Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 369

Thread: The Box Office

  1. #16
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

    So, to break even domestically, HQBOP needs to make $164M in USA+CAN (b/c the local theaters keep 50% of profit). To break even globally, it needs to make at least $300M in sales (b/c the abroad theaters keep between 60% - 75% of profit, depending on country).

    If all of this is accurate, then HQBOP will be deemed a financial flop by the people who invest in movie making.

    That seems a shame.
    Too bad since it's well-reviewed. I guess this puts WB's plans for HQ as their cornerstone in doubt.

  2. #17
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Too bad since it's well-reviewed. I guess this puts WB's plans for HQ as their cornerstone in doubt.
    Actually, some of the "good" reviews hurts the box office even more for bringing up the woke stuff.

  3. #18
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Boxofficeguru.com is estimating that, after its 48% drop in its sophomore weekend, HARLEY QUINN: BIRDS OF PREY will finish its run at about $95M domestic.

    Production budget: $82M.
    Domestic + international marketing budget & distribution costs: just under $200M
    Total cost: about $275M (per Variety)

    So, to break even domestically, HQBOP needs to make $164M in USA+CAN (b/c the local theaters keep 50% of profit). To break even globally, it needs to make at least $300M in sales (b/c the abroad theaters keep between 60% - 75% of profit, depending on country).

    If all of this is accurate, then HQBOP will be deemed a financial flop by the people who invest in movie making.

    That seems a shame.
    Also after the 2nd week, the company gets less from the domestic box office share. It only has about 62M now.

  4. #19
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    8,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I have a strong suspicion that the Initial sonic design was a marketing stunt. It would always be a decent sell though, dudes the second biggest gaming mascot out there, a huge part of 90s nostalgia AND features Jim Carrey climbing his way up again.
    It wasn't a stunt. The redesign for Sonic added $5 million to the movie's budget and it had to give up a lucrative holiday release date to make it happen. There was merch created with the original design that was binned. In the movie itself the character of Longclaw clashes with the redesign as she a realistic rendered owl.

  5. #20
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Even if international box office wasn't that big, Sonic is enough to spin off a sequel if they want to.

  6. #21
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Actually, some of the "good" reviews hurts the box office even more for bringing up the woke stuff.
    What possible way do you have to gauge that?

  7. #22
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The redesign for Sonic added $5 million to the movie's budget and it had to give up a lucrative holiday release date to make it happen.
    Wrong. Even if you correctly believe the current Sonic CGI re-design box office boost hype, that only means Sonic would have opened lower in November, been obliterated by Frozen II in weekend 2, have whatever earnings it could have cannibalized from Frozen forgotten by the time Star Wars and Jumanji opened, and then only be brought up along Xmas and New Year smartasses online talking about what CGI/has-been stars disasters have come up lately (Cats, Dolittle and Call of the Wild).

    As a paying consumer who liked Sonic I'm glad it opened when it did. That means it was generally well received and only competes next weekend with Call of the Wild.

  8. #23
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I have a strong suspicion that the Initial sonic design was a marketing stunt. It would always be a decent sell though, dudes the second biggest gaming mascot out there, a huge part of 90s nostalgia AND features Jim Carrey climbing his way up again.
    Who is the biggest gaming mascot then? Don't say Mario, I think Sonic exceeded him years ago.

  9. #24
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Who is the biggest gaming mascot then? Don't say Mario, I think Sonic exceeded him years ago.
    I think maybe at his height Sonic was bigger but overall Mario's got to be the biggest video game mascot. While below those two, I think Link is pretty big aswell.

  10. #25
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think maybe at his height Sonic was bigger but overall Mario's got to be the biggest video game mascot. While below those two, I think Link is pretty big aswell.
    Maybe its just me, but I just see Sonic everywhere and no Mario. And the kids are always more into Sonic. But it may be selective thinking on my part.

  11. #26
    Courage looks like this Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    What possible way do you have to gauge that?
    Yes, especially after the "Get woke, go broke" predictions about "Captain Marvel" and "The Last Jedi" and we saw how that turned out. More like, "Get woke, make a billion dollars".

