Page 189 of 420 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Thor hits $750m ww!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...y_crossed_the/

Theatres are getting this note about avatar 2. They are expecting a big opening weekend!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...n_theater_got/
    Seems kinda weak for a marvel movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    I was excited for it and then I saw the reviews...
    Nothing against any money kept in your wallet, but in my own experience bad reviews don't really match the experience of watching a movie I decided to go watch because I got the feel I might enjoy it (which is why I didn't go watch any Downtown Abbey movies in the first place, not my thing in the first place).

The exceptions when I was bitterly disappointed had to do with movie re-adaptations of previous stuff I had fallen in love with through at least one read/watch (the new Pet Sematary, the new Firestarter and Amazing Spider-Man 2 failed me).

As long as Don't Worry Darling doesn't bore me I hope I'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tarbabe View Post
    Seems kinda weak for a marvel movie.
    Keep in mind it didn't release in China and Russia like Ragnarok did. Even with a concerning $250 million budget it's a hit.

What I'm more worried about going forward is that I got the feeling Waititi already peaked here and while I'm sure Thor comic fans can offer sequel ideas all day, I'm not terribly interested in what Love and Thunder teased could happen in a new movie.

JW may end it's run at $9.99m! Just missed a billion if true!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...f_the_billion/

Avatar expected to make $9m to $10m way behind don't worry darlings $19m.

Our amc isn't even showing avatar in our city! They still have jaws but no avatar at all!

$10m is still not bad for a rerelease. Of course, disney is marketing the heck out of it.

And it made it crawling! Welcome to the billion club JWD.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...on-1235380452/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Nothing against any money kept in your wallet, but in my own experience bad reviews don't really match the experience of watching a movie I decided to go watch because I got the feel I might enjoy it (which is why I didn't go watch any Downtown Abbey movies in the first place, not my thing in the first place).

The exceptions when I was bitterly disappointed had to do with movie re-adaptations of previous stuff I had fallen in love with through at least one read/watch (the new Pet Sematary, the new Firestarter and Amazing Spider-Man 2 failed me).

As long as Don't Worry Darling doesn't bore me I hope I'll be fine.

Keep in mind it didn't release in China and Russia like Ragnarok did. Even with a concerning $250 million budget it's a hit.

What I'm more worried about going forward is that I got the feeling Waititi already peaked here and while I'm sure Thor comic fans can offer sequel ideas all day, I'm not terribly interested in what Love and Thunder teased could happen in a new movie.
    It's actually quite impressive how well Thor 4 did I must confess (despite my criticism of it).

It's at $760 million and didn't get released in some Middle Eastern countries, Russia and China. It actually increased from the last movie in most territories it got released in.

If it had gotten a full global release, it would have cleared a billion.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And it made it crawling! Welcome to the billion club JWD.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...on-1235380452/
    I'm actually glad to hear it.

I didn't find JWD to be nearly as bad as it was made out to be.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's actually quite impressive how well Thor 4 did I must confess (despite my criticism of it).

It's at $760 million and didn't get released in some Middle Eastern countries, Russia and China. It actually increased from the last movie in most territories it got released in.

If it had gotten a full global release, it would have cleared a billion.
    You are suggesting it would have made the remaining 240 million from Russia, Ukraine, and China alone? That is typically not the case at all for these movies.
    Releases in Middle Eastern countries are always a toss up for most movies, first off. Second, they hardly bring any money in to begin with.
    China typically does anywhere from 50-200 million for comic movies. The ones closer to 200 million are the massive spectacle Avengers movies or Aquaman.

Let's us Ragnarok as an example though: it made 112 million in China. Russia = 23 million. That's a total of 135 million, not too close to 240 million, but would have definitely put this movie more in line with Ragnarok and other expectations.
    Even so, pretty much every movie released this year hasn't had Ukraine, Russia, and China has been a flip of the coin so this isn't a unique situation to Love and Thunder.

