Page 27 of 420 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Disney says its ‘primary focus’ for entertainment is streaming — announces a major reorg

-Disney is restructuring its media and entertainment divisions.

-In order to further accelerate its direct-to-consumer strategy, the company will be centralizing its media businesses into a single organization that will be responsible for content distribution, ad sales and Disney+.

-The change comes as the global coronavirus pandemic has crippled its theatrical business and ushered more customers toward its streaming options.

“Given the incredible success of Disney+ and our plans to accelerate our direct-to-consumer business, we are strategically positioning our Company to more effectively support our growth strategy and increase shareholder value,” Chapek said in a statement announcing the reorganization. “Managing content creation distinct from distribution will allow us to be more effective and nimble in making the content consumers want most, delivered in the way they prefer to consume it.”
    Honestly as business think about it, Movie they have split some of profit with the theater and others. Regular cable and other forms media dvds they have again split with a someone. Streaming they are getting 100% percent of the profit. How much movies do you see in a year in theater for me now it is about 3 or 4 per year at worse. If I am subbed to Disney plus all year they get more money from me than if I was going to the theater.

That is why everyone is jumping in the streaming game imo, It is just sure and CONSISTENT source of money if you build a base of people. The box office isn't going to die but the Box office as we know it is going to go through some changes.

The problem with the Streaming model is there are just so many services people will pay for. After Netflix and Disney, how many others will people pay monthly for? And with not enough subscribers the services won't have the money to produce the type of programming that draw viewers. These movies and series can be very expensive.
    How many shows can CBS All Access make with it's 4 million subscribers?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The problem with the Streaming model is there are just so many services people will pay for. After Netflix and Disney, how many others will people pay monthly for? And with not enough subscribers the services won't have the money to produce the type of programming that draw viewers. These movies and series can be very expensive.
    Well, there's HBO max which includes Warner Brothers... despite a somewhat messed up rollout, seems like it is fairly promising.

Peacock is affiliated with Universal studios, right? So that's the top 3 movie studios covered, leaving Sony, which i don't know what they're doing in terms of streaming.

CBS all access just does not have enough content to keep going imo, despite the relatively low subscription price.

In the end you will probably see studios focus more on mid-budget movies that they can justify putting directly on stream in case theaters don't make a comeback, and scaling back on the big blockbusters aside from the ones already in the can.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It's unnecessary in the way school is unnecessary.

Having a place where you can really devote your attention to the film is always nice to have.
    Agreed. Watching a movie in a theater really gives viewers a chance to immerse themselves in it, as opposed to at home where there are far too many distractions.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Honestly, now that Marvel's Infinity Saga has ended, I'm fine with studios focusing on lower budgets and streaming - I pay for those already.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    My cable bill use to average about 100 dollars and that was without HBO and any premium channels. The answer to that question is a lot. The problem with cable you forced to get a bunch of channels you didn't want which is why cord cutting became popular. You were wasting a ton of money on channels you didn't want.

The so called problem is people believe they are entitled to everything. So they see a bunch of streaming services as problem when the reality is that is what we have always wanted. The current system lets you pick want, Clearly all of the streaming service aren't going to work so either two things are going to happen when they start to struggle

1. They are going to team up and try to force package on people
    2. Bigger companies are going to eat up the weak ones

This atmosphere is better for consumers imo,Streaming services have to put out unique exclusive content to draw customers or die. The services dying and other companies suck them up is preferable to them, sticking around because we are forced to get them in packages.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post

CBS all access just does not have enough content to keep going imo, despite the relatively low subscription price.

CBS all access is being add to Paramount Plus aka Viacom aka CBS, BET, MTV,Nickelodeon, Showtime and Paramount Library

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/2...nal-disney-hbo

So Basically

NBC/Universal-Peacock
    Viacom/CBS- Paramount Plus
    Warner media- HBOmax
    Disney- Disney Plus
    Sony- Nothing

Netflix
    Amazon
    Apple

Things aren't bad people make it out to be it will stabilize soon enough. Competition is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    My cable bill use to average about 100 dollars and that was without HBO and any premium channels. The answer to that question is a lot. The problem with cable you forced to get a bunch of channels you didn't want which is why cord cutting became popular. You were wasting a ton of money on channels you didn't want.

The so called problem is people believe they are entitled to everything. So they see a bunch of streaming services as problem when the reality is that is what we have always wanted. The current system lets you pick want, Clearly all of the streaming service aren't going to work so either two things are going to happen when they start to struggle

1. They are going to team up and try to force package on people
    2. Bigger companies are going to eat up the weak ones

This atmosphere is better for consumers imo,Streaming services have to put out unique exclusive content to draw customers or die. The services dying and other companies suck them up is preferable to them, sticking around because we are forced to get them in packages.