    Some would argue that we are talking about the MCU and Star Wars so, of course, those predictions were wrong. But there's no indication that a "woke' theme changes anything. Most people probably don't care one way or the other as long as they find a movie entertaining. I didn't like the Last Jedi but it had nothing to do with the "woke" themes which I didn't even particularly notice or think about as being "woke" since they were simply reasonable themes about equality and compassion.
    This is what courage looks like.

  12. #27
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes, especially after the "Get woke, go broke" predictions about "Captain Marvel" and "The Last Jedi" and we saw how that turned out. More like, "Get woke, make a billion dollars".

    Some would argue that we are talking about the MCU and Star Wars so, of course, those predictions were wrong. But there's no indication that a "woke' theme changes anything. Most people probably don't care one way or the other as long as they find a movie entertaining. I didn't like the Last Jedi but it had nothing to do with the "woke" themes which I didn't even particularly notice or think about as being "woke" since they were simply reasonable themes about equality and compassion.
    Captain Marvel got the box office because it went between Avengers 3 and 4.

    And it didn't really have much woke stuff while it's a bad movie.

    Same thing for TLJ, I hate it but I don't think it has to do with woke, it actually focused too much on Kylo Ren.

    Woke movie failed because they focused too much on delivering the message and not trying to make good movies. Also ppl don't want to be pushed for it, both genders.

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,519

    Default

    https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend...l-jokers-emma/

    It looks like Sonic is going to take the Weekend but I am surprised at how well Call of the Wild is doing

    Sonic The Hedgehog $28,000,000
    The Call Of The Wild $27,500,000
    Birds of Prey $7,500,000
    Bad Boys For Life $5,900,000
    Brahms: The Boy II $5,600,000

    I guess you can never underestimate a family film

    ***

    Sonic The Hedgehog passed the $100M domestic mark after grossing an estimated $28 M this weekend. 10-Day total stands at $106.60M.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-23-2020 at 09:17 AM.

  14. #29
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Harrison Ford bonding with a dog can still draw a crowd, at least in North America. But it looks like it still cost way too much. Between it and Underwater last month, what concerns me is the perceived trend of Disney being burdened with a backlog of overspent projects (while waiting for the Avatar sequels and adapting mutants into the MCU themselves) possibly jeopardizing any potential projects even slightly unsafe commercially for them.

    I can only hope New Mutants won't be ignored hard if the movie is any good, since it also carries Dark Phoenix's long delay stench but at least unlike Dark Phoenix and Fantastic Four movies New Mutants has the benefit of these characters and this story never being adapted before which could generate some interest. At least I'm glad Anya's getting good press from Emma and Disney are still cool with Searchlight.

    And speaking of trends, since it looks like Brahms is coming and going now just like Fantasy Island did before it. I hope Invisible Man next week ends this long spell of horror doing ho-hum business at best. I don't think any original (not powered by existing film franchise momentum like Annabelle Comes Home and It Chapter 2) has even passed 100 million worldwide since Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark half a year ago.

  15. #30
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Harrison Ford bonding with a dog can still draw a crowd, at least in North America. But it looks like it still cost way too much. Between it and Underwater last month, what concerns me is the perceived trend of Disney being burdened with a backlog of overspent projects (while waiting for the Avatar sequels and adapting mutants into the MCU themselves) possibly jeopardizing any potential projects even slightly unsafe commercially for them.

    I can only hope New Mutants won't be ignored hard if the movie is any good, since it also carries Dark Phoenix's long delay stench but at least unlike Dark Phoenix and Fantastic Four movies New Mutants has the benefit of these characters and this story never being adapted before which could generate some interest. At least I'm glad Anya's getting good press from Emma and Disney are still cool with Searchlight.

    And speaking of trends, since it looks like Brahms is coming and going now just like Fantasy Island did before it. I hope Invisible Man next week ends this long spell of horror doing ho-hum business at best. I don't think any original (not powered by existing film franchise momentum like Annabelle Comes Home and It Chapter 2) has even passed 100 million worldwide since Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark half a year ago.
    So is Sonic confirmed to be a big hit to have a sequel?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •