney and Marvel in particular. While superhero films like The Batman have released in China, the Chinese Communist Party hasn’t let a Marvel movie through since Avengers: Endgame, which made over $600 million in Chinese theaters, so it’s not like there isn’t an audience for this stuff in the region.

China started the Marvel blockade with Black Widow. We don’t know exactly why, but it might have something to do with that film not depicting Communism in the best light. Marvel followed up that movie with Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Eternals; in the first case, star Simu Liu made comments critical of China. In the second case, director Chloé Zhao did. That’s enough for the CCP to blackball a movie studio.

China’s long history of banning movies because it feels like it

According to USC professor and China expert Stanley Rosen, that’s par for the course for the CCP. For instance, in 1997, MGM released a Richard Gere movie called Red Corner that featured corruption in the Chinese government as part of its plot. Rather than just ban the movie, China banned everything from MGM. “If they could do that in 1997, they can certainly do that today as they’re a lot better off,” Rosen told Deadline. “You do one film that China doesn’t like, and none of your films are shown in China.”

And China’s excuses for keeping Marvel movies out have gotten pretty flimsy. For instance, per Insider, they justified blocking Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness because a newspaper kiosk in the background of one scene had a copy of the The Epoch Times, a paper critical of China. For Spider-Man: No Way Home, the CCP wanted to studio to remove the Statue of Liberty, which…what? The whole climax takes place there.

Basically, the authoritarians who run China are mad at Marvel and will find reasons to block their movies no matter what…until they don’t; it’s hard to tell when they might start or stop anything. Marvel hasn’t been feeling too much pain over it; Thor: Love and Thunder had a smashing opening weekend and No Way Home became one of the highest-grossing movies in history. Given this volatility, Hollywood studios just aren’t counting on Chinese box office at all. “[A]nything from China is upside,” a source told Deadline. “You plan for nothing, and if you get it, good.”

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/07/1...hut-out-china/

and

China and the MCU's Long Complicated History
    The MCU has benefited greatly from China's box office, but with censorship issues and all Phase 4 movies denied release, what does the future hold?
    https://movieweb.com/chinese-censorship-in-the-mcu/

“I think I can, I think I can… be the top movie at the box office,” says Sony’s original action movie that could.

The Brad Pitt vehicle “Bullet Train” should take No. 1 on domestic charts. The film earned $12.6 million from 4,357 locations on Friday and is projecting a $30 million debut. It’s a solid performance for an original film with no franchise ties or multiverse shenanigans, but the film will have to keep chugging through August to recoup its $90 million production budget.
    https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...ed-1235334968/

Astonishing Member

Unless most people hate it (I liked it) Bullet Train has the advantage of not having direct competition for weeks as I recall. There's going to be other R rated movies but I think they'll be more straight horror/thrillers without the more comedic angle and star filled cast that Bullet Train has.

I'm curious about the new Dragon Ball Super movie since it brings back the Red Ribbon Army. They were always pet favorite baddies for me.

Top gun 2 sinks titanic again! Man, those planes hate that boat. Now 7th biggest movie of all time.

https://collider.com/top-gun-maveric...ovie-all-time/

Overseas one piece new film hits 1 billion yen in japan on only 1 day.

This film is confirmed to be coming to america but my guess is a fathom events release.

https://animegalaxyofficial.com/one-...ce-collection/

This makes One Piece Film: RED the third highest opening movie in Japan right behind “Demon Slayer: Mugen Train” and “Jujutsu Kaisen 0“.

Extraordinary Member

Box Office: ‘Top Gun 2’ Passes $1.35 Billion As ‘Thor 4’ Tops ‘Thor 3’
    Thor: Love and Thunder earned $7.6 million (-42%) in its fifth weekend for a new $316.1 million 31-day domestic total. For all the pontificating online about Marvel being in trouble or Thor 4 being a disappointment, Love & Thunder just passed the $315 million domestic cume of Ragnarök. Once it tops $322 million, it will have sold more tickets than the previous Thor. It now sits with $698.9 million worldwide, nearing $700 million and Thor: Ragnarök's no China/no Russia cume of $712 million ($854 million total in 2017). In terms of exchange rates, it’s already above Thor 3’s no Russia/China global cume. It’s not playing as a breakout sequel to Thor 3, but money is money. Besides, Thor 4 didn’t bring much new to the table after the last two Thor movies. While its reception may have been disappointing, it’s not like Marvel needs Thor: Triumphant.
    To read more about the current boxoffice go here.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=5f0065776fed

Astonishing Member

Yup. Thor 4 just passed Thor 3 for domestic box office. Oh the failure.

Bullet train rams the box office overpreforming with global $62.5m. Jurassic world passes dr strange.

Coming in just slightly ahead of pre-weekend projections, Sony’s Bullet Train pulled into 57 overseas markets for a $32.4M international box office launch. When including the domestic start, the global debut is $62.5M.

The Brad Pitt-starrer rode to the biggest offshore opening for a non-IP studio film since Tenet, and is tracking similar to Murder On The Orient Express and Kingsman: The Secret Service.

As with Stateside, audience reactions are beating critical notes abroad, and there are still several key markets to come as the holidays continue.

In overseas play, the UK led with a $3.5M start, followed by France at $3.1M, Mexico delivering $3M, Australia rolling to $2.2M and Saudi Arabia clocking $1.9M.
    Minions makes it to $757.9 global.

Elsewhere, Universal/Illumination’s Minions: The Rise Of Gru had a solid hold, down 42% in its 7th offshore frame for a $15.9M weekend in 80 markets. The overseas total is now $423.3M for $757.9 global. Internationally, the origins story is performing in line with Minions and Despicable Me 3 at the same point of release.

The top holdover market this session was Korea where there is a host of big local competition. The cume to date is $14.6M to overtake the lifetime of the first Minions as well as Soul, making this the market’s biggest Hollywood animation of the pandemic (in restated dollars). In Australia, where Gru released early, it is now the top movie of the entire franchise at a running cume of $28.3M.

Other standout markets include the UK ($44M), Brazil ($28.3M), Germany ($26.1M) and Japan and France each at $20M. Italy is still to release later this month.

Warner Bros’ DC League Of Super-Pets woofed up another $11.4M this weekend in 67 markets (-41% hold). The offshore cume is now $38.3M with the worldwide tally at $83.4M. Particularly strong market drops included Germany (-23%), Colombia (-27%), France (-29%), Poland (-30%) and Mexico (-39%).

Netherlands kicked off with $575K on 192 screens, topping Lightyear by 40% and Encanto by 33%. Top markets to date are the UK ($7.6M), Mexico ($4.3M), France ($3M), Spain ($2.1M) and Germany ($1.8M). Korea and Taiwan set the pooches loose next weekend.

Disney/Marvel’s Thor: Love And Thunder is on its way to $700M worldwide with an estimated $699M through Sunday. Last session, it had already overtaken Thor: Ragnarok as the top pic of the four-title franchise (based on current rates and excluding Russia and China). Internationally, the gross is $382.8M in 48 material markets including this weekend’s $11.1M, a 50% drop from the earlier frame.

https://deadline.com/2022/08/bullet-...ce-1235086822/

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yup. Thor 4 just passed Thor 3 for domestic box office. Oh the failure.
    The MCU record on sequels passing their predecessors is unbelievable.

Thor 4 had Natalie Portman, allowing it to surpass Thor 3

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    The MCU record on sequels passing their predecessors is unbelievable.

Yup only one sequel has not passed the previous film. Which is Age of Ultron. Although if the new Black Panther does it I will be blown away.

Iron Man 2 also made less than the first one at the domestic box office.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.