CBS all access is being add to Paramount Plus aka Viacom aka CBS, BET, MTV,Nickelodeon, Showtime and Paramount Library

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/2...nal-disney-hbo

So Basically

NBC/Universal-Peacock
    Viacom/CBS- Paramount Plus
    Warner media- HBOmax
    Disney- Disney Plus
    Sony- Nothing

Netflix
    Amazon
    Apple

Things aren't bad people make it out to be it will stabilize soon enough. Competition is good.
    Does that mean I get Paramount plus with my Showtime subscription then? Cause I don't have Peacock or none of that but I do have showtime. My HBO subscription through Hulu gave me access to HBO max. Just have to use my Hulu login. I mean my Showtime subscription costs more then they are gonna charge for the base Paramount plus subscirption.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Does that mean I get Paramount plus with my Showtime subscription then? Cause I don't have Peacock or none of that but I do have showtime. My HBO subscription through Hulu gave me access to HBO max. Just have to use my Hulu login. I mean my Showtime subscription costs more then they are gonna charge for the base Paramount plus subscirption.
    No clue as yet, You have to hope every thing gets merged but this is a case where Nick, Showtime and CBS are all making money for them so merging them together might make less money. But having a bunch of additional services you will anger customers so it might better that they put them under one service. I think the smart move is to cannibalize Showtime like how WB did to HBO Max. I mean Showtime is the solid draw adding on misc stuff makes it a must a get. But I don't think they have settle on the fine details yet.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Honestly, now that Marvel's Infinity Saga has ended, I'm fine with studios focusing on lower budgets and streaming - I pay for those already.
    This is my viewpoint, as well. Maybe if they had planned for something more exciting this year than a BW prequel and Eternals... but Endgame seems like a good finale for the billion dollar blockbuster era. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree, though.

Retired

What I like about the theatrical experience, once the movie starts I know I'm there for the duration and I'm on this journey, there's no stopping. So I'm totally focused on the movie, don't even eat popcorn, sit close to the screen so there's no peripheral distractions. However, everyone else in the theatre isn't on the same page. They have a hundred other things going on while the movie is running. It's just as easy for them to be distracted in a theatre as at home.

Watching movies at home, I can be very casual about what I'm watching--I might be cooking dinner while a movie is on. But if it's a movie that I'm keenly interested in, I'm just as focused as in the theatre. I think the main difference is I'm a lot harder on movies at home than in the theatre. At home, I look at the movie with a more critical eye--whereas in a theatre I surrender to the movie and give it a lot of license.

Box office update.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/the-hon...ce-1234598767/

Honest thief makes $225k at domestic box office on thurs. (they are still doing thurs first screenings?)

Honest thief to make $4m this weekend.

Nightmare before christmas and hocas pocus doing well. (our drive in is playing both in a double bill by the way!)

Disney had a one-two-punch with Halloween catalog titles in spots 3 and 4, respectively, with this weekend’s re-release of the Tim Burton production The Nightmare Before Christmas and weekend 3 of Hocus Pocus. Nightmare did $465K yesterday at 2,194 theaters, on its way to a $1M-plus weekend, while Hocus Pocus did $251K yesterday at 1,640, looking at a 3-day take around $700K.
    https://deadline.com/2020/10/the-hon...ce-1234598767/

Demon slayer the movie a hit at the overseas box office. (and before the guy who complains i post the same thing in two topics a heads up as i am posting this in the anime topic also.)

$40m in three days.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/demon-s...ce-1234599364/

Big news this weekend out of Japan where anime adaptation Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train shattered all-time opening records. The film, which opened on Friday October 16, as opposed to the usual Saturday/Sunday weekend, is estimated to have grossed upwards of $30M for the three-day. This number could rise above $40M, but box office figures are tightly controlled out of Japan, and so we won’t know for sure on an actual until tomorrow. Regardless, it’s agreed, the debut is wild.

Putting it into some perspective, Frozen 2 opened to a 3-day of $18.2M at historical rates.

IMAX, for its part on Demon Slayer, says it is currently enjoying a record-setting opening weekend. However, due to local customs, the official weekend number isn’t coming until tomorrow.

Such was the anticipation for this Haruo Sotozaki-directed Demon Slayer locally that screenings began at 7AM on Friday and some theaters, according to reports, were playing it up to 40 times per day. From Aniplex and Ufotable, and released by Aniplex and Toho, Demon Slayer is based on the manga Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba by Koyoharu Gotoge. It was then adapted into a TV series and Mugen Train (aka Infinity Train) is the direct follow-up to that.

The Japanese government relaxed cinema capacity restrictions in mid-September, but some are understood to nevertheless have been cautious about the number of seats they sell, and concessions are not available everywhere.

The Demon Slayer story sees Tanjiro Kamado and friends from the Demon Slayer corps board the Infinity Train on a new mission to investigate a mysterious series of disappearances perpetrated by a demon who has been tormenting people and killing the demon slayers who oppose it.

Japan has had some notable local successes as moviegoing has ramped up again in the past few months. They include the latest Doreamon ($30M+ cume) and From Today, It’s My Turn with $48M. Both pictures released over the summer. Japan is also a big market on Christopher Nolan’s Tenet with $21.6M after five sessions.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-18-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Demon slayer movie hits $100m at the box office!

https://deadline.com/2020/10/demon-s...ce-1234602427/

BANNED

Ryan Reynolds’ “Free Guy” reportedly going to Disney+
    Wonder Woman 1984 reportedly going to theaters and HBO MAX same day release.