I think it's OK to say Love and Thunder just did OK when compared to the MCU scale of measurement. It definitely didn't do great and it could have been a lot worse. I started watching it on Disney + and couldn't make it past the first 20 mins. Not sure I'll try again, either.

Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...ref_=bo_se_r_1

I would imagine Disney hoped for more cash and positive feedback.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I think it's OK to say Love and Thunder just did OK when compared to the MCU scale of measurement. It definitely didn't do great and it could have been a lot worse. I started watching it on Disney + and couldn't make it past the first 20 mins. Not sure I'll try again, either.

The director did a mediocre job with Love and Thunder. Too many jokes, tried too hard. Wasted the likes of Bale and Crowe and Jane's storyline with cancer. Should have been more serious. He left a lot of money on the table with the latest installment. It's slightly worse than Dark World. I imagine the movie turned off some MCU fans with all the comedy. Movie had some nice moments but with all the talent it should have been way better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    You are suggesting it would have made the remaining 240 million from Russia, Ukraine, and China alone? That is typically not the case at all for these movies.
    Releases in Middle Eastern countries are always a toss up for most movies, first off. Second, they hardly bring any money in to begin with.
    China typically does anywhere from 50-200 million for comic movies. The ones closer to 200 million are the massive spectacle Avengers movies or Aquaman.

Let's us Ragnarok as an example though: it made 112 million in China. Russia = 23 million. That's a total of 135 million, not too close to 240 million, but would have definitely put this movie more in line with Ragnarok and other expectations.
    Even so, pretty much every movie released this year hasn't had Ukraine, Russia, and China has been a flip of the coin so this isn't a unique situation to Love and Thunder.

Ok. That's a lot to climb.

I just looked at the actual numbers, Thor 4 did increase in many territories over part 3. It might not have gotten to a billion but without China, I think the only MCU movies that would have crossed a billion are the Avengers movies, Iron Man 3 and Black Panther.

That means that Thor 4 performed very much in line with other MCU movies.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-24-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    The director did a mediocre job with Love and Thunder. Too many jokes, tried too hard. Wasted the likes of Bale and Crowe and Jane's storyline with cancer. Should have been more serious. He left a lot of money on the table with the latest installment. It's slightly worse than Dark World. I imagine the movie turned off some MCU fans with all the comedy. Movie had some nice moments but with all the talent it should have been way better.
    I agree.

Thor 4 would have made a lot more money if it had better word of mouth.

Taika Waititi needs to scale it back. From the irreverent persona to the "unserious " approach to the movie (like the Infinity Cones thing, Thanos massacred a lot of Asgardians and half the universe, why on God's green earth would anyone name an ice cream place after the Infinity Stones????), to the jokes almost every minute. It just came across like he didn't take the movie seriously at all.

But that's just my opinion because quite a number of people like the movie.

Don't worry darling now expecting $21m. Avatar expecting to do better than expected also! (Higher imax and 3-D price help also!)

Sounds like this might be a good week for theatres.

Darling didn't make the $21m. Make $19m. Still not bad for a movie with all it's behind the scenes craziness.

Avatar makes $10m domestic and $30m worldwide adding to its box office take. This puts it further ahead of endgame but still not near gone with the wind the real first place without inflation.

Woman king makes $11.14m.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...de-1235383066/

Astonishing Member

I liked Don't Worry Darling enough I'm glad Florence Pugh's resume now includes she debuted at #1 in a pic with Harry Styles.

Before we get into the blockbuster news cycle again with Black Adam I'm glad smaller movies like Darling, Woman King, Barbarian and Pearl are doing better than they would have in the middle of the pandemic. Out of the last three I've only watched Barbarian so far but thought it deserved any and all hype.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I would imagine Disney hoped for more cash and positive feedback.
    You mean more postive feedback and closer to thor 3,since the movie has positive scores/reviews